Getting the forum back on track

by Simon 147 Replies latest forum announcements

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I believe that people that challenge another person's right to an opinion should, in fact, have the burden to prove it wrong instead of the person who expresses opinions or predictions proving it right. Many times, we predict something and it turns out wrong (how often do the leaders of the Watchtower Society do things that are designed to be extremely difficult to prove and even harder to spot?

A key example of this was that I spotted on www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/115757/1.ashx that the Watchtower Society passed a resolution banning entertainment. When I posted that observation, several posters (whom I will not mention the names because I do not want to start a flame war) demanded proof of it beyond what was on that thread. The resolution was worded in such a way that it was extremely difficult to spot that. And, sure enough (if the April 2008 Kool Aid is correct, and I think the threads about it that are starting to appear are), they are starting to enact that ban (too much fun is a "valueless thing"). Now, people do have the right to argue that they don't see where entertainment is being banned, but people demanding proof when it is worded so it would be nearly impossible to prove on matters like that might put off other posters that might see similar trends in the Watchtower Society.

As for lies about personal matters, I do not give a fxxx about these things. As I believe in allowing freedom of personal lifestyle, and most of those things do not affect me, I have absolutely no problem except when someone is soliciting donations for some scam (like those Nigerian scams I have been seeing a lot of everywhere). That kind of drama has no effect on me, since I am not in the least interested in controlling others. And, when they abruptly change courses, often it's someone exercising free will (which is inherently unpredictable). I usually ignore most of the insults on personal problem threads, since unless I can offer something rational to deal with or remove the personal problem, I usually stay out of such things.

I think most of us have had enough of having to back up everything we say with official sources. The Watchtower Society forces every opinion to be backed up by their material. I, for one, prefer a religiously neutral forum where we all have the freedom to pursue whatever we want, or no religion at all. And, I like being able to make observations and predictions based on what I know, even if it is wrong, and being able to correct myself if necessary (even if someone consistently predicts the same thing and is wrong, the sole penalty is that they will be embarrassed when that date comes up and nothing happens). We all make stupid mistakes, we all have opinions and predictions about what we think is likely to happen. And I look forward to continuing to use this forum to express those opinions, and to read differing opinions from different posters (hoping to refine my predictions further).

And, helping others that land on this forum. Better to tell them that the witless organization is very bad and it's only bad, and they leave a bad organization, than tell them only that it is bad and they stay (it isn't that bad) only to get stung with a very bad organization.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thank you Simon

As most of you know I have been working on the Best of for a long time. Here is what I have found over time

Initially the topics on JWD were mainly about discussing the errors of WTS teachings/beliefs.

Then there was a slight shift to how the WTS controlled people and fit into the various classifications of cult/thought reform/mind control.

By the time the third shift started the doctrinal topics were pretty much gone unless there was a scandal - UN, Malawi/Mexico, sexual abuse. This shift is now mostly rehashed - except for 2 big issues - sexual abuse and blood.

Along with the scandal topics there has been a strong focus on recovery, Dealing with the losses, shunning, anger at being lied to and being used, coping with life outside the WT walls, etc.

During all these shifts in focus, the "fluff" threads were weaving their way through all the above topics. Initially I could go through a page of topics (20 topics per page) and find 3 or 4 topics that were fluff. Now I can go through 4-5 pages (80-100 topics) and pull out 1 or 2 topics that I can add to the Best of.

That is a vast change. Granted there are times when topics like blood, and sexual abuse get a lot of attention. And I do believe that much of what we refer to as fluff is healing. If you have been a JW for any length of time and then left you are bound to face situations where you have no idea how non JWs cope - from filling out job application forms (how do you explain 20 years as a pioneer?) to how do I decorate a xmas tree.

A good laugh is a great healer of inner wounds. We need it. Life as a JW gives few opportunities to just let go and enjoy life now that we have all this extra time on our hands. We need to find ways to express our emotions freely and honestly without hurting others or ourselves.

But going through dozens of topics of "what color is your car?" is very discouraging to me.

Personally I think JWD is a great place to get informed about the WTS. Sometimes we have info before the JWs do - AWESOME

It is a great place for non-JWs to find support and help when they find themselves standing on opposide sides of their WT-controlled JW/ex-JW.

It's a great place to get support when you have lost everybody and everything you held dear as a JW.

And yes it is a great place to learn to interact with others who "have been there', to learn how to discuss topics without that "my way or the highway" thinking of JWs, and to learn how to turn off that WT-judgemental mindset.

Fluff is a good thing but JWD has been so much more and personally I would love to see it get back to that.

Lee

• minimus
    minimus

I think it's good that we all get back on track here too. Well said, Simon.

Regarding some of the older posts----I think we ALL have grown to some degree. Obviously, there's more room for growth in our dealings with fellow posters. We shouldn't allow certain posters to get nasty with others and let others get away with it.

I think this "timely reminder" from Simon is on the mark and there isn't a person here that can't improve on how they deal with individuals. I'm confident that those responsible for keeping the place in order will lead by example and we will have a more inviting forum because after all, this site is to HELP JWs and those recovering from the cult.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon
    It's slightly cool at the moment ... below -31 yesterday and -45 with windchill . Took me agest to defrost after clearing the snow off the path!

Discovered the joys of a block heater yet?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    It's slightly cool at the moment ... below -31 yesterday and -45 with windchill

If you are dressed properly the cold isn't so bad. It's the wind that will suck the air out of your lungs. Remember water thrown into the air will freeze before it hit the ground . . . although I did see a demonstration on the news a couple of days ago where the water turned to vapor as soon as it was thrown

The really bad thing about weather that is that cold - it doesn't last for a day. It can last for weeks.

I hated winter on the prairies. Right now I thinkI am in the right place too far east for the western weather and too far west for the eastern weather. . . . although that doesn't stop the northern weather from getting us.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Simon..It`s a different life here in the Great White North eh?..After you shovel the snow off the driveway and side walk..You have to throw "Ice Salt" down,on the pavement or cement.."Ice Salt" is larger granule`s of salt..It keeps ice build up,off walkways and driveways..And..Keeps people from slipping,falling and causeing themselves serious injury......You can pick it up at "Hardware Stores" and some "Grocery Stores".......I just bought a 40kg bag of "Sifto Ice Salt" for under $7.00...................OUTLAW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Lady Lee,

But going through dozens of topics of "what color is your car?" is very discouraging to me.

I agree completely, though I would use the phrase 'bloody irritating' rather than 'discouraging'. It is my frequently noted viewpoint that were the 'chat' feature installed on this Board many of the pointless and inane threads that clutter the Board would be a thing of the past. You may not have as big a board, but it would certainly be a more worthwhile read.

I know that the chat feature was abused when it was available, but the moderators would I am sure spend the time they might save in not having to police a more serious Board, sorting out the idiots in chat, of which I am sure there would be plenty. Simon, once he has cleared the snow, could establish a feature that blocked certain ISP's from using chat, and keep some sort of control over it.

But then, I still cannot understand why Pizza Platoon Commanders like Bendrr, and sexual misfits like Barney Muldoon still manage to start numerous accounts on the Board.

HS

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Simon - this forum has helped me find out the truth about the cult and heal quickly. I have had the added benefit of meeting and making friends. I adore you for what you've done here. You have my support.

Lady Lee - Everytime I read one of your posts I love you more. You are an amazing human being.

As long as we get to keep Werewolf...

WLG - helps keep me sane.Now where is the line for spankings?

• 5go
    5go

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Now where is the line for spankings?

Starts with you...aight...you bigger folks line up and you little folks bunch up...here we go...

*whack* that's 1.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit