October~Breast Cancer Awareness Month~~ I challenge the posters here!

by purplesofa 138 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Pink Ribbon Cure

By: Patty Fitzpatrick ,
    a volunteer at the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund

Pink ribbons reached our inner circle
    one gloomy day in two thousand five.
    Pink ribbons now a part of our lives
    only time will tell if our dear friend survives.

Remember the days when they were
    just another ribbon without much meaning.
    Not that we didn’t care much
    we were immune and we were gleaming.

We knew the connotation of the
    pretty pink ribbon and it left us shaken.
    It meant our bodies could be changed
    it meant our lives could be forsaken.

So instead we chose to ignore it
    maybe it would go away.
    It was someone else’s quandary
    and for it we refused to sway.

Swayed not until it reached our inner circle
    then we swayed like a lions roar.
    To do away with every pink ribbon
    we must somehow find a cure.

I volunteer my time now
    time once thought was spent so wisely.
    Only too sad to find out,
    it’s only now I have begun to spend it wisely.

I found a group who raises funds
    to help find the pink ribbon cure.
    This fund is named after a special sweet lady
    God blessed her with famous sons for sure.

It is absolutely amazing
    to see the funds their names can raise.
    I say this after witnessing a celebrity auction
    and for this I give them so much praise.

For when the pink ribbons are finally all gone,
    these sons will know for sure.
    They did all they could to help find
    the famous Pink Ribbon Cure.

Content copyright © 2005 by Patty Fitzpatrick

source: http://www.findacure.org/In%20Memory%20Of/memory.htm

• NewTruth
    NewTruth

Hi friends... I just wanted to say, that I believe it was the MAMMOGRAM as well as the needle BIOPSIES, along with a lot of XRAYS, that gave me my breast cancer.. The xray tech, put my breast in a vice..and squeezed it like a pancake.. I will NEVER get a mammogram again..

Also, the money that people are giving to the Breast cancer charities go to making more Chemo.. and radiation and drugs... which I also don't believe in... The Chemo, weakens you to the point, that your body can't fight anymore...

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

New Truth

I am sorry to hear about your breast cancer.

I am learning alot from this thread and I appreciate the links people have posted.

Scully, I did get to see the pic you posted and yes she is beautiful. I love the support women give to each other when breast cancer is involved. It will and does help us to stay educated, informed and aware. I can't think of another group of women that are so bonded. We all can relate.

purps

• MidwichCuckoo
  • Burger Time
    Burger Time

Again most of the funds perpetuating pink ribbons do more to help cause breast cancer then actually cure it. Are we this bad of a society we have to parade around a symbol to prove we care? Let's actually FIGHT cancer not just buy a ribbon.

• NewTruth
    NewTruth
    Again most of the funds perpetuating pink ribbons do more to help cause breast cancer then actually cure it.

Exactly my point!!!!

• erynw
    erynw

I am a 4 time cancer survivor! Breast, same breast 2 years later, metastasized to colon 1 1/2 yrs later, metastasized to bone and lymph last year. Early detection is key. I'm walking, talking proof!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I actually am not selling ribbons. I posted this thread for cancer awareness, as this is cancer awareness month.

There are always some risks when taking tests, to farther medical advancement.

The screening sheets for MRI and the caution taken to injections needed in some MRI tests are all precautionary. MRI tests are exposure to a magnet. When getting a CT on young children, it is always questioned as to whether the test is necessary from exposure to radiation.

I have not seen any real scientific evidence that Mammography screening is the cause of breast cancer. I do know that this is used for early detection and that the "breast cancer" research is always in the works to find a cure.

There seems to be concern from posters here that a pink ribbon means to get a mammography, I never thought of it that way. I thought it was about awareness, as red ribbon is aids awareness and purple pancreatic awareness, like the one some of us post here in honor of fullofdoubtnow.

Because of the ribbon, it has caused me to question what it is for and communication and education can begin.

I find this a much more effective tool than trying to go door to door to talk about this subject.

I never expected this thread to take this turn, and it has caused me to look at alot of information and sites that I otherwise would not have looked at.

purps

• erynw
    erynw

Purps,

What you are doing is noble. Please don't let what others say discourage you. You are raising awareness, which is the key. If this thread causes some to do a little more research in the methods used for testing, diagnosing, and treating cancer, then the message was received. We should all be well armed with as much knowledge as possible about this horrible disease. Knowledge takes away some of the fear and sheds a little light on the unknown.

Tell you what, I will MATCH whatever purps calculates for the pink ribbon posting donations. I believe the fight is this important.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

(((Purps))) I'm a little saddened at what's happened to this wonderful thread. Although some valuable links and comments have been posted, this was not the thread to do it on.

I'm also going to match whatever purps calculates - but in equal sterling, so at the current rate (), I'll be matching purps and erynw's combined total. I'll be donating it to the Jayne Garforth Support Centre situated in our local Macmillan unit.

http://www.nursinghomes.cht.nhs.uk/fileadmin/Nursing/Docs/contacts/janegarforth.pdf

Peeps - come on, lets support this thread in the original spirit with which it was started PLEASE!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit