FlyingHighNow

Yikes.

• journey-on
    journey-on

http://www.tucc.org/about.htm

Here is what some of this website says:

(sounds just a teeny bit racist to me)

About Us

We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Thanks, Journey-on.

Well, from what I've read over there I don't think that is a racist church and I don't have a problem with it. If he were a member of say, the Nation of Islam, then I would have problem.

• juni
    juni

I just read your words now lisa....I copied the entire page.

Africa Ministry

- I Peter 2:9

REMEMBER THESE WORDS APPLIED TO THE 144,000 OF THE JWs? Do you feel warm and fuzzy w/people being set apart like that? I don't.

Our Mission

Facilitate cultural and spiritual sojourns to Africa for members and their families under the leadership of Senior Pastor, Rev. Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr.

Our Vision

The Christian Education sojourns to Africa are designed to provide an experience that will help participants affirm their personal, cultural, and spiritual connection to Africa as her daughters and sons. The trips will also give vision to the tasks Trinitarians have been chosen to do in support of and advocacy for Africans in the Diaspora.

As an outgrowth of these spiritual sojourns, the Africa Ministry has specific objectives inspired by Dr. Wright that call us to:

• Create or enhance an Africentric identity
    • Create an awareness and sensitivity to the joys and concerns of Africa
    • Make contact and have dialog with African Christians and those of other faiths
    • Open the way for ties that will link African Christians with their continental sisters and brothers
    • Provide support for African institutions and causes on the continent that empower the self-determination and development of their constituents, consistent with the theology and mission of Trinity United Church of Christ

Our Purpose

The world was created in Africa and Ethiopia became the first Christian country in the world. Africa and her children gave birth to the cultural and educational heritage of the world!

I QUESTION THE ACCURACY OF THIS STATEMENT ^. ACTUALLY I'M SURPRISED THEY CLAIM THIS ....

The strength of the African people in our ability to resist and overcome our oppressors provides inspiration for liberation everywhere especially the sons and daughters of Africa here in North America. Just as those of Jewish heritage advocate on behalf of the state of Israel, and those of Irish heritage advocate on behalf of Ireland, and those of Polish descent for Poland, so must we of African descent care about the land of our heritage—the Continent of Africa.

The Africa Ministry is comprised of eight subcommittees that provide insight into those issues facing the continent and its people today. These subcommittees work to identify, affirm, and support the following areas:

Advocacy

Advocates politically and socially on behalf of African countries.

Africa Travel

Coordinates and plans the Christian Education sojourns to Africa and the African Diaspora.

Communications & Ministry Promotion

Promotes awareness and informs members of ministry activities. Works to involve the church in ministry activities through promotional campaigns, a newsletter, website, and new member packet.

Education

Works to educate the congregation and community about Africa and those issues that impact the continent today.

Interfaith/Mission Collaborations

Works collaboratively with other denominations and faiths around issues that impact Africa and African-American people.

MA'AFA and Related Special Events

Plans the MA'AFA biennial production/performance and conference. Provides the congregation and community with Lessons from the MA'AFA throughout the year.

Youth

Works to create awareness among Trinity youth and young adult ministries with respect to our African heritage. Encourages youth participation, representation, and membership in the Africa Ministry.

Come! We Invite You to Participate

The Africa Ministry is a growing ministry—diverse in its focus—but unified in its goals and as all other ministries at Trinity, it is open to any who desire to participate. In addition to receiving the reports of ongoing activities of the subcommittees, the Africa Ministry focuses on a particular country and issue at each meeting. The entire congregation is invited.

Ultimately, we seek to fulfill a small part of Trinity’s Mission Statement mandate which states that as a chosen people through our African-focused witness "&ldots;acknowledge that we will—building on this affirmation of who we are and whose we are call men, women, boys and girls to the liberating love of Jesus Christ, inviting them to become part of the church universal responding to Jesus’ command that we go into all the world and make disciples!"

Ministry Meeting Dates for 2005:

• February 24
    • March 18
    • April 15
    • May 13
    • June 17
    • July 15
    • August 19
    • September 16
    • October 21
    • November 18
    • December 16

*Meeting Time: 6:30 p.m.

Meeting Location:
    Trinity United Church of Christ
    400 West 95th Street
    Chicago, Ill 60628

Lessons from the MA'AFA Series

Lesson I
    The Mis-Education of the Negro
    by Carter G. Woodson

Lesson II
    Before the Mayflower
    by Lerone Bennett, Jr.

Lesson III
    Race Matters
    By Cornel West

Lesson IV
    The Debt
    By Randall Robinson

Site by WinW

• juni
    juni
    The term diaspora (in Ancient Greek, d?asp??? – "a scattering or sowing of seeds") refers to any people or ethnic population who are forced or induced to leave their traditional homelands, the dispersal of such people, and the ensuing developments in their culture

I found this at Wikopaedia..... very interesting information there for another thread on DIASPORA and other ethnic groups.

I forgot to highlight this statement which I thought was telling...

Advocacy

Advocates politically and socially on behalf of African countries.

Again.... The President of this country serves all kinds of people in this country - many ethnic groups and religions. There's no place for advocating one group over another.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Afro-centric, yes. Racist, no.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I don't believe any President is anything but a puppet, they all feed for the same trough.

I like Obama's message, but this democracy is a lie and it is picked and choosen before any one us goes to the polls.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Obama for President of Iowa?

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

Well, you should want BO to be our next prez, IF you:

want higher taxes(especially the "rich"--which in the eyes of the dems is usually anyone that makes over a 200k/yr)

want socialized/government-run health care

believe the 'war on terror' is a fairy tale and we, the US, have no real enemies in the world that want to do us harm, including Iran

think that we, the americans, are the cause of all the bad in the world today

want open borders and no real plan to end illegal immigration

want bigger government instead of less of it involved in our daily lives

That's certainly not what I want.

• juni
    juni

Speaking of Martin Luther King and his contribution to society by addressing the issues of his black heritage...

But even the sharp attacks by more militant blacks, and even such prominent critics as Muslim leader Malcolm X, have not diminished his stature. However, criticism did not consist of mere blind attacks. Stokely Carmichael was a separatist and disagreed with King's plea for racial integration because he considered it an insult to a uniquely African American culture

King was definitely NOT a separatist. He was proud of his ethnic background, BUT he understood the benefit of integrating into society comprised of all other ethnic groups (read up on the DIASPORA at Wikopaedia)and NOT be Afrocentric.

I hope you do more research into the spokesman of Obama's Trinity church.... Dr. Wright.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit