Public talk will be reduced to 30 minutes

by martinjw7 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind
    the talks are so scripted now, the brothers just zip right thru them anyway.

And those that don't, get in trouble.

Open Mind

(of the, stoppped trying to make talks interesting, class)

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

30 minute talk and 15 minute prayer? LOL

Ya know the Brothers have such active lives it's really hard to buy out the time for a 60, 45 minute talk, now it's down to 30 minutes! I for one would feel cheated I mean why bother to spend all that time getting ready to go to the Hall for a 30 minute infomercial. When I was in 7 years ago there was absolutely nothing new being said meetings were beyond boring. This just may be the death of Sunday worship at the KH! Yay!

• Tristram
    Tristram

A few years ago there was a rumour floating around that all Congregation Book Studies were to be held on Saturday Mornings. The spin, of course, was that this was a "loving provision" that would provide the brothers and sisters another free night during the week, and be able to combine the Book Study with Field Service. This obviously never came to pass. I'll believe the half-hour public talk when I see it. And I agree with others that the meeting will still be 2 hours long, probably with a 1 1/2 hour WT study. Don't get your hopes up for any "lightening of the load."

Of course, if the meetings actually were refreshing and spiritually stimulating, then I guess we wouldn't mind being there for 2+ hours.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    This would be, in reality, a way to tell them to stick to the outline and stop adding personal information to it. Just tell them the stuff we want them to hear.

Control. Control. Control.

Open Mind

Also, elders aren't as gung-ho as they used to be. Give them an outline, tell them to deliver it virtually as a
    manuscript, it's really an easy task. This way, less elders quit because of the demands upon them to give
    a talk every third weekend because of the shortage of elders.

This is really good all around (if true). Shorter talk, out of the hall sooner. They will say that frees up
    15 minutes for getting to the preaching, but weekends after the meeting, there's always a poor turn-out.

I see a big problem with brothers resisting the change in shortening "old" talks. They will drop the scriptures
    to keep their personal illustrations. LESS PROOF offered for the same junk- turns out to be good again (for us).

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

I would like to see the BOE letter of that first but.... it looks like all the attention will be on the kool-aid editions, How the mother org will spew forth the loaded language to further corrupt the JW minds. The watchtower magazine is all about worshipping the GB (idolatry)

• JAVA
    JAVA
    Are they STARTING to be a little reasonable? It's a step in the right direction.

I've never seen the Tower taking "a step in the right direction." I think it's a way of fooling new ones about the other required meetings. Drag a new one in, show them a lot of attention before a 30-minute program, and they leave thinking--that's not so bad after all. In time they start buying into the WT mindset about "we're the only ones," and the trap is set for the other one hour mind-dead meetings.

Giving 30 minutes now is a great return for the $ociety when they control your life a few months later. A step in the right direction, I think not.

• blondie
    blondie

The public talk used to be an hour in the early 70's and was reduced to 45 minutes. Sunday meetings ran 2 hours and 15 minutes.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

If this is true, which is certainly possible, it's really only an extra 15 minutes since the PT is already only 45 min long. Still, an hour 45m is better than 2 hours (they usually allow 5m for the song/prayer at the beginning, middle and end to get to the 2 hours).

As the others have said, I'm sure they will be forcing people to stick even closer to the outline or perhaps even making it a manuscript.

When I was a little kid, I remember the intermission. It was great because I could run around for a few minutes. I think it would be a good idea to allow the kids a chance to walk around a bit.

• White Dove
    White Dove

You know how they would accomplish a boretower study in 30 min? Stop reading the paragraphs. They already do this for CO visits: CO public talk, 30 min. boretower, CO "loving" good bye and admonitions to congregation.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oh god, I swear, if they lengthened the WT study for a shorter talk, there would be nothing to keep me from leaving past 12pm. I could hardly stand the WT for one hour. That was the worst most dragging meeting ever created by man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit