Opinion peice on Athiests

by SickofLies 203 Replies latest jw friends

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Here's a good one for your favourite theists antagonist,

Can you name one good act that person of faith or religion has or could perform that an atheists could not.

Can you name one bad act that a religious person could perform, that a person who did not share their faith could not.

The first one is impossible, yet the second is easy. Blood transfusions anyone?

The people on this site that defend Christianity are making sure that groups like the JW's are able to survive because they defend making statements based on faith and attack those who criticize religion. I encourage all you latent former JW's still hanging on to some remnant of religion to contemplate this and take the bold step to realize that it was not just a few incidental doctrines that the JW's were wrong about, but the whole concept of god itself.

Contact me through a personal message and I will tell you how you can make a difference by helping to create an environment where groups like the one we escaped from cannot form again.

Together we can make a difference, together we can make the world a better place.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Well, since you have no takers, Hillary, I will give it a try. I used to be a believer you know.

Allah, Vishnu, Thor, etc are gods (note the little "g") but they are false gods whereas Jehovah is the one true Almighty God who can trounce and spank them all! Sheesh. Read your Bible why don't ya before you try to post intelligently on these threads!

Cog

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Can you name one good act that person of faith or religion has or could perform that an atheists could not.

What about waking people up early in the morning and giving them free literature? You never hear of atheists doing that for anyone!

Cog

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

What about waking people up early in the morning and giving them free literature? You never hear of atheists doing that for anyone!

Oh no's!

My logic, it has been defeated!

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Easy. Put faith in God and ask in faith that His will be done, or any other request made through faith in prayer.

Can you name one bad act that a religious person could perform, that a person who did not share their faith could not.

No. The blood transfusion example you proposed does not make sense, as there are many both religious and non-religious who might refuse it on the grounds that they might contract a disease such as hepatitus, HIV, dengue fever, malaria, etc, etc, etc.

The people on this site that defend Christianity are making sure that groups like the JW's are able to survive because they defend making statements based on faith and attack those who criticize religion.

Faith is necessary for salvation. In our fallen human state, in all things, we must accept the good with the bad. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater is not the solution.

BA

PS- The "is X a god" question I've already answered on another thread. My reply to that is anything that is worshipped is a god. Therefore, all things that can be and are worshipped, Vishnu, money, "choice", etc, are "gods". However, there is only one Almighty God. Nope, BA can't prove it, so don't ask. Almighty God will prove it Himself when He chooses to.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

PS- The "is X a god" question I've already answered on another thread. My reply to that is anything that is worshipped is a god. Therefore, all things that can be and are worshipped, Vishnu, money, "choice", etc, are "gods". However, there is only one Almighty God. Nope, BA can't prove it, so don't ask. Almighty God will prove it Himself when He chooses to.

I rest my case, Hillary. And you probably thought I was being sarcastic!

Cog

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Cog,

lol....Well, you both have me quite defeated. That having been said, I would distance yourself quite rapidly from the BA form of "logic". You might catch something that you might be ashamed of.

BA,

Shaking head......

I am not asking that you prove anything. I am asking that you face the challenge as to WHY you can say that one God exists and another does not. Can you not see the flaw in your logic? It is as wide as a chasm. Money is matter. It can be seen and measured scientifically and as such is a flawed comparison in these circumstances. Let us stick to the matter at hand, the existence of ancient sky "gods".

Vishnu is an unseen God, as is the Bible God and his son. They cannot be measured and they are promoted by the same minds and the same faith. Under a religious fervor, the brain patterns of the Christian under the Christian rapture, is exactly the same as that of any other person undergoing any other religious experience. This has been scientifically measured.

How do you differentiate some unseen "Gods" from others? On what basis do you say that one exists and the other does not.

Can you not see that you are declaring an athiestic stand on every other unseen God but your own? Your arguments are straight from the Watchtower, BA. They are illogical and in fact filled with the very the things that you charge against atheists,

HS

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Cog,

Is it beyond your mental ability to realize that there are some things we can not yet explain?

Or that with time, errors are revealed?

Or that knowledge is not, at present, perfect?

Then why are you so cocksure you've got it right?

BA- Looking forward to the day when arrogant, cocky, self-sure posers are proven wrong. Oh. I almost forgot, that's everyday.

PS- History, anyone?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

BA,

BA- Looking forward to the day when arrogant, cocky, self-sure posers are proven wrong.

You just have been, but are too intellectually blinkered to realize it.

HS

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Hillary,

As stated many years ago:

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

William Shakespeare, "Hamlet", Act 1 scene 5

English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

How do you differentiate some unseen "Gods" from others?

Faith. Decades of it. I have seen its results personally.

On what basis do you say that one exists and the other does not.

I have never taken the position that other "gods" don't exist. I believe they do. As I stated, one definition of "god" is something worshipped.

BA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit