I sure hope Obama is our next President

by Elsewhere 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

Republicans will use scare and shyster tactics if the Democratic nominee for president is a woman or a black. Have little doubt, they will fearmonger and play to the lowest common denominator.

They did this in a close race for the US Senate in Tennessee last year. The Republican National Committee ran a disgustingly racist ad against Harold Ford, Jr. (an African-American), and it appears to have tipped the contest in favor of the Republican Bob Corker, who now represents the state of Tennessee in Congress.

Here is the relevant portion from this Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Tennessee,_2006

[edit] Television advertisement controversy

"Harold, call me," says a blonde woman in RNC's controversial attack ad against Ford.

A particularly negative ad titled "Call Me" endorsed by the Republican National Committee ("RNC") that aired during the third and fourth weeks of October gained national attention and condemnation from both Ford and Corker. The ad portrayed a scantily clad white woman (Johanna Goldsmith) acting as a Playboy bunny who "met Harold at the Playboy party" and invites Ford to "call me".[21][22]

Responding to questions about the ad, a Ford spokesperson said that Ford went to a 2005 Playboy-sponsored Super Bowl party that was attended by more than 3,000 people,[23] and Ford himself said that he likes "football and girls" and makes no apology for either.[24]

The NAACP described the ad as "a powerful innuendo that plays to pre-existing prejudices about African-American men and white women" and a former Republican Senator called it "a very serious appeal to a racist sentiment."[25] Corker condemned the RNC ad, calling it "tacky" and stating that his campaign has asked to have it pulled.[26] The RNC, however, continued to endorse the ad, said it had no plans to stop airing it, and dismissed charges of racism, saying it "wouldn't even entertain the premise" that the ad was racist.[27][28] In an October 24 interview with Tim Russert, RNC chairman Ken Mehlman said that he thought the ad was "fair" and that he did not have the authority to pull it.[29]

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I think America is ready for a black President.

If his skin color is the first qualification you think of then it is obvious you have not put a lot of serious thought into his being the best choice for the office.

The only reason I said that was because someone asked if I thought America was ready for a black President. I said "yes". Read the posts before jumping the gun.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

WHAT ABOUT RON PAUL??? No, I am not claiming that he would be perfect. But, if he gets the chance, he is going to gut the IRS, causing our criminal harassment cases for income tax collection to stop. He would also go after the FDA, allowing freedom for people to select what kind of medical care they want and have honest information to go by. He would put a stop to the big oil companies stopping us from moving on beyond oil. In effect, he would put the constitution ahead of his agenda and return us to the democracy/republic that we were when it was first put in place.

If Ron Paul gets eliminated, than Obama would be my next choice. Whether he would allow illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses is less important than having our core freedoms taken away. Clinton and most of the others would be pretty much business as usual, as your tax dollars get wasted on regulators and your freedoms get eroded.

If Huckabee ever gets in, we might as well move to Canada. That would be about the equivalent of having the Watchtower Society running our country. Not only would taxes go up and regulations get ridiculous (even worse than Bush), but he would start imposing his religion on the whole country. There goes the First Amendment freedom of religion. Pretty soon, he would start banning holidays and most forms of entertainment. We would all go back into the Dark Ages, and he would set it up so we would never have true freedom again.

Or, maybe we could go to Russia where there is more freedom than what would be left.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I would certainly like to see the IRS dissolved and a flat tax instituted.

This will encourage saving and investment and eliminate a massive government bureaucracy that snoops into the lives of every citizen. I doubt it will ever happen, though. The government uses the IRS to gather a lot of information about people for the purpose of non-tax related criminal investigations and prosecutions. Eliminating the IRS and instituting a flat tax would require no less than a constitutional amendment and I just don't see that happening.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    he would start imposing his religion on the whole country. There goes the First Amendment freedom of religion. Pretty soon, he would start banning holidays and most forms of entertainment. We would all go back into the Dark Ages, and he would set it up so we would never have true freedom again.

I'm not a fan of Huckabee, but I find the above language to be sensationalistic and scaremongering. How do you know Huckabee wants to or would be able to accomplish any of the above?

On a Sunday morning news show last week, he spoke of his version of Christianity as one that doesn't convert all non-believers and allows for atheists, and that he likely even had some atheists in his staff while governor of Arkansas and that he was okay with it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I think America is ready for a black President.

If his skin color is the first qualification you think of then it is obvious you have not put a lot of serious thought into his being the best choice for the office.

When someone comments like "I think America is ready" or "not ready" they are not
    saying that the thing America is ready for is a qualification. They are honestly assessing
    the voting public. America, as a whole, is full of backwoods folks who are afraid of blacks or
    homosexuals or Mexicans or middle-eastern folks. We have so many dumb white folks who
    think that they are still smarter than the average non-white.

I truly don't think that the vast majority of the voters will give the vote to a black man, but he
    might get into the running. If we are talking about what America is ready for, they might be
    ready for a woman president. They are definitely not ready for a Mormon president.

• LennyinBluemont
    LennyinBluemont

One of the most pressing needs in this country (besides removing military bases from other countries and ending policies that force other countries to do things "our" way) is for universal health care. It is shameful that people die every day in this country - not for lack of treatment being available - but for lack of insurance coverage. And for those who have some aversion to universal health care, let's not forget that it's already in place - for everyone in the armed forces and all members of congress. Yes, all those folks get free healthcare, just like any citizen of Canada, France or England. (I know it's not really "free", someone's paying for it. Oh yeah, we are.) In those countries no one is refused healthcare because they can't afford it or don't have insurance. But in this country, even people with insurance are denied treatments necessary to save their lives. There is only one beneficiary here: The healthcare industry.

Mr. Obama (as well as most other candidates) has accepted huge sums of money from the healthcare industry to finance his campaign. So the question you have to ask yourself is: Is Mr. Obama more likely to act for or against the financial interests of the healthcare industry if elected?

John Edwards, on the other hand, has refused to accept contributions from the healthcare industry and speaks with a strong voice against their practices. He is not beholden to them as Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton are. Yeah, I know. He's a sleazy lawyer. But let me tell you something. I've been in business for over 30 years. Sometimes you need a sleazy lawyer to get the job done. Ever wonder why so many politicians are lawyers?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Edwards is my favorite candidate.

John Edwards, on the other hand, has refused to accept contributions from the healthcare industry and speaks with a strong voice against their practices. He is not beholden to them as Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton are. Yeah, I know. He's a sleazy lawyer. But let me tell you something. I've been in business for over 30 years. Sometimes you need a sleazy lawyer to get the job done. Ever wonder why so many politicians are lawyers?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The difference between the right and the left:

Huckabee's supporters thank God for giving them Huckabee.

Obama's supporters thank Obama for giving them God.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

There are certain things about Ron Paul I like, however, think I'm going for Edwards.

Obama is not terrible, but not my first choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit