Getting the forum back on track

by Simon 147 Replies latest forum announcements

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minimus,

On a personal level I try not to succumb to being nasty just because someone is to me. Yesterday someone knocked me on a thread and I let it go.

lol...No sweetie, you just go on other Boards and wreak your revenge there.

HS

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Thx for posting that Simon

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

You are wrong Coffee!

I left the Dubbies because someone called me a jackass on a x-JW board. Previously, I had started questioning WT orthodoxy when someone compared me to a lower life form. I find that getting flamed convinces me more of the correctness of the other's argument than any logical argumentation. No one ever called me an idiot in the Watchtower so I left. Now I am free to be recieve the kind of offense that can only lead to personal growth.

Burn

• caliber
    caliber

1000 page essay will never convince me that rude is cool or in some way benefical ! It's either all about ME or consideration for others

I praise Coffee she is of the later one . Thank you for your experienced voice of reason and hope !

On another subject, we will no longer be allowing ANY solicitations for donations or funds from the forum without prior consent
    Without prior consent? So SOME solicitations will be allowed? I struggle to see the policy here!

Let me help you with your "struggle." Simon wants to prescreen solicitation posts because he apparently would like to weed out those that are obviously troublesome and that will most likely lead to the forum acrimony Simon started this thread to discuss. Since it's Simon and the moderators, and not you, who will deal with the fallout associated with any such solicitations, the "prior consent" requirement he is imposing seems rather fair and reasonable to me.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Caliber,

1000 page essay will never convince me that rude is cool or in some way benefical.

Nobody has argued what you have stated! I am not sure where you are getting your information from.

What has been argued where Coffee is concerned is:

1) Private telephone calls cannot be compared to public discussion boards.
    2) This board is a discussion board not a 'support' board. There are plenty of 'support' boards out there which provide private help, information, analyses etc.
    3) Posters who subscribe to this Board have read it before they subscribe and are well aware of its tenor BEFORE they start posting.
    4) The threads that bring the most passion are the political threads and those dealing with atheism/evolution/science etc. These are clearly labeled and no person gets trapped in these threads.
    5) A poster is one click away from discomfort.
    6) A certain level of unprejudiced maturity is required to understand the above issues.
    7) People should take responsibility for their own words. If this brings the world upon their heads, they should read their own posts and analyse where they have gone wrong, if they have.

Cheers - HS

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I have always tried to give credit where credit is due. Some of the posters have amazing things they share with us. I for one enjoy being shown a new link or website to find out more answers to some of my questions. I have been on this board for several years now. I have seen people come and go. Some that went were on account of their offensive behaviour. Others were told to leave because all they could do was cause wars. Or inflicting pain on others. And others just left to get on with their lives. Surely Simon has been a fair diplomat, His postion is by no means an easy one. Since I joined in 2001, I have made it my sole contention to do unto others as I would like others to do to me. I hope that I have lived up to that motto. When New ones come on the forum, just think of the wealth of information they are able to provide for those who have been out of the organization for many long years now. I love knowing the latest news of what is going on in the WTS. I love to be made aware of the latest stupidity going on in the congregations, Bethel. etc. I will always be indebted to Barbara Anderson and her husband and their friends who blew the whistle on the issue of pedophilia. And good ole Danny Haazard. Blondie is an excellent sourse of information , I swear she must be a fly or a fairy on the walls in Bethels inner sanctum.

I am by no means a perfect person and maybe without knowing it I might have offended someone and if I have I wish to apoligize for it right now. I have had several years of misadventures and mishaps and recently the lose of my wonderful husband. All of you have been so supportive of me. With out your kind words, prayers and vibes I know I couldn't have survived with out this kindness. Nothing makes me happier when I get a PM from someone on the forum thanking me for some little thing I may have said. To them I will always be grateful. Many years ago I wrote a letter to the governing body. My grammer has never been my strong point. And one poster privately messaged me and asked if she could help me in adjusting some of my grammatical mistakes. It was something I was glad for. Or the posters who contact me and ask me how I have been feeling these days since losing Marco. All this makes coming here to JWD a highlight in my daily life. I appreciated the help another poster has been to me for wanting to make my life easier. I can't begin to thank that person enough. Our dear sweet Mouthy, Grace well she sure is one fine lady. I apprecaite what ever any poster puts on the board, except for the nasty things. I don't like that at all . We all have been hurt by the wTS, why would we want to hurt each other here in the forum where we come for understanding and support.

I guess what I am saying is this , if I treat others with respect then I know for sure I will in turn be treated in fairness and respected back. I have never had an arguement with anyone that I am aware of. I try to maintain peace. I love this forum and have made some fasinating friends and rekindled friendships from persons who knew me when I lived in Montreal and other parts of the world. Imagine my suprise when I meet someone who knows me personally from many long years ago. Quite frankly being on JWD is like living in a small world. Someone knows someone who knows someone else and that is how we make and get re aquainted with freinds.

I dislike the bickering and fighting on the board. It is counter productive. But we all have different personalities and are a different levels in our escapism from the WTS. And everyone has their own eccentricities and we are far from perfect.

Remembering that Simon is an kind person who puts up with all of these different personalities and our traits its a good thing he is rather patient. I can understand his concerns and appreciate that he brings them to our attention. None of us I am certian, wants to dilibrately make Simon annoyed. But thinking before we post and then rereading it will sometimes prevent things that shouldn't be said.

Thanks Simon for all the good work you do on behalf and please give my best regards to your wife Ang.

Orangefatcat.

• Trevanian
    Trevanian

orangefatcat, my eyes now hurt, thanks.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    7) People should take responsibility for their own words.

Stickler.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

7) People should take responsibility for their own words.

Stickler. yeah - Hillary, couldn't you at least back down on this one point? Everyone would get along so much better. BTW - I love it when you Pout.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit