Who on this Board would love to get rid of Organized Religion?

by restrangled 122 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Do you really think 'getting rid' of the organized religious institutions will make this earth better?

Folks is folks. While it is easy enough to see how such things do divide people, it is no better than any of the many other things on this earth that contribute as well (i.e. politics, ethnicity, social class, ect).

The real question is whether or not people would use other things to justify radical behavior. It's a lot more complex than just saying 'to hell with it all' IMO

• Gopher
    Gopher

Organized religion won't go away any time soon.

But those more radical in their agendas should be curbed. Here is a link for a group whose membership is over 12,000 here in the U.S., who is working to help ensure separation of church and state: http://www.ffrf.org/purposes/

Just a word of explanation about the group's name "Freedom From Religion Foundation" -- it's not about trying to bring about a non-believing society, but rather trying to work to curb religion's intrusion into a government that is supposed to be secular by nature (if the constitution is actually read and understood correctly).

• Borgia
    Borgia

Although on the surface it may seem that everybody is free to belief whatever he or she wants, we do all understand that this is not so. What we really belief will eventually become the cause of our action. When I drive in a car at night, the headlights on, I try to see as far as possible into the dark. The road may have a bent or a corner. And, given my speed, I would do good to respond as soon as possible to a change in the roads direction......Now, I may hold a believe that the road ahead turns to the left going directly downhill. This notion will help me to stay focussed and ready to respond. However, instead, the road goes to the right and uphill! So, in this case, as far as I am not bent on suicide, I would do good to adapt my discourse to the (to me) newly encountered situation. Turn right and go uphill. As a result, I may be confused about my whereabouts. But it does not alter the situation, does it? With -ism generally, we have been burdened with static beliefs in the face of new evidence about the state of the world. The problem is basically at least two fold: not being able to change a set of beliefs because of 1)incapability to come to terms with uncertainty (confusion about whereabouts) 2)no desire to adapt based on other accepted believes systems either by authority (garmin / Tomtom told me so!)or ignorance (stupidity). I would be inclined to support the eradication of organised religion, depending on the means and way to achieve that goal. As the famous quote goes: the step between ecstatic vision and sinful frenzy... is all too brief.... Cheers Borgia P.S. The formatting is quite unsatisfactory, I noticed, but I am trying to find out how it works. Sorry!

• Zico
    Zico

AO:

Good posts. :) I agree that one doesn't need religion to connect to God, but I do think it can be used as a tool to help people connect to God. I think the problem comes when that religion is the very basis of that connection imo, as when the connection is made, it should be something personal and seperate from an organisation, any relationship built around a 'middle man' is doomed to failure.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    AO:

Good posts. :) I agree that one doesn't need religion to connect to God, but I do think it can be used as a tool to help people connect to God. I think the problem comes when that religion is the very basis of that connection imo, as when the connection is made, it should be something personal and seperate from an organisation, any relationship built around a 'middle man' is doomed to failure.

Definately.

Maybe I am a bit hard on organised religions... they do indeed help some people. Without being judgemental, I would say that some people's faith is with them everywhere they go but for some, they need something to create a sense of "other worldliness" to help them connect to the Divine. So, some people need nothing but thoughts whereas some may need/prefer, incense, music, beautiful scenery, whatever... My thoughts are "whatever it takes, so may it be". But, as you say, the line of "an aid to worship" or "an aid to connection" often gets crossed either unintentionally by religion and sometimes intentionally by less scrupulous organisations. I see organised religion as the "estate agents" of God. (Real estate agents in other countries ? Realtor ???) Sometimes they help, sometimes they rip you off... but they always take their cut.
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

ME, ME, ME

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Stilla,

ME, ME, ME

Isn't that an ancient Franciscan chant? HS

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Thats too easy of an answer, getting rid of organized religion would be getting rid of organized ignorance which in turn would be better for humanity in the long run

I'm a humanist at heart

• dinah
    dinah

This is a great thread. Reading everyone's thoughts helps put things in perspective.

I would propose not getting rid of religion, but rather something that would make individuals accountable for injustices done in the name of God. Make religion quit hiding and answer for all the evil it does. That would probably do more to bring folks to Christ. When people see all the atrocities committed in God's name it reflects badly on Him.

Something along the lines of stopping their tax exempt status, and stopping the ones (like the WT) who harm people. Religion shouldn't have the power to make someone end their life (like refusing a blood transfusion) just because the religious power says so.

As far as the evangelicals who elected Bush, that is why I ceased listening to them. They seem to think it's better to kill thousands and thousands of civilians (as long as its not on US soil) than to let a woman get an abortion or let gay people have legal rights as partners. They have NO REALITY when it comes to sanctity of life---only sanctity of their way of life, which imho, relishes looking down on everyone else to makes themselves feel better.

I got kicked off a yahoo group for calling GW a bastard. Maybe he is their god? Is so, God help them. They were so active in getting him elected. All they could talk about was God didn't make Adam and Steve and all the baby killers. There are many more issues facing humanity right now that are much more important.

Religion gives to much power to the men who need it least. Give me a small group anyday.

ok, rant over. Whew!

• restrangled
    restrangled

I love what Eclipse said:

The Key word is ''Organized'' religion.

I don't think anyone wants to take away the right to worship.

No, we do not want to take away people's right to worship whatever god they chose.

BA says it is a personal worship inside their hearts, and no one mentioned stopping that.

Some of us just want to see an end to ORGANIZED religion so that those huge money making corporations will stop fleecing

the believers blind, and starting needless wars against opposing religious factions.

I am not opposed to worshippers, just the big religions that they are supporting with their hard earned cash..

Organized religions eventually get too big and powerful and start influencing politicians and the law. It breeds intolerance and superiority complexes against races, nationalities, women etc.

Look at the summit today in Rhode Island between the leaders of the Israelis and Palastinians. The entire problem is based on Religious beliefs and has gone on for 1000's of years. The entire region is comprised of brothers but they can't get along because of their religions and the powerful political influence they hold over their people.

Thanks for all the great comments!

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit