Who on this Board would love to get rid of Organized Religion?

by restrangled 122 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Restrangled & Others,

What, exactly, do you mean by 'organised religion'? For example, Buddhism is often classed as a religion and it is "organised" by monks - but it is classed as a philosophy, too. Now, as far as I know, Buddhism (Sri Lanka aside - which seems to have its own version) hasn't caused any trouble in the world, so would you ask for its banning, too?

I ask this in all sincerity as we have to be careful we don't lump all religion together.

Ian

• Trygon
    Trygon

You want to remove Organised Religion because of conflict it has caused, right? But you’re forgetting that if religion is gone mankind will just come up with a new excuse for war and brutality. Like an atheism V agnostic war or general bickering over who is right about what and what is the correct thing to do in the world. The will to fight is in the blood of every human. Everyone on Earth is guilty of having at least one violent thought about another person that bugs them in some way. Removing religion will be a minor upset. It is human instinct to fight with each other. Ignorant is the name given to people who think taking away something will quick fix everything. And religion will always exist. It represents us trying to explain how things came to be and about the wider universe. To take away this belief is to strip someone of imagination and mind. I mean deep down in every human there is always going to be that part that doubts what seems logical. That’s the best I can do when trying to sum up everybody as a whole, but as a Christian some of my views may be considered biased. But I tried my best to sum everyone up as best as I could.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Brother Apostate:

True Christianity is organized by God Himself, that is the only "organized religion" that will survive forever.

BA- All other "organized religions" be damned.

And there we have one of the biggest problems with organised religion. Everybody thinks theirs is the one true one and that everybody else deserves eternal torture. Religion foments hatred against outsiders based on nothing more than silly primitive superstitions.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Everybody thinks theirs is the one true one and that everybody else deserves eternal torture.

I don't!

Ian

• Trygon
    Trygon

I am with Dansk. funkyderek is what we call:

• eclipse
    eclipse

The Key word is ''Organized'' religion.

I don't think anyone wants to take away the right to worship.

No, we do not want to take away people's right to worship whatever god they chose.

BA says it is a personal worship inside their hearts, and no one mentioned stopping that.

Some of us just want to see an end to ORGANIZED religion so that those huge money making corporations will stop fleecing

the believers blind, and starting needless wars against opposing religious factions.

I am not opposed to worshippers, just the big religions that they are supporting with their hard earned cash..

Next, Oil companies have got to go

• blondie
    blondie

A Question of Conscience by Charles Davis (priest who left Catholic Church) was recommended to me by Ray Franz. It describes this mans feeling that Christianity disappears as groups get larger. That true Christianity consisted of small community groups.

That is why Ray Franz has not started a religion or joined a religion and only meets with a small group (sometimes less than 8 people) to study the Bible alone with the help of some Bible commentaries. No one is in charge as a conductor, each person has a turn reading and making a comment. I learned more in one study about the Bible than I had in my career as a jw. I actually learned how to study the Bible. Now I know not everyone on JWD believes in the Bible, but I found this eye opening as I thought about the problems in the Borg and even at the local level.

Blondie

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Dansk:

I don't!

I knew if I didn't qualify the word "everybody" that would happen.

Not everybody thinks their religion is uniquely true and everyone else is going to hell, but those who do are usually the biggest problem. The wishy-washy ecumenical types aren't likely to destroy the world. It's those who actually believe what most religions teach who concern me.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Not everybody thinks their religion is uniquely true and everyone else is going to hell, but those who do are usually the biggest problem. The wishy-washy ecumenical types aren't likely to destroy the world. It's those who actually believe what most religions teach who concern me.

You crack me up FunkyDerek, if a religious person is fundamentalist, he is "evil and dangerous". However if he is moderate and ecumenical he is "wishy-washy". And that to truly believe makes you, to use a phrase you would probably approve of, "a religious extremist".

Since you yourself do not believe, what makes you such a good judge of those who actually believe?

Psst! Your bias is showing.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

As long as people believe, there will be organized belief. It is human nature. People organize with others of like mind-in this way they have a shared experience and can work together on shared concerns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit