Opinion peice on Athiests

by SickofLies 203 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear sickoflies...

I haven't read through this tread yet but I just wanted to comment on this statement...the author said this? "Many theists, by their own admission, structure their beliefs so that no evidence could possibly disprove them. In short, they are closed-minded, and have been taught to be closed-minded" Well, I just wonder if the author is aware of the things that "Bible believers" have "historically" be called to "believe"? the Bible stories are pretty "fantastic", way out there, even...miracles are miracles, and anythingispossible with God...Where do people get close- minded from that?

anyway...back to reading the thread.

love michelle

• SickofLies
    SickofLies
    anything is possible with God...Where do people get close- minded from that?

Picture somewhat related.

Stoned.jpg picture by LucifersPet_pics

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear sickoflies...

reply somewhat related...

Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace, above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6:14-17.

...and, I maintain, that in these past 40 years my shoes haven't worn out...

love michelle

• myelaine
    myelaine

O...and I have picked up some beautiful ornaments along the way...Song of Solomon 1:11...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_%28archangel%29 ....

• myelaine
    myelaine

Who is she who looks forth as the morning, Fair as the moon, Clear as the sun, Awesome as an army with banners? Song of Solomon 6:10

love michelle

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

If I was to quote from the Book of the Dead, would you believe in Osiris?

Religious people are closed minded, because even after every 'reason' they have for believing in God is refuted, they very often use the faith card. It makes me wonder why they try to argue the points in the first place.

Someone is close minded when there is nothing that can be said or presented that will get them to change their minds.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear serotonin-wraith...

...are you proselytizing?

love michelle

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Religious people are closed minded, because even after every 'reason' they have for believing in God is refuted, they very often use the faith card. It makes me wonder why they try to argue the points in the first place.

Of course I agree with you, but I suggest the following:

I find in my personal experience that religious people tend to be close minded, they make statements which rely on faith and reject any reasonable reply. I don't understand the point they are trying to get across. Why not try and provide some evidence and reasons for why you believe what you do?

Just a suggestion. I find people on the internet tend to say things that they would never say to another person in real life, I would encourage people to ask themselves "would I say this to the person if they were right in front of me?"

This is not directed at any one individual, but a general comment.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I'd like people to accept reality and stop believing things they cannot possibly know. Deconverting would be more accurate.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

dear serotonin-wraith...

...are you proselytizing?

love michelle

Reality is a good place to be.

One can live there successfully without faith.

proselytizing

Deprogramming is another word for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit