Public talk will be reduced to 30 minutes

by martinjw7 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover

Back when I still attented meetings, three congregations were sharing one kingdom hall. It was a pain in the ass to have one congregation scurry out while another one was trying to come in. And the parking lot was a nightmare between two meetings. Half coming, half going, none of em can drive...

So if they were to shorten the talk by 15 minutes thus shortening the meetings to 1 hour 45 minutes, it would leave a little more time in between meetings for clearing out one congregation before the next one came in.

• jah1914
    jah1914

I can confirm. The letter was read in our congregation this week. The public talk is 30 minutes. The watchtower stays the same. The explanation was that it would allow for more time to 'fellowship',participate in field service, and reduce contention among congregations that share a single hall. This reason falls apart for several reasons: 1. Fellowship - most people fellowship(if at all) after the meetings. Shorting the talk really doesn't do anything for that especially just 15 minutes. 2. Participate in field service - Again what does 15 minutes really do in that sense? Does it really save that much time? 3. Reduce contention among congregations sharing a hall - Everyone knows that the BOE have some freedom in establishing meeting times. If congestion was a problem the elders at the local level would simply adjust the time, like ours did by 30 minutes. I think the real reason is that they are trying to force the brothers to stick to the outline and not add material\illustrations. The 'good' brothers try to spice these boring talks up, but that naturally leads to interjection of personal interpretation and not Service Desk(where the talks are written) interpretation. In fact it was specifically mentioned that no 'new' outlines are currently being provided and that the brothers should reduce their talks by cutting out lengthy introductions and conclusions and to share the main scriptual points. Also, I think they are further trying to show that the Watchtower study is the main point of coming to the Sunday meeting. I've had brothers tell me before that the public talk was just 'filler' time and if you had to choose between the Watchtower or Public Talk the watchtower wins. We also had a letter on ordering the new watchtower(Public vs Study Editions). The cover won't change on the Study Edition other than the list of study articles will be on the front.(Much like the current large print watchtower edition), except I suspect they will have some pictures and illustrations. After the meeting I asked one of the elders if since the Watchtower - Study Edition was meant for "baptized witnesses and those making spiritual progress"(the letter words, not mine), would we after the meeting be asking for the general public to leave? Is that why the small change of viewing the two as a seperate meeting with the watchtower conductor being asked up on the stage before the song is happening? He didn't give me an answer, he just said, "Big changes, big changes." Although big changes with this organization is always relative. Here is my theory, nothing to back it up. I think that this will happen only in the U.S. and European countries where attendance is low and "apostasy" and leaks abound. I say that because the letter about the watchtower changes said that not all countries would have separate public and study editions. I see in the future where the Watchtower study will be broken into its own meeting on a separate day. The public meeting will consist just of the 30 minute talk, since that is the average person's attention span, and that will be it for Sundays, or maybe they will move the book study to Sunday. I do tend to ramble. Sorry if my post is confusing.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

What . . . too many people asleep after an hour of droning on . . . and on . . . ?

I think religion in general is losing its grip on people. JWs are no exception.

ESTEE

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

jah, you are all over the map. It has been speculated that they would ask the
    non-JW visitors to leave. I really doubt that. I can see them not having mags
    for visitors, making them feel not-so-special, but they would be welcome to
    stay and follow along w/o a magazine. "Keep coming back, and we'll see about
    getting you a study magazine."

The public is welcome at all the meetings, now. The Public Talk and WT meeting
    are their welcome wagon.

no 'new' outlines are currently being provided and that the brothers should reduce their talks by cutting out lengthy introductions and conclusions and to share the main scriptual points.

That won't last. The borg will hear from CO's that talks need to be reorganized.
    This is just a way to liven up the talks for awhile and the organization will slowly
    dumb it down again after getting feedback. As you said:
    I think the real reason is that they are trying to force the brothers to stick to the
    outline and not add material\illustrations. The 'good' brothers try to spice these
    boring talks up, but that naturally leads to interjection of personal interpretation
    and not Service Desk(where the talks are written) interpretation.

Also, I think they are further trying to show that the Watchtower study is the main point of coming to the Sunday meeting.

Good point. They'll let the dubs know that the Public Talk is just a nice reminder,
    but the meat of the spiritual meal is the WT study.

The cover won't change on the Study Edition other than the list of study articles will be on the front.(Much like the current large print watchtower edition), except I suspect they will have some pictures and illustrations.

The look of the new mag is about the only thing that catches my interest.
    I can imagine that before too long, this edition will get cheaper and illustrations
    will be done away with. Artwork will eventually be just for the public mag.
    I imagine there won't be anymore books with much to offer in the way of
    illustrations and artwork anymore. They will all be like "Come Be My Follower"
    with full-page recycled artwork on an occasional page and a few other
    smaller pictures on half a page of a small book. They will keep cheapening
    their products.

Has it been confirmed whether the OKM will be inside the new member mag?
    I am sure it will wind up there eventually.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    can confirm. The letter was read in our congregation this week. The public talk is 30 minutes. The watchtower stays the same. The explanation was that it would allow for more time to 'fellowship',participate in field service, and reduce contention among congregations that share a single hall

I can confirm every letter in this comment. It was read so in our cong also

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit