October~Breast Cancer Awareness Month~~ I challenge the posters here!

by purplesofa 138 Replies latest watchtower medical

• zeroday
    zeroday

By the time a cancer is big enough to be seen on a mammogram, it is usually eight years old, has 500 million cells, and is approximate 1/4 inch long. (7) It has been large enough to metastasize for a year or more. Some breast cancers never metastasize no matter how large they get.

It's better to let it get to the size of a grapefruit that way you know it's really there and know where to cut it out...

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

As a courier, hauling films around for 3.5 years...........mostly mammograms, to numerous, most clinics in my area, I have seen many breast cancer patients.

EARLY DETECTION~is there another way other than a mammogram?

I hope every thing that goes on in our lives is not a conspiracy.

I have hunted down mammos for comparison, rushed them across the city for a radiologist to read.

The KOMAN foundation is just not about mammograms........it offers support, help, education, research.

AWARENESS

I have not lost anyone close to me to breast cancer, but I know had they not had early detection, they possibly could have died.

purps

• zeroday
    zeroday

I have not lost anyone close to me to breast cancer, but I know had they not had early detection, they possibly could have died.

purps

Actually I'm sure my sisters and their doctors merely overreacted and it was really nothing to be concerned with. I mean 100 years ago they would never have lived long enough to develop breast cancer and it never would have come up...I mean this pesky modern medicine what has it done for us but prolong our lives just to have other diseases crop up to deal with whats the point...

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

nice thread leslie....

SnakesIntheTower ()

ps...and thank you tula for taking down your posts...please post your thoughts on a new thread. your feelings and thoughts are valued... on another thread ..thanks again.
  • SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

bttt especially for you UK posters who ought to be waking up in a an hour or two

dont let the thread die.... its only Oct 1

Snakes ()

• tula
    tula

ps...and thank you tula for taking down your posts...please post your thoughts on a new thread. your feelings and thoughts are valued... on another thread ..thanks again.

I do not appreciate this condescending statement, snakes. I did NOT post my thoughts or feelings. What I posted was documented, annotated FACTS from very credible sources that related to the subject matter on this thread.

I posted thinking it was an educational contribution. However, because some people found it controversial, I removed the information. It was never my intention to "hijack" your thread purps.

Any time people repeat something as gospel without asking questions or doing research, they will be falling into the same mind-set trap as they did with the wts. If you don't learn from your mistakes, you're bound to repeat them.

Suggested reading... The Cancer Industry by Ralph W. Moss, Ph. D.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    What I posted was documented, annotated FACTS from very credible sources that related to the subject matter on this thread.

What you posted was nothing but BULL **** I can find any fool with a website to backup any thing I want to believe that's all you did...

• Gretchen956
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

http://www.breastcancer.org/about_us/press_room/press_kit/cancer_facts.jsp

Statistics
    • Every three minutes a woman in the United States is diagnosed with breast cancer. In 2006, an estimated 212,920 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed, along with 61,980 new cases of non-invasive breast cancer. And 40,970 women are expected to die in 2006 from this disease.i
    • Breast cancer is the leading cancer among white and African American women. African American women are more likely to die from this disease.ii
    • Breast cancer incidence in women has increased from one in 20 in 1960 to one in eight today.iii

Return to top

Causes
    • The exact cause of breast cancer is not known. Factors that can increase a woman's risk include heredity, early puberty, late childbearing, obesity, and lifestyle factors such as heavy alcohol consumption and smoking. The biggest risk factor for breast cancer is age -- just growing older. Most breast cancers occur in women over the age of 50, and women over 60 are at the highest risk.
    • A woman's risk for developing breast cancer increases if her mother, sister, daughter, or two or more other close relatives, such as cousins, have a history of breast cancer, especially at a young age. However, 85% of women who develop breast cancer have NO known family history of the disease.
    • Changes in certain genes (BRCA1, BRCA2, and others) make women more susceptible to breast cancer. Genetic testing can determine whether a woman has these abnormal genes.

Return to top

Symptoms

The widespread use of screening mammography has increased the number of breast cancers found before they cause any symptoms. But some are still not found early.

The most common sign of breast cancer is a new lump or mass. A lump that is painless, hard, and has uneven edges is more likely to be cancer. But sometimes cancers can be tender, soft, and rounded. So it's important to have anything unusual checked by your doctor.

Other signs of breast cancer include the following:

• A swelling of part of the breast
    • Skin irritation or dimpling
    • Nipple pain or the nipple turning inward
    • Redness or scaliness of the nipple or breast skin
    • A nipple discharge (other than breast milk)
    • A lump in the underarm area
    Definition
    Stage 0Cancer cells remain inside the breast duct, without invasion into normal adjacent breast tissue
    Stage ICancer is 2 centimeters or less and is confined to the breast (lymph nodes are clear)
    Stage IIThe tumor is over 2 centimeters but no larger than 5 centimeters

Or

There is spread to the lymph nodes under the arm
    Stage III (includes substages IIIA & IIIB)Also called locally advanced cancer. The tumor is more than 5 centimeters across

Or

The cancer is extensive in the underarm lymph nodes

Or

It has spread to other lymph nodes or tissues near the breast
    Stage IVThe cancer has spread—or metastasized—to other parts of the body.

Return to top

Surgery Options
    TreatmentDescription
    LumpectomyThe malignant tumor and a rim of normal tissue are removed
    QuadrantectomyThe malignant tumor and a larger rim of normal tissue are removed
    Total or Simple MastectomyThe whole breast is removed
    Modified Radical MastectomyThe whole breast is removed, along with underarm lymph nodes
    Radical MastectomyThe whole breast, chest muscles, all of the lymph nodes under the arm, and some additional fat and skin are removed
    Axillary DissectionUnderarm lymph nodes are removed to determine if cancer has spread
    Sentinel Lymph Node DissectionOnly a few underarm lymph nodes are removed. These are the nodes that filter fluid from the affected area of the breast. These nodes are identified using a radioactive substance or blue dye injected near the tumor site within the breast

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

( . )( . ) LOL! Very cute, Purps! Since both my mother and her mother had breast cancer I have been getting regular mammos since age 30.........so far, so good......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit