Why, exactly, are you here?

by animal 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

Because apostates read what I have to say about the Watchtower Society which may get their critical thinking abilities jump started which may in turn help them out of the Watchtoer/JW cult.

• BFD
    BFD

Thanks for your answers animal. What a great thread. Especially this post...

I come for the stimulating textual intercourse with the religious taste about it...

with the vague hope for an orgasmic eppiphany or to give one

You should post more often, sweetie!

BFD

• animal
    animal

BFD... I didnt write what you quoted.... but thanks. And all of the repliers made it a great thread.....

Animal

• bem
    bem

WOW! Animal what a great thread! and your reveal about your own thought's is much appreciated

Icome for the stimulating textual intercourse with the religious taste about it...

with the vague hope for an orgasmic eppiphany or to give one

And all the times I been here to JWD I ain't never had this happen ^ well we can always hope

• animal
    animal
    stimulating textual intercourse

That is an exciting statement, eh? I may steal it for a sig file.

And you are welcome, I like writing at times and have little to hide.

Animal

ps.... thanks to all who wrote privately to me, I am glad you enjoyed.

• journey-on
    journey-on

These people laugh at the same things I do and cry at the same things I do...simple as that. They "get it."

• animal
    animal

Bem said:

and your reveal about your own thought's is much appreciated

It would be very unfair of me to expect you all to spill your guts with my questions if I werent willing to answer them myself. It only seems fair. I will answer any question, for the most part..... if you have any, shoot it this way.

Animal

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I came across this site nearly 4 years ago, almost 20 years after I left JWs.

I guess I felt like revisiting long past, almost forgotten memories which were meaningless to nearly anyone I knew. I enjoyed the interaction with a surprisingly wide diversity of posters. I enjoyed being able to discuss issues which are almost never brought up in "real life". I found we quickly get to "know" each other, not as in "real life," but otherwise. You could spend years meeting people every day and not "know" them as you would by interacting on a couple of threads (of course, the reverse is true too, what you get to know in "real life" is definitely not what you get online). I found that very interesting. I learnt a lot, it helped me a lot, I hope it helped others sometimes.

I have developed, fwiw, a sort of "communication window" theory of my own interaction with groups (including JWs). It certainly doesn't apply to everybody. Some people can "root into" a community and thrive there, gaining in depth and stature like a tree. This is very valuable. But many of us have been "uprooted" by different events in life (of which leaving JWs is but one example) and are unlikely to "root" anywhere and experience a vertical growth of any kind again. Nolens volens they have become wanderers, nomads, bound to horizontal movement, crossing place after place where others were born and will happily die. To those my "communication window" may apply -- diversely of course.

When I approach a new group, I am attracted by a desire to belong and perhaps the delusion of settling. I eagerly learn the "local" language and codes -- by imitation, as ever. In this phase of assimilation I hardly can "communicate" anything original. Once I am familiar enough with the group I find myself able to express myself (often to my own surprise) within the group language, interact, give and receive, understand and be understood. I have entered the "communication window". Some time later, though, I find myself increasingly unsatisfied with the group language. It seems repetitive. I find it harder to communicate. I feel less and less understood. I am getting past the communication window. Time to move on. The curse of Cain perhaps.

JWD is to some a place to root in and thrive. To others, a welcoming, refreshing and helpful place along their ongoing way. It's all right.

• bem
    bem

Since you asked Animal. What's your take on this?

I do wonder why some people are hurt, confused, angry, and judgmental or (whatever) when a person makes the personal decision to quit visiting a board. Here at JWD it’s not as noticeable as you can tell. Be off this board a while and you come back as a newbie, cause there are so many new names some are old people with new names I realize but anyway. I’m talking about small boards where you leave and it’s almost offensive to people & they take it personally. One thing about JWD we can float in and out, and posters are happy to see us or not. But we're welcome back and usually in a nice way when we drop in.

I have had to prioritize , which means I have a one track mind and I have had to concentrate on school and stop the boards because of time mainly, some other things bothered me but not enough to make an issue over them. And besides we do have to decide when to draw the line so to speak. Not an overwhelmingly brilliant question but I have seen this happen so many times I can't help but wonder.

Narkissos what an eloquent post.

Dorothy

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I do wonder why some people are hurt, confused, angry, and judgmental or (whatever) when a person makes the personal decision to quit visiting a board. Here at JWD it’s not as noticeable as you can tell. Be off this board a while and you come back as a newbie, cause there are so many new names some are old people with new names I realize but anyway. I’m talking about small boards where you leave and it’s almost offensive to people & they take it personally. One thing about JWD we can float in and out, and posters are happy to see us or not. But we're welcome back and usually in a nice way when we drop in.

That explains sooo much. I wondered what happened to you. I'ts good to see you BEM, miss talking to you. Oh...I wasn't mad or hurt by your disapearing act...But, I was just a little worried, but accepted there was nothing I could do. It's not like you can show up on a posters doorstep and say how come you're not posting or checking in.

With small boards, it seems like everyone has to pull their weight to keep them alive, and some get their feelings hurt when you don't feel like talking or posting or you're too busy, or depressed or whatever....

So if you are on a board with many people, like JWD, it's not as noticable when someone doesn't post for awhile. Or if you have a board that's strong enough to accept that you have another life and you'll be back when you're ready..or not, then it's more like making a phone call once in awhile.

((((big hugs to you))))

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit