Opinion peice on Athiests

by SickofLies 203 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

you seem to be assuming some things here, so let me set the record straight...

I have, infact discussed some of my findings with those closest to me...recently with my mom She smiled sweetly and said "yes, I do know who Elijah is." and she was the one who comforted me when I was ages 3-9 and fit to be tied. I guess I used to be terrorized by "little men" that she couldn't see. She is also the one that took it with a grain of salt when, at the age of 21/2, I started to declaire that she wasn't my real mom because I remembered my real mom was an angel and she was blonde. (I was seldom exposed to any religion while growing up except for the few times that we went to church)

I talked with my boyfriend and his friend together once and the friend didn't ridicule me but chose to say nothing...he always asks what is happening on "the" forum. My boyfriend always has always looked at me with distain when he sees me reading my Bible or anything vaguely religious...he cant stand the fact that I come on to the forum and since I told him my findings, he reacts with outright hostility if I even mention God.

One other friend of my boyfriend, who wasn't told anything, seems to be my greatest ally...he is kind hearted and without fail, encourages my forum participation and study!

love michelle

p.s. I haven't been ranting and raving like a lunatic on this side of the screen, even when some texts that I write out would seem to indicate the opposite I'm soooo normal.

...btw...deconverting or deprogramming. From where I stand, that would be going from the light into the dark, from life to death, I'm sure even you can understand why that just doesn't seem appealing. xoxo

• steve2
    steve2

Someone is close minded when there is nothing that can be said or presented that will get them to change their minds.

I've certainly found this to be the case with Christians, although I'd be the first to say that it is not a unique feature of Christianity and says more about my circle of acquaintances.

When I question the source of the Bible, for example, Christians will often say, "What would you accept as proof that God inspired it?"

My reply: The same proof that you yourself would demand when other books are touted as inspired of God - no more, no less. Funny how Christians can look sideways as me when I question the source of the Bible, but pat me on the back with affirmation when I question the source of the Book of Mormon or the Koran!

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Michelle,

at the age of 21/2, I started to declaire that she wasn't my real mom because I remembered my real mom was an angel

Is that the age of 2 and a half or 21/22? Is this something you believe now?

What findings are you talking about? If there's a place you spoke about them, just link me.

he cant stand the fact that I come on to the forum

This isn't a Christian forum, there are many beliefs here. Many share his distaste of God.

deconverting or deprogramming. From where I stand, that would be going from the light into the dark, from life to death, I'm sure even you can understand why that just doesn't seem appealing

I think you find God belief comforting. So yes, if it comforts you, you may not want to admit you could be wrong and look at things from the other side. It doesn't make your beliefs true, it just makes them appealing to hold on to. It all depends how honest you want to be with yourself. Life without a belief in God doesn't have to be scary, it often depends on your perspective of it.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

My reply: The same proof that you yourself would demand when other books are touted as inspired of God - no more, no less. Funny how Christians can look sideways as me when I question the source of the Bible, but pat me on the back with affirmation when I question the source of the Book of Mormon or the Koran!

Exactly, Christains are hyprocrates when it comes to examining their own beliefs. I'm amazed that so many people were able to reconize that JW's were a lie yet can't comprehend how the whole movement called christianity could be a lie. Why is that so hard to picture for some people? The religion isn't even that old, it is just that sometime around 60 A.D. people finally got it right in regards to religion where all others have gotten it wrong?

Someone explain this thinking to me, because to this day I cannot understand.

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

It is impossible for a stupid man to translate the wisdom of a wise man because he retells it in a way he can understand.

Meaning we are reduced to the lowest common denoiminator when it comes to ancient documents or ancient legends.

As far as thiests are concerned I feel it is hubris talking , athiests meh they are a little tougher to lump together into a group dynamic.

I will say though as a complete outsider in regards to the whole conflict of pro-belief or non-belief, I have to add that it is a completely personal issue that must be discovered by the individual

When this is directed by an outside group and demanded of the individual , that is morally unacceptable , JW is unacceptable for healthy people, as are almost all widely held religions , they are symptomatic of a larger cultic mentality of society in general.

Spirituality is an aspect of a human being , religion is a power play .

So whatever particular school of thought you prescribe to is completely irrelivant in the larger scheme of things , we are the way we are and that is the frame work we should operate within , not one imposed by others.

How to be happy seems torank pretty high up on peoples lists , and attempting to dissuade them from whatever they hold dear rather than working within what they love is wrong and unproductive as far as opening them up to a larger reality is concerned.

Love is a universally accepted medium of communication perhaps this rather than any opinion is what we should really be pushing?

Just a thought or two,,

http://members.shaw.ca/yofrizb

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith
    How to be happy seems torank pretty high up on peoples lists , and attempting to dissuade them from whatever they hold dear rather than working within what they love is wrong and unproductive as far as opening them up to a larger reality is concerned.

There are plenty of Muslims who would be happy to kill you. Would you not try to get them to see reality?

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

I am not around any suicidal and delusional humans nor do I wish to experince any .

Just because I believe something doesn't mean I believe it can be applicable to all.

Why waste what is working on what is broken?

A negative energy will consume a positive energy , only when positive is added to positive can anything productive be accomplished.

Think back to basic science 101 in school . Why would laws of energy differ in a hypothetical spiritual sense from the apparent way they operate in the physical ? Why would fundamental laws change because the arena was in a different realm?

How could we learn from this existence the nature of the next if the basic laws were different?

I think that would be an equally arrogant suposition as the one that dictates most religions

I base my observations on what is observable only ,

You can't save the world , but you can make a difference.

If some one is a nut , what do YOU do?

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Unless there is proof of another existence, I need to work from the assumption that this life could be all there is.

If people want to be religious, that is their choice. But when they don't keep it to themselves, and their beliefs affect people in a negative way, some will choose to respond. Looking back through history, there are plenty of things we have changed. We don't kill 'witches' and we don't keep slaves now, so this shows that we can make a difference when we say something. Should humans have remained silent on those issues?

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

No and I don't think we should allow people to blow themselves up either.

I'm not the one for the job of stopping them ,I'm doing all that is within my power to make the world a better place in the only way I'm capable of.

Reality is what it is, without experience of something ,yes , understanding is not going to happen , I agree completely.

It seems alot of people don't agree to that and run with bad ideas all the way to the end.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Think back to basic science 101 in school . Why would laws of energy differ in a hypothetical spiritual sense from the apparent way they operate in the physical ? Why would fundamental laws change because the arena was in a different realm?

To answer this question one must first define what a spritual relm is in a way that is testable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a person can't be spritual and non-religious, many famous atheists, including Sam Harris, feel there is nothing wrong with this. It may be true that through mediation and other similar excersies it is possible to experence things differently and see things in a new light. However, there is no reason to assume that these feelings come from any other source than ourselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit