Public talk will be reduced to 30 minutes

by martinjw7 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

"Public talk will be reduced to 30 minutes"

That's fantastic news! The 60 min talks were way too long!

This makes me want to go back again...NOT!!!

TCK

• Jourles
    Jourles
    This will help them accomodate the reduction in kigdom halls. with this arrangement there is the ability to have 4 meetings a day on sunday

As was "foretold" years ago, once the WTS feels the cash crunch, they will have to start selling KH's to stay afloat(this isn't just a guess - it is going to happen eventually). It could be that this announcement is primarily for larger cities where there are several congregations colocated in a reachable geographic area. In other words, if a city(including suburbs) has 10 congregations and 5 KH's, the WTS can sell at least 2 KH's and force the congregations to merge or share the remaining KH's. Four congregations per hall is about the maximum. I used to attend a KH in El Cajon, CA where the first Sunday meeting started at 10:00am and the last meeting of the day started at 7:00pm(1 hour in between each). But it wouldn't surprise me to see or hear reports of KH's being sold more frequently. I would also assume that the WTS will try to keep it fairly quiet.

• Mary
    Mary

I'd be shocked if this was true, so we'll just have to wait and see. I've long thought that the Sunday talk should be 1/2 and hour and the Craptower study 1/2 an hour. Even when I was a believer, I absolutely hated sitting there for 2 hours-----it was just too long. The bookstudy was actually my favorite simply because it was only an hour. I despised the Thursday night meetings with a passion. Get there at 7:13pm and you didn't get home until 10:00pm.

If they do shorten the length of the Sunday talks, I'm sure they'll be some sort of announcement made about how you could "spend the extra free time" going out in Service after the meeting, or some such crap. After all, any high control knows that the worst thing you can do is give the R&F too much free time. They might actually start to think or even worse, get a non-Dub hobby.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I can't help laughing to myself at how many people think an hour is too long for a public talk, yet sat though it for years. What were we thinking?

At the same time...most of us would think nothing of sitting though a two hour movie. Or talking on the phone for two hours with a good friend.

lisa

• JH
    JH

OK, I didnt read the whole thread, but if the public talk is reduced from 45 min to 30 min, then the meeting on Sunday will be 1h45 instead of 2 hours, right?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

The only way I can see this working is if they add a 15 minute Field Service talk after the Watchtower. Discuss the latest magazine articles and monthly publication feature then close with song and prayer.

Then ask those going in field service to go to the front of the hall, or remain seated for placing into car groups.

This would embarrass or shame alot of extra people into going in service on Sunday when they would usually go home to enjoy some peace and quiet.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I'll have to really wait and see if this really materializes. The poster starting this thread hasn't much of a history here. Also, I'd like to see if he'll respond to this thread anytime soon.

Besides, I'm sure that there MUST be others here with insider information if this were true (i.e. elders, MS, insider friends at bethel branch locations...etc). If so, can you confirm this?

I noticed that other rumors that ended up being true always had quick and sufficient backup evidence that was presented by any poster on JWD. Until then, I'm not buying this.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

P.S. Could it be possible that this rumor was intended to be planted here and to see if any active JWs who comes to this site were to bring this topic up to members in their own congregation? If so, then the person mentioning this so-called "new arrangement" would be asked by the elders how he/she got this information?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    People cannot concentrate that long any more: old people are getting older and the MTV-generation has problems after 2min 30sec.

hmmm....doesn't school, college, university, or in fact any kind of learning situation have teaching sessions that last all day, sometimes all week, and month, and year for several years. and are not younger people also getting older.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Can confirm that this is true. Letter came in at the weekend apparently.

• kicky
    kicky

can anyone else confirm this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit