active and happy jw

by scumgrief 151 Replies latest jw friends

• outnfree
    outnfree

Hello, scumgrief!

and welcome to the board.

Sometimes newbies like to share a bit of their personal history with us at the Personal Experiences Forum. You might want to do so. Or, you might just like to read there for a while. It gives one some insight into where the different personalities are coming from on this board.

I look forward to getting to know you better. (I used to be a happy and active JW myself! )

outnfree

Par dessus toutes choses, soyez bons. La bonte est ce qui ressemble le plus a Dieu et ce qui desarme le plus les hommes -- Lacordaire

• scumgrief
    scumgrief

Farkel:
    You: Funny, that's what dubs typically do when they are cornered with the facts.
    Me: Don't stereotype, its offensive.

You: What part of "typically" do you have a hard time understanding?

Me:
    typ·i·cal (tp-kl)
    adj.
    Exhibiting the qualities, traits, or characteristics that identify a kind, class, group, or category: a typical suburban community.
    Of or relating to a representative specimen; characteristic or distinctive.

sounds a lot like stereotyping to me! (ie people with purple skin are TYPICALLY dumber then people with white skin...)

Outnfree: Thanks for the welcome! When I have a chance later I will try to post some personal for everyone.

scum

• serenaj92
    serenaj92

Welcome, I just left the org. There were some that made an effort to shun me before I even left, turning their heads, avoiding eye contact, not saying hi or acknowledging me no matter what nice thing I would say to them, like "Hi how are you, how have you been." All because I said I wasn't interested in starting bible studies with people. My personal reason was I didn't feel qualified. That was what sent me over the edge. The shunning is cruel. It goes on in the kingdom halls even when a person is an active witness, gets worse when they start intoverting from depression or other reasons. At work I worked with alot of them. They started treating me this way in front of the boss and other coworkers that weren't witness and making complete asses out of themselves. Fortunately by there own actions, all that was doing this was forced to learn manners. But since it is such a problem in so many congregations, congregations being clicks, that I heard a rumor that NY was going to send some "Spies" out to stomp the problem. Have you heard anything?

• scumgrief
    scumgrief

Seranaj, I am sorry for the way that you were treated. I know that I and most of the congregations I am familiar with do not treat people this way, and its a shame that your's did. I haven't heard about this "spies" thing until now. But if this is happening in some congregations, I hope it is taken care of ASAP.
    scum

• Tammie
    Tammie

Just checking something.

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Dear Scum,
    I'm glad you found your way to us. You seem intelligent, friendly, and reasonable. I'm glad you're here, and hope you stay. You'll find some here still working through a lot of justifiable anger towards what has proven to be a cruel organization. I hope, as you pointed out, it won't be focused on you personally. You have come here to discuss. You have attacked no one. Sorry, this is quite unusual for a self proclaimed good JW. They usually attack right away, we get defensive, they get offensive....round and round it goes. But good healthy debate is a wonderful thing.
    Glad you're here. It's refreshing, you'll find being able to say anything without censure. That's not to say some won't call you on the organization's teachings, prophesies, or puported lies, etc. but hang in there.
    Love and welcome,
    Bridgette

• JBean
    JBean

Welcome aboard SG! I was a newbie not too long ago... and am still in. I'm just wondering what brought you to this board, and then what prompted you to write? You say you're happy... but you obviously are curious. What sparked your curiosity? I know what sparked mine... the folks in the congregations I'm associated with have gotten meaner and angrier (and more strange) as the years go by. They are absolutely the most hypocritical individuals I've ever been in contact with. Most (not all) seem to feel that because they are baptized, they can say and do almost anything... as long as they don't associate with 'worldly' people. In "closed" groups of Witnesses, I've never heard so much swearing and backbiting. How absurd! Also... once I started reading here, I was astounded at all the supposed lies we've been taught our entire lives! I'm still not ready to make a physical break... but emotionally I'm out. How can a person stay "active" and happy when the organization is FULL of mistakes and falsehoods? It's quite confusing. Hope to hear from you often. --Jbean

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

Hi Scum,

You seen like a nice person. Ultimatly, I hope that turns out to be true.

I have a hard time writing to you and being nice because my family has a crack down the center of it as big as the grand canyon. All do to the teachings of the WTS. Do some research and tell me your feelings on the Sept 15, '81 Watchtower's stance on how to treat family members who are not witnesses. Not your witness opinion, but your heartfelt feelings.

I'm glad you have come to the board and am looking forward to your comments,

Sunny

minds are like parachutes--they only function when open.

• Escargot
    Escargot

Welcome and good luck!

Erasmus (1520 AD): "If we want truth, every person ought to be free to speak what they think without fear."

• scumgrief
    scumgrief

Its great to hear from all of you who are being..well..nice! Thanks! I'm sorry if I don't get to everyone's comments, there have been so many! But I'll do my best.

To last 4 of you, thanks for the kind welcome.

JBean: I'm not here as a result of any mistreatment or resentment I have toward the wts. I have been reading here for a while out of curiosity I suppose, and decided to speak up finally because a lot of things that are said here about the wts and congregations are outright lies, some that make me laugh they are so preposterous. So I would like to speak up on some things that are talked about, and give people an honest opinion from a member of the organization.

And for me, I feel that in any religion there are going to be people that are hypocritical, and self-righteous, but the bible even said that the congregation would be infiltrated by those kinds of people. And I guess that I can stay active and happy knowing that I'm not one of those people, I avoid those kind of people, and so do my friends and family. And I hope that maybe someday you are able to find a congregation and friends that treat you the way you should be treated.

:)

California sunshine, I'll look that up when I get a chance later. But without reading I would say that any family members that aren't witnesses should be treated like family. That is how I treat them. I have a large family that I get to see quite often (aunts, uncles, cousins) and none of them have ever been witnesses (mostly catholic). And we are able to have some nice "religious" discussions.

scum

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit