Getting the forum back on track

by Simon 147 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

Recently we seem to have had a few different dramas and subsequent fallout on the fourm which I feel has detracted from its purpose. With this in mind we have decided that we need to bring the forum back on track and as such we will be clamping down on a lot of the aggressive / insulting posts which have begun to become the norm for a few people.

We will also be clamping down on the paranoid assusation type of comments against newbies, if someone joins the fourm and you do not believe everything they post - so what, why do we need to hound them away with shouts of troll and fake etc, just ignore them if you dont beleive them. Just because someone may not express themselves well doesn't automatically mean they are fake.

If people post stories online and there are major inconsistencies then people have the right to challenge them and to know if they are for real. If the person chooses not to respond then that is a response in itself and people can draw their own conclusions from it.

On the other hand, many of the supposed falsehoods are trivial, unimportant or could be misunderstandings and I fail to see why people get soo emotional about them. Has someone told a lie on the internet and you found them out? Wowee ...

Frankly, it's pathetic how some people behave though from both sides. Some people are getting far too worked up and involved over what is just an anonymous (to them) screen name on another computer somewhere in the world. We do not need the whole constant drama and it encourages people who just seek attention.

If you cannot cope with an anonymous person on the internet possibly not being everything they describe then you should NOT get so emotionally involved with them in the first place. By all means make acquaintences online but don't imagine you are really best pals with someone you don't know and have never met.

On another subject, we will no longer be allowing ANY solicitations for donations or funds from the forum without prior consent, no matter how well intentioned or well deserving the cause may appear to be as time and again it appears to cause trouble. There have been several incidents lately where we've had to put up with the fallout of people getting bent out of shape over things like (often from other places) this so it just saves us having to get involved. There is nothing to stop anyone contacting people privately but we will no longer be allowing the open fourm to be used for this purpose.

Thanks
    - Simon

• watson
    watson

Appreciate you looking after it Simon.

Thanks

• flipper
    flipper

Good comments Simon , I think you covered most of the bases. I am all for getting it back on track ! Peace out , Mr. Flipper

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

we were off track? I am always the LAST to know these things.........................

~Hill

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks, this kind of balanced approach is desperately needed. The forum has been a life-saver to so many, let's keep it that way.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Thank you Simon...and thanks for working so hard on this forum.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Makes sense, and is much appreciated. I for one have felt anxious lately that I'm going to be lynched if I can't prove who I am in real life. I know I'm real, and I also know I don't want my JW family to know who I am here. I don't lie, but I also am not going to provide identifying proof if I am questioned, not on a public scale anyway. I think the entire forum needs to be refocused as to its actual purpose, and your comments really point to reaching that goal.

Thanks.

• frozen one
    frozen one

I noticed a lot of those threads. I chalked it up to good old fashioned cabin fever.

Cabin Fever

Come on summer!!

• quietlyleaving
  • PEC
    PEC

Back to what most of us came here for, thanks.

Philip

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit