by scumgrief 151 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

scum,

Keep it up, I like your style.

Joel

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Love is supporting an organization that intends to kill billions of innocent people simply for not joining up?You`ve got to be kidding...OUTLAW

• JBean
    JBean

Hi again SG. I know how you feel, wanting to do things out of love, and believing that you are. However, real love stems from the heart, and one does things for others because their heart motivates them to do so... NOT because they are told to do so from the congregation/elders, etc. Out of real love, people give blood, join the military to protect the citizens of their country, and to a lesser extent, serve with the Red Cross, assist with battered womens/childrens groups, the homeless, AIDS victims, etc. Ummmm... the organization frowns upon if not outright forbids joining or assiting with any of the above (and much, much more!). So... we are told to go out in service out of love. period. Oh, and yes, occassionally we may help out with some in the congregation that are weak or less fortunate than us... oh, and let's not forget to fee the CO when he visits... There's just SO much more to love and life than that. As you can tell... I'm just so tired of being told the same tape recording from the congregation over and over and over....

• scumgrief
    scumgrief

Thanks Joelbear.

Alliwannadoislive: I used to like Fear Factory a lot. Especially the demanufacture album. I still listen to them occasionally. My elders don't like it my music to much either, but I showed a couple of the elders some songs (by the Pumpkins and Nirvana) and the lyrics just to prove that there wasn't anything wrong with that "style" of music, it helped. Is your name from a Korn track? Thats what it sounds like to me. And thanks for the advice!

Dim: My reply will probably just tick you off, but I'm just being honest. Like others you've talked to, its not a big deal to me. I haven't dug into the matter to much, and haven't seen much official info. I guess to me its just a little thing that people are turning into a big earth-shattering event.

scum

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

scumgrief:

I see by some of your posts that you enjoy books of mythology, i.e. the Bible. May I suggest the "Iliad" by Homer. I strive to live my life much as Achilles did, killing Trojans and plotting to get even with my king, Agamemnon. I have had many rich blessings as a result.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Hi Scumgrief and welcome

You remind me of the younger generation of JW's between the ages of 17-25. You probably know little of the religion's history or even your present beliefs and you probably don't care.

I think it is good that you are here. You will learn lots and that is never a bad thing. You already have an open mind, and having sensed that, that is sufficient for most here to take it easy on you.

I think it is good that you are happy. To be happy is the goal of everyone, but to remain happy you will have to realize the importance of having a solid belief structure or philosophy in life. I hope you stick around and share your perspective with us.

Path

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Hi Scumgrief,

Just wanted to add my two cents and also welcome you to the board.

It doesn't surprise me that you are a happy active dub. I've been there and done that as well. I've met a lot of active and happy people in varying faiths and those who have no religion at all. In fact, the happiest two people I ever met in my life were two mentally challenged people who were a couple riding a city bus. There is no correlation with being mentally challenged and being happy.

However, some of us choose (but maybe not very many) to value other things more than happiness. Strange to say but true. I gave up my happiness in life, lost my entire extended family, way of life, friends, you name it for matters of principle. I've only had fleeting moments of really true happiness since but that was both my choice and I knew the stakes. If I had the chance to do it all over again, would I choose to put "truth" (insert a valid and workable conceptual version of reality here) over happiness?

You betcha. I just gotta be me.

Skipper

"The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. The religion which based on experience, which refuses dogmatic. If there's any religion that would cope the scientific needs it will be Buddhism...." Albert Einstein

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Why should you have to prove to the elders that some music isn't "wrong"? That's perfect example from your own mouth as to the fear driven basis of the JW religion. What special gift from god do the elders have for judging whether or not some music will be 'bad' for YOU? And had they decided that the music was indeed 'bad' would you have stopped listening to it? If you would, then you are letting another man/men be your consience, and if you would not, then you would be flying in the face of the JW athority structure (which can in the long run = DF'ing).

And as the UN thing being a little thing, perhaps. But can I ask you if you feel it would be OK for you, as a JW, to join the UN and support their charter? Could you as a JW work for the UN? That's what the WTBTS did. They volutarily associtated themselves with the UN, and by doing so SIGNED an agreement to support the UN's charter, and also agreed to use the WTBTS publications to diseminate information about the UN's works and programs. Could YOU as a JW print a newsletter informing people about the UN's programs/works? What would your elders think about this?

If you could NOT do the above, then why can the WTBTS?

And my 'obsession' with "_____ or die" stems from nothing that has happened to me personally. I just got sick of the same old message from every meeting that to 'gain salvation' you must attened every meeting, devote all available time to FS, study, etc. While the words may not BE "______ OR DIE!" the message IS that. The JW answer to every problem is 'more meetings, more FS, more study' or 'wait on Jehovah' - as if that will solve any problem. Well, in cases such as rape, marital problems, pedophilia, mental problems, sickness, etc you can't just tell a person "Well, just work harder at meetings, FS, study" and expect it to magically solve problems. It doesn't. Yet that's all the majority of elders are equiped to tell people.

• nelly136
    nelly136

you had to justify the music you listen to? wow they still do that then, I can remember losing quite a few of my records when I was younger, burn rubber on me by the gap band was one casualty lol
    nelly

• scumgrief
    scumgrief

Name, I didn't show the elders some of my music out of fear. I did it because it bugs me when anyone condemns my music without ever have listened to it. And no, I don't feel there is anything wrong with a person's spiritual head giving them some direction on certain things, including entertainment. That's is kinda what their job is. I am glad though that the elders don't condemn music based on what type it is anymore.

NameWitheld says: "Well, in cases such as rape, marital problems, pedophilia, mental problems, sickness, etc you can't just tell a person "Well, just work harder at meetings, FS, study" and expect it to magically solve problems."

You are absolutely right. Meetings and studying God's word don't magically make marriage problems and mental illness go away, but they sure as hell help. I know that from experience.

scum

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit