Getting the forum back on track

by Simon 147 Replies latest forum announcements

• changeling
    changeling

Thank you for addressing all this Simon.

changeling

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Did somebody mention spankings?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Thank God the Zoo Keeper is Back!!.....Simon..I have absolutely no Idea how you stay Sane.....You do an Incredible Job!!.....I couldn`t do it..It would make me crazy!...OUTLAW

• parakeet
    parakeet

Thank you, Simon, for "clamping down on a lot of the aggressive / insulting posts"......for explaining that "many of the supposed falsehoods are trivial, unimportant or could be misunderstandings and I fail to see why people get soo emotional about them.".....for emphasizing that "We do not need the whole constant drama and it encourages people who just seek attention."

To back up what you say, Simon, I found a post from several years ago that can serve as an example of those negative aspects you wish to correct:

-----------------------------------

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/83690/1.ashx

Excerpts:

"What a numbskull [I PRESUME THE REFERENCE IS TO U.S. PRES. BUSH],,,,,,,

"These Bozo's [INSULT] need to stop with the persecution complex, own up to the major fuck-ups [OUCH! PROFANITY] they make and accept that they badly miscalculated and are now just looking for an easy way to bail out and run back home while saving face......

"While the media is rightly critical theay cannot just stick the magic stamp of success on it, declare it a job well done and piss off home .....[AGAIN WITH THE INSULTS, AND SOUNDING JUST A BIT EMOTIONAL, TOO].

"You cannot saturation bomb people and then expect them to be supportive or worship you for "saving them" from the asshole dictator that YOU supported. [THE "YOU" THIS POSTER IS ATTACKING IS AMERICAN JWD POSTERS, NOT AMERICANS IN GENERAL. I THINK IT'S SAFE TO SAY THAT AMERICANS IN GENERAL DO NOT COME TO THIS SITE TO GET NEWS ANALYSES.]

------------------------------------

I don't have the time to find other, even more virulent diatribes from this poster, but they're out there, oh yes, they are.

Glass houses and stones. Do the math, Simon.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Parakeet,

You are taking Simon way out of context here. First of all, what Simon is trying to stop is attacks and insults by posters against each other. In the recent board flare-ups, Simon has not attacked or insulted any posters on the board.

Your quote from Simon was a criticism of a certain story written by a member of the military, LTC Tim Ryan who was criticizing "negative" media coverage of the Iraq war.

"What a numbskull [I PRESUME THE REFERENCE IS TO U.S. PRES. BUSH],,,,,,,

The "numbskull" Simon referred to was Ryan, not Pres. Bush.

"These Bozo's [INSULT] need to stop with the persecution complex, own up to the major fuck-ups [OUCH! PROFANITY] they make and accept that they badly miscalculated and are now just looking for an easy way to bail out and run back home while saving face......

Again, Simon did not insult another poster here. And profanity is not an issue with the recent board flare-ups.

"While the media is rightly critical theay cannot just stick the magic stamp of success on it, declare it a job well done and piss off home .....[AGAIN WITH THE INSULTS, AND SOUNDING JUST A BIT EMOTIONAL, TOO].

I see no insult here at all.

"You cannot saturation bomb people and then expect them to be supportive or worship you for "saving them" from the asshole dictator that YOU supported. [THE "YOU" THIS POSTER IS ATTACKING IS AMERICAN JWD POSTERS, NOT AMERICANS IN GENERAL. I THINK IT'S SAFE TO SAY THAT AMERICANS IN GENERAL DO NOT COME TO THIS SITE TO GET NEWS ANALYSES.]

Finally the "you" I see Simon addressing is not American JWD posters, but a general "you" mainly involving the American military planners. JWD posters never supported Saddam Hussein as far as I remember -- but the American government did way back in the 1980's in his country's war against Iran.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Gopher, Simon got overly emotional, used insults and profanity (all of which he condemns in this thread), and I believe he WAS addressing American JWD posters. I certainly didn't see his editorial comments appear anywhere in the Associated Press.

As I said before, the only Americans that read that post were JWD members. Simon was venting, and he didn't care who he may have injured with his comments. The spirit of the post, although not directed to any individual JWD member, was to insult Americans in general and American JWD posters in particular.

I don't mind if he wants to "clean house," but he should at least have the decency not to exclude himself from JWD offenders.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Simon's a good joe!

You gotta be to put up with all our shenanagens. A real Anarchist at heart,

• Gopher
    Gopher

Parakeet, I really don't need to take up for Simon; he does fine without me. But since he's off the board for the night I just couldn't let these darts stay up on your target (Simon).

Simon got overly emotional, used insults and profanity (all of which he condemns in this thread),

Please point out where he used the words "emotion" and "profanity" (or any form of those words) anywhere in this thread , if you can do so.

As far as "insults", you and I have a difference here. If we were to avoid ALL insults to anyone outside the board, then we would have to guard everything we said about Governing Body members or politicians. I don't think this is what Simon was addressing in the original post on this thread. He was addressing recent board flare-ups here where board members were taking shots at each other. You dragged in an example from the year 2005, well before the recent flare-ups, and well before you were even on this board!

and I believe he WAS addressing American JWD posters.

So you make this assessment, and therefore believe you should call out Simon based on your assessment?

As I said before, the only Americans that read that post were JWD members. Simon was venting, and he didn't care who he may have injured with his comments.

Please explain the extent of the injury you sustained, or that anyone else may have sustained. Wait, you couldn't have sustained injury -- you weren't even on the board yet.

So maybe your point is -- nobody should insult an outsider that another board member agrees with, just in case that board member might get hurt feelings?

Let's keep our eye on the ball here. The main point of this board is to help people either to critically understand JW theology or to gain support for leaving the JW's. it's not mainly about who's right or wrong in political issues, important as those may be in the real world outside this forum.

• fifi40
    fifi40

Parakeet

Simon is SPECIFICALLY talking about the fall outs between board members based on the premise that a poster has lied about personal details, is misrepresenting themselves or is seeking in some way to exploit other board members either in an emotional or financial way. He also mentions newbies and highlights that it would be better to be welcoming to them, rather than accusing of them.

He is not talking about differing opinions on subject matters, or the right to express your opinion.

To correctly accuse Simon of being in a 'glass house' you need to look back at threads involving Trevorgate, RichieRich or the latest 'accusing of posters based soap type threads'.............I think you may find far less mud to sling, but rather a balanced approach to such drama's as emphasised in his comments on this thread about not becoming quite so involved.

Please let the debates on religon, politics or whatever continue with all the passion of previous times.

Fifi

• brinjen
    brinjen

Nicely done, Gopher & fifi40.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit