Who on this Board would love to get rid of Organized Religion?

by restrangled 122 Replies latest jw friends

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I don't think religion should be outlawed. I can see that completely backfiring - people want what they can't have. I'd hate to be forced to go to church, so I don't think anyone should be forced to not go to church. It has to be a natural 'growing up' so that in the end religion has the same influence as something like a UFO enthusiast club.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I don't think religion should be outlawed. I can see that completely backfiring - people want what they can't have. I'd hate to be forced to go to church, so I don't think anyone should be forced to not go to church. It has to be a natural 'growing up' so that in the end religion has the same influence as something like a UFO enthusiast club.

Most religions are based on fairy tales. They were useful when humanity was "younger". Now we can move on. But there's no point to burning "Mother Goose" books or banning the recounting of fairy tales. The danger comes when the stories are taught as if they were the ultimate reality.

• PEC
    PEC
    Jesus founded the largest religion in the world?

How many Christians are in China? The largest religion hardly!! Why do many believers, feel they have to lie, to make their beliefs look more important?

Stalin and Lenin are not heroes in my book.

Stalin and Lenin atrocities are pale in comparison to those perpetuated by Organized Religion.

Philip

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Exactly nvrgnbk, I hope in the future humanity looks at the current religions the same way we look at the Egyptian ones now. As interesting museum pieces and historical buildings and an insight into how humans viewed the cosmos. Just not actually believed.

• Maddie
    Maddie

Religious organizations are not important for having a faith and/or personal relationship with God. It is good to be with people who have the same belief and to encourage one another but that is all IMO.

Maddie

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    The danger comes when the stories are taught as if they were the ultimate reality.

Of course the paradox here is the fact that the very nature of most every sort of movement (political, religious, social, economic, ect.) demands that it must raise itself above the rest as an absolute reality in order for its own survival. To do any less puts the movement in jeopardy.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    The danger comes when the stories are taught as if they were the ultimate reality.
    Of course the paradox here is the fact that the very nature of most every sort of movement (political, religious, social, economic, ect.) demands that it must raise itself above the rest as an absolute reality in order for its own survival. To do any less puts the movement in jeopardy.

In other words, for there to be a movement, the people involved in it have to to be convinced of the benefits of that movement?

Agreed.

Is is better to have everyone patting one another on the back, telling each other we're all right?

Conviction isn't what hurts us.

Convictions that wish to enforce ancient barbaric codes on modern secular society can and do stifle human ascent.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    How many Christians are in China? The largest religion hardly!! Why do many believers, feel they have to lie, to make their beliefs look more important?

No need to lie, its a fact:

Well, I have to go for the day. Cheers!

Burn.

• PEC
    PEC

The fact is 2/3 are Non-Christians, if Christians are divided into individual sects then the largest Christians religion would be less than 10%. It is not fair to brake up the Non-Christian religions and not brake up the Christian religions. The numbers must have been complied by a Christian, (bigoted a theist comment.)

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

Philip

• Zico
    Zico

Actually PEC, even if you divide the religions into sects, Catholicism would still come out on top, and with more than 10%! The graph doesn't split other major religions into sects either, Muslims have sunni and shi'a for example.

Of course, having the most believers doesn't make it true, but it's still a fact that Christianity is the largest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit