Public talk will be reduced to 30 minutes

by martinjw7 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• R.F.
    R.F.

I think OTWO is right.

They aren't going to reduce the time of A THING! They intend to talk all the personality out of the talks and get accross every word they want them too without all the extra stuff. I wouldn't surprised if they made all the talks manuscripted to accomplish this.

R.F.

• moshe
    moshe

I am sure this would help out all the elderly elders who are having trouble giving a longer talk. It's a bummer when dementia takes it's toll on the mind. Repetition and forgetfulness sets in and they also start rambling about the good old days back before 1975.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

The Ministry School and Service Meeting used to be longer too. Each was one hour plus they allowed 15 minutes for 3 songs and 2 prayers. Then they shortened the time of the meetings to something like 50 minutes each (can anybody confirm?) but they still allowed for song and prayer.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    They should put an intermission between the public talk and the WT study. That way no one would have an excuse to get up during the meeting and go to the bathroom.

They did back in the mid 1960's but people would bug out and not return

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    They should put an intermission between the public talk and the WT study. That way no one would have an excuse to get up during the meeting and go to the bathroom.
    They did back in the mid 1960's but people would bug out and not return

When I started attending in 1955, they had intermissions. I remember a congregation that still had an intermission in the early 80's, but that was unusual.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    The Ministry School and Service Meeting used to be longer too. Each was one hour plus they allowed 15 minutes for 3 songs and 2 prayers. Then they shortened the time of the meetings to something like 50 minutes each (can anybody confirm?) but they still allowed for song and prayer.

Most people here know, but for Bonnie_Clyde and anybody else:

Currently, the Public Talk is 45 minutes and the actual study portion of the WT meeting is 60 minutes.
    With 15 minutes for 3 songs (beginning, middle, end) and two prayers- that's 2 hours.

The TMS is 45 minutes, the Service Meeting is 45 minutes, add 15 minutes for three songs and two prayers
    and you have 1 hour, 45 minutes.

I think real progress would be to make the weeknight meeting into a shorter school, a shorter service meeting
    (or eliminate the service meeting except for announcements and a short local need) and put the shorter
    book study (30 to 45 minutes) into one meeting under 2 hours.

• eclipse
    eclipse

ok, am I messed in head for thinking that progress by the WTBTS is a bad thing?

If they start shortening meetings, then all the R&F will cry out for joy at this new loving arrangement by the governing body

• willyloman
    willyloman

Some old timers still refer to these as "hour talks" even though, if my memory serves, they talk was 55 minutes long - at least it was back in the 70s shen I became a dub and thereafter a MS and started giving talks. In the early 80s, I think it was, they reduced them to 45 minutes. With song and prayer this reduced the WT Study and Public Talk to a total of 2 hours.

So, they have shortened the talk at least once before!

Unless there's been a huge shift in corporate thinking since I "retired" three years ago, this will no doubt be accompanied by instructions to use the time to get out into the field and preach on Sundays - which for some time in many congos has been a tough sell (and will continue to be).

• JAVA
    JAVA

I'm sure the flock will use the extra time on Sunday to go door-to-door--just like the Governing Body does. :)

• horrible life
    horrible life

People, People, I can't believe that this thread is on it's 3rd page, and nobody has been shown the light, on the real reason for the change!!! It is to beat the Baptists to the restaurants.

As a penalty, they will make you wear a special name badge, to the restaurant, and hand out handbills to all of the pagans, as you leave.

Even the new preacher, at my husbands church, will make the comment, that the congregation looks hungry, so hurry, and beat those Baptists!! The choir hops up, the piano player gets her fingers on the keys, and they let er rip. An extra quick prayer, and they empty out. No mingling, You have never seen a church empty out so fast!

Those Methodists can run!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit