100 Good Samaritans needed

by Trilobite 132 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Jukief,

You don't know anything at all about what Alan has done, but I can tell you that not only does he devote almost every minute of his spare time to this work (and his family suffers for it), but he also helped MANY people financially. And I have the checkbook to prove it. Just because people don't run around blowing their own horns doesn't mean they aren't doing things in private.

I am sincerely sorry that emotions have run riot here today Jukief and I am sorry if Alan has been hurt by thoughtless comments.

Unfortunately what started as a simple act of kindness, helping friends through a hard patch has become a sullied and morose argument over the rights and wrongs of who deserves help and who does not.

Last year by arranging benefit concerts for ecological groups I was able to galvanise my contacts in the music world and help raise $350,000 for these groups who live on a shoe-string. It felt worthy, it felt clean and honorable, I worked hard with no pay for three months. Even if we raise $350,000 for the needy on this Board I would feel that I have failed.

Both yourself and Alan have I know, for many years given in time and money for a cause that would have been easier to walk away from than attach yourselves too and I would like to thank you, as I personally know how deep your commitments run.

My very best to you both -- HS

• Tina
    Tina

ack Forgive me ((((((jukie))))))))))))) lTNS,Tina

(in best police voice)
    You have the right to remain stupid. Anthing you write can and will be ignored.

• Prisca
    Prisca

In defence of waiting (and I guess me too), she didn't ask that Kent, JanH, tina, AlanF or the other former H20ers provide us with financial statements outlining the amount and frequency of their donations.

All that waiting questioned was the silence which could have been interpreted as non-support. It seemed strange that Kent or tina didn't add their vocal support to this noble cause.

They are pretty vocal with hurling insults, yet they were silent when it came to supporting their friends.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Prisca,

There are a number of people who've silently stepped forward to help, and some of these folks cannot really afford to do so. It was the Pharisees who trumpeted their helping the poor in public, and you know what Jesus thought of them.

You have also stepped forward and did so privately. I understand you are not so well-off and I did not want to be one who would put you in a position that might make it very difficult for you. I will not accept money if I have enough to get by at the moment and I will definitely not accept any money from those who really cannot afford to offer it.

It saddens me that some have turned this into an "issue" not related to the real issue.

It is a fact that I've been posting a long time and it is a fact that I've made many friends along the way. I cannot help that. It's also a fact that these are very difficult times for me. It's also a fact that Maximus has been helping people for at least forty years inside and outside the Watchtower Walls. And it's also a fact that these are very difficult times for him and his wife. Lastly, it is a fact that people have stepped forward and offered to help.

But the most important facts are not whether people who are now needy have worked hard to help others in the past, but that they are now needy and that people have offered to help. Including you. Why some would want to impute anything else with regards to motives is beyond my comprehension.

If I had this many true friends as a JW, I'd be a Branch Overseer by now.

Farkel

• waiting
    waiting

.As has been brought out, I was commenting on the silence, or lack of posters names showing forth in a thread which had been up for several days. The majority of persons responding on 4 pages were relatively new people, as was the thread's author.

As has been brought out, I apologized. Only acceptable questions are allowed - however, that wasn't put forth in the thread ahead of time.

As has been brought out, this is a side issue - and shouldn't eclipse the real issue, which is why I didn't respond anymore.

As has been shown, other people won't let it die.

I truly believe that when a relative stranger (at least to me), Trilobite, is trying to raise $12,000 (his goal of $20 per 100 posters x 6 months) and I'm one of the 100, I have a right to ask a question. I asked. All we have is words printed here. I read what words and names were here. I could have assumed all kinds of things - but I asked. However, it is being assumed that I had a hidden agenda to denigrate a whole class of persons who I have never denigrated before. Tina & I disagree on most things. I have never (to memory) condemned "H20 posters", Kent, JanH, AlanF, Farkel, Maximus, or any others. It is being assumed I deliberately set out to deter that thread from the needs of Farkel and Mr/Mrs Maximus, even though I had encouraged others to contribute or pledge, as I had already done.

It is being assumed that my apology is not fit......even for the spouses of those unknown people working behind the inknown scenes. It is also being assumed that I should have somehow assumed all was well in webdom and that I should have "shutthefuckup" even though we don't even know real names here. And it was put forth by one of those unknowns behind the scenes that all posters that don't know what's going on should "shutthefuckup".......but still contribute (I'm assuming that part.)

I, like thousands of registered posters here, aren't privy to information about the unknown lives of any posters. I, in no way, was asking about the private lives of Farkel or Mr/Mrs Maximus.

I asked about the absence, or silence, of known posters who are long time associates/friends of Farkel and Maximus. Trilobite answered sufficiently, which was - lots of things are going on behind the scene. I thanked him - end of question/answer.

I honestly have never been in the position of being asked to give money to people through another person who I don't know - and not been able to ask a question. Any person who runs a business and has a private phone is asked - on the average of 5 or more times a week - to contribute to a fine cause. In business seminars I've gone to which included information about contributing - they told me to ask questions - know who you're contributing to. "It just makes good money sense." So I asked.

- and then get slammed and called gross obscenities for asking a question

- and then I apologize to the unknown person to me for causing division in this thread

- and others don't like my apology, and follow me to other threads to tell me so - and slam me again for "assuming" my hidden agenda of hate and insults

- and I answer them back - adding that I've already apologized for the faux pas of asking a question and added (as Farkel has said) that shouldn't we keep to the idea of the thread - helping others?

- and then I click on and a spouse I don't even know doesn't like my apology. Somehow I didn't seem sincere enough to suit her.

Well, ok...............................

We can ask who do we send our money to?
    We can ask in what form do we send our funds?
    We can ask when do you want our money?
    We can ask where do you want our money?

Please put up a list of questions which are deemed acceptable for those trying to contribute money. It would also be terribly nice of those working behind the scenes which we don't know about to also put up a list of questions all persons should just "shutthefuckup" about when sending in their money.

I'll try to comply to the high standards which have always been put forth on this forum by those unknown persons working behind the scenes who I have no right to know about in the first place - but am to assume they know all and have all the answers and I have no right to ask. Of course, I am to assume all this because there is no evidence of this because nothing is in evidence through printed words, which is all most of the thousands of registered posters have to go by (which is why I asked my ill-fated question), and I'm not allowed to ask about this.

I've already apologized, if that's not sufficient - it's not really my problem at this point. And it's not the issue of this, or the half dozen, other threads.

Helping some friends is the issue.

waiting

PS: I also apologize for the length of this post. Since I'm also pledging my husband's money, I asked him to review the thread, my posts, and the posts responding to me. To be honest, he said it all sounded like a bunch of bullshit, but he likes Mr/Mrs Maximus a lot, doesn't know Farkel, and said he go with my decision.

My decision stands - it would be nice to help other persons, and my spouse agrees.

• bboyneko 2
    bboyneko 2

Waiting, as I have stated before the tendency on this board is that if you are not agreeing with the popular front, you get your head bitten off, chewed up and spit out.

I have also stated that the organization in this charity campaign is apalling. As you said, where do we send it? TO whome? When? How? I beleive the parties who came up with this idea should have organized it very clearly BEFORE posting the idea that we need to contribute a total of $2,000 a month (more than I earn after taxes) and laying out a guilt trip if we buy a cup of satrbucks coffee when we could be giving money to farkel and maximus.

As former JW, we are used to a bandwagon mentality of either you are with us or against us, and just as when we were JW's sincere questions that question 'those taking the lead' are viewed as prideful and somehow evil and any offender is immidietely attacked and shunned.

I'm all for giving moneys to maximus and farkel to aid them. But there needs to be much clearer organization and more information in general. Like you said, it's very odd to give money to a stranger so he can give the money to the maximus and farkel and there are no questions allowed. If the third party were a registered charity, then it would be different.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Farkel,

check your email

If I had this many true friends as a JW, I'd be a Branch Overseer by now.

I love that. Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humour.

bboy, You're very perceptive. You're not too bad for a young kid.

• mommy
    mommy

Waiting,
    If I may? I can almost see your point of asking for someone that you are familiar with. But that was not how you worded it. You said:

but where's the support from Kent, JanH, AlanF, Tina, and Jerome, Hawkaw, etc., The ones who generally post in sequence? And their pledges?

IMO, asking where their pledges are is way overboard. Thus the reaction to your post. Also you mentioned a "glaring curiousity" on your part. How did you think the people mentioned would react, knowing you were not only naming them but glaring at them? As far as a posters wife responding to you...well you did name her husband and requested to know what he was doing behind the scene. She told you, but then you complain that she adressed you...I am still trying to figure that out.

You were way out of line here. Way out of line. And if you think because you gave some money you can say whatever the hell you want, you are wrong. You either do it from the kindness of your heart or you don't. Yes, I am sure they can use your money, but that gives you no right to have said the things you said. I must say, I still see no apology from you, not a sincere one.

Wendy(who has no money to give, so maybe I don't have a say in this discussion)

Blind faith can justify anything.~Richard Dawkins

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Part of the reason I got so pissed off at waiting's remarks was that a CAREFUL READING of the thread would have shown her that at least two of the people she named were ALREADY MENTIONED as having been active behind the scenes in enabling some assistance for at least one of the gents in question.

She wasn't interested in actual facts though she was just tying to make some waves while pissing in the pool. I can understand that. I hate it, but I understand it.

It's a group mentality thing right? Let's all kick those who are down, and if we can, by all means, let's kick each other around, hierarchically, and use this as an opportunity to establish a pecking order, with blood drawn if possible. Let's humiliate those in need and call their integrity into question because for whatever reason they chose to stop using a public message forum. And while we're at it, let's also take a second to take sniping jabs at those who are high-profile activists in ex-JW circles.

After all it's not enough to mind our own business and respond to a request for assistance privately, discreetly, quietly. We gotta encourage by example, give our real names, addies, circumstances, and oh yeah permission slips from two witnesses attesting to our validity as humans before we can give OR RECEIVE any charitable kindness.

And if the whole bandwagon doesn't agree on methods and motives the whole smegging deal is OFF...

but let's just let it drop now eh waiting? After all we've all had our jollies muddying a good deed into a bad taste, our work here is finished.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Here's the where:

Doug Checketts
    4822 Santa Monica Ave., #102
    San Diego, CA. 92107

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit