• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    bearded atheists are dead sexy

Sorry, Kwin.

That, my friend, is no opinion.

That's a fact.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I really love this post. Thank you so much for posting that article. I've always said that I am eager to believe in God and am impatiently awaiting his response to my fervent and regular prayers. So far, I have not had so much as one prayer answered and God has not taken me up on the idea of him revealing himself to me. All I'm asking is for the same level of proof that I ask of anything else I believe in: that chair, my apartment, my shoes, air, love, hate... Silence... I'm here, waiting and willing God. Where are you?

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

My opinion piece on atheists is this ... bearded atheists are dead sexy. End of piece.

Don't forget about tattoo's.

Also, atheist pizza is the best.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Also, atheist pizza is the best.

OH MY SCIENCE!!! How could I have forgotten about atheist pizza already! That poor waitress. When she left our table I have no doubt she prayed for us non-stop.

Kwin

• justhuman
    justhuman

mmm

• justhuman
    justhuman

mmm

• steve2
    steve2

I work with a colleague who is a self-described "true believer in Christ". She's a lovely woman and we have a nice, friendly "working' relationship. When she found out that I'm an agnostic several months she declared with her lovely big smile, "I'm praying to the Lord that you'll see how wonderful his love is".

The months passed and I was none the wiser, yet I presumed she must have been praying on my behalf. I recently reminded her of her promise to pray for me, telling her "nothing's changed" and added - perhaps with some irony - "You clearly need to pray harder to get the result you want." She said - without irony I suspect but smile intact - that she would.

This is the level of our discourse on faith: She prays for me, the "Lord" chooses to interveneor not, and if "He" does, I believe. A magical, mysterious provess that belies logic and reason. In the meantime, I'm still waiting...

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

The God Delusion, is that written by that Dawkins guy? I'm terrible with names, but if it is, I find him very off putting. It might not be Kool-Aid, but it tastes like Crystal light. I do not trust him, he is too extreme and absolute.

I agree with most of what you guys say about organized religion, the track record is lethal and terrible. But the track record of purely atheist societies isn't that great either: Lenin & Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot(I don't know what his belief or non-belief system was). The point I'm trying to get to--yes, badly--is that belief doesn't matter, people will still do very nasty sh__ty things to others and say they did for god or for the common good. Humanism I think starts out fine, but when you add people to the mix, then you've got to be carefull. Science, is not all encompassing. At any given moment, only a percentage of our world-universe is understood. Science changes by adding new understanding, understanding that a few decades before may have been opposite what science then was curently teaching.

edited: Sick of lies, I didn't mean for that comment to be so bad, I should have found a betterway to say that, I truly meant no offense.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

I agree with most of what you guys say about organized religion, the track record is lethal and terrible. But the track record of purely atheist societies isn't that great either: Lenin & Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot(I don't know what his belief or non-belief system was). The point I'm trying to get to--yes, badly--is that belief doesn't matter, people will still do very nasty sh__ty things to others and say they did for god or for the common good. Humanism I think starts out fine, but when you add people to the mix, then you've got to be carefull. Science, is not all encompassing. At any given moment, only a percentage of our world-universe is understood. Science changes by adding new understanding, understanding that a few decades before may have been opposite what science then was curently teaching.

This is a common response, trying to link atheism with communism, the two things are not related. It is true that Stalin and Mao were atheists, they did not commit their crimes against humanity because they were atheists. Humanism supports a secular democracy and demands freedom of speech and religion, in stark contrast to the communist regimes you listed. There is nothing in atheist 'doctrine' or 'beliefs' that would lead someone to commit sucide attacks, genocide or mass murder. Yet it is very easy for a religious person to commit these acts, all they have to do is believe what their 'holy books' are telling them.

You are absolutely right, science does not have all the answers, no one ever claimed it did. However, it is certainly worlds ahead of religion in its attempts to create solutions to mankind’s problems.

You are also right about another statement you made, science changes by adding new understanding and listening to reason, this is something religion cannot do and why I believe it will eventually fade out of existence. Just like Thor, Zeus and all the other ancient gods have been forgotten, Jesus, Mohammed and the million Hindu gods will be forgotten to, it's matter of time.

• steve2
    steve2
    The God Delusion, is that written by that Dawkins guy? I'm terrible with names, but if it is, I find him very off putting. It might not be Kool-Aid, but it tastes like Crystal light. I do not trust him, he is too extreme and absolute.

An interesting view. In my opinion, Dawkins is one of the most clear-cut writers on the topic. He's hard-hitting in places and yes, some might find that off-putting. Keep in mind that, over the years, creationists have often misquoted him and accused him of writing stuff he never wrote, so I guess he's developed a bit of a negative view of Creationists' ability to simply read and understand what he actually has written.

If you put aside his style, and focus instead on the content, The God Delusion is a powerful piece of writing. I haven't found anything in his content that is untrustworthy. Can you point out a specific example?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit