I sure hope Obama is our next President

by Elsewhere 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    A black president that won't salute the American flag, and has a father that is an extremist Muslim.

I did research on both of those rumors.

It is a false urban legend that his father is a radical islamist. His father was a moderate Muslim

Obama, one time, did not place his hand on his heart as per the tradition. You cannot say, based on one instance, that he "won't salute the American flag".

Has there ever been a time when you failed to put your hand on your heart? You want to tell me you have 100% observance of the tradition?

• Gregor
    Gregor
    Do you seriously thin Middle America is ready for him?

"I do. I think America is ready for a black President..." Elsewhere Correction, Else. You made the assumption that skin color was what was being referred to. I thiink Stilla was referring to his politics. My point is taken by most of the follow up posts including the idiot who claims that the majority of voters are redneck racists. It was the majority of Americans who stood behind the recognition and promotion of Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice. It was the racist blacks and liberals who tried to destroy them. Obama has a convenient skin color. If he was a Republican he would be trashed by most of you.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

With what I know...or think I know I like Obama. Then, I like Edwards.

Everybody talks about experience being so vital in the game of politics. I can't totally disagree, but if you look around at current leaders (world-wide) "experience" many times just means leaders have learned to keep their jobs (power) and their countries are kept in a rut...until they are gone.

It is my opinion that no leader should ever get more than one 4 year term. Then, let someone with new ideas get into power. I believe, if they knew they had a deadline, they would work harder to fulfill their campaign promises to the citizens who elected them. No more 'career' politicians !

Since Bush, a very experienced leader, has cost our citizens many, many lives and 1.5 t r i l l i o n $$$$$. That our kids and grandkids will have to pay off !

And YET ! He and the Republicans say the US just cannot AFFORD UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE for it's citizens. US citizens health is obviously less important than policing the rest of the world and spreading 'our' ideology.

So, yes...I want change. I demand change. Whichever candidate has the best healthcare and less war plan -- will get my vote.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Why should not saluting the flag be an issue, if it is then all we can hope for is some brain washed flag saluters, who beleive in our country right or wrong.

I'd say give the american people something more than these flag waven, I beleive in the government, and the republic for which it stands, pledgeing of allegence to the flag assholes, and bring in some new blood that really cares for the poor,, instead of these rich fat cats, born into money and political clout,, that could give 2 shits about the middle and lower classes.

• bavman
    bavman

A black president that won't salute the American flag, and has a father that is an extremist Muslim.

Good choice.

Hubert

According to "The Audacity of Hope" by Obama this is far from the truth. Obama's father was raised a Muslim but by the time he met Obama's mom he was a confirmed atheist.

Obama's mother's second husband was also a skeptic who didn't see religion as very useful.

Obama's mom was against organized religion but taught Obama about all religions keeping scriptures from all the major religions available to him. Also, taking him to a variety of different worship sites. She was a lover of science. So is Obama. He believes in evolution. He is a christian however he is a very liberal christian. His faith has more to do with social change and personal salvation (that is, to make oneself more healthy spiritually). He is not even sure if there is life after death.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Correction, Else. You made the assumption that skin color was what was being referred to.

Keep in mind that I am in Texas. I have had this conversation with quite a few people here in the south. Nearly everyone asks the question: "Do you think America is ready for Obama?" and are always referring to race. I know this because I always ask for them to clarify or they specifically refer to him being black.

It is not a great leap for me to interpret the question as referring to race since everyone else who has ever asked me the question was referring to race.

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

Bav- What you just said makes me like the guy even more! Gregor- "Obama has a convenient skin color. If he was a Republican he would be trashed by most of you." And your point is? I think you are saying: I support Obama because of his politics, not his race. That's true.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

I watched obama on t.v. a number of times . and he talks and says nothing , just LIKE hillery clinton. blab,blab blab. and say nothing REAL, He can't get elected, and being black is a big part of it. Plus he has no real message. white america will not vote for him against a white man. i fact he can't even beat hillary and she will not be the next president either. just the name BARAK OBAMA is a turn off to main stream americans. see the light. this guy is going no where fast. this is just a set up to keep black america happy... john

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

Cip- Black Americans need a Black candidate to be happy? Many polls have shown that Black Americans are more in support of Clinton than Obama. (Of course I don't necessarily trust polls). http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/17/poll.blacks.democrats/index.html

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

What's all this talk about Barack being 'black' or 'African-American' ? Do the bigots consider a 1/2 white person black...because he's somehow contaminated ?

Wikipedia sez:

In the memoir, Obama describes his experiences growing up in his mother's American middle class family. His knowledge about his African father, who returned once for a brief visit in 1971, came mainly through family stories and photographs. [12] Of his early childhood, Obama writes: "That my father looked nothing like the people around me—that he was black as pitch, my mother white as milk—barely registered in my mind." [18] The book describes his struggles as a young adult to reconcile social perceptions of his multiracial heritage. [19] He wrote that he used alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine during his teenage years to "push questions of who I was out of my mind". [20]

So, he's only 1/2 black and his white mother raised him. Hmmmmm...that ought to warm the hearts of a few racist types. Ya' think ? He can appeal to a lot more people that way.

Rabbit (tongue-in-cheek) Sorta of...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit