The Story of Minimus

by minimus 116 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

When I was a teen, I aspired to be an elder. From my pre-teens until I was 18, I was in every circuit assembly and district convention----having either Ministry School talks or parts or experiences. At 20, I conducted a bookstudy in the afternoon, also regular pioneered, was the Theocratic Ministry School Overseer in the 2nd school and regularly taught the main school. I was the auditor for the accounts. I was in charge of the attendants. That was all in the first week of being appointed. I was "groomed" to be an elder so that by the time I was 24, I had already sat on judicial committees while a MS. I had every position in the Hall except accounts and Service Overseer. By 27, I was the PO.

Here I was counseling youngsters, old married couples, elderly ones, weak ones and those with unbelievers in their households. I was telling parents how to reach their children when I just had a little child myself. I was counseling mates that had been married for decades as to how they should apply Bible principles with their own families, yet I had almost no experience in life!!! I was telling persons that were ill----emotionally, spiritually, physically and mentally---that they HAD to do more!

I sat on so many judicial committees that I am ashamed. As a body of elders, we were a very conservative group. If the Watchtower or Circuit Overseer told us to be cautious about believing the sincerity of a "sinner", we would rather disfellowship and keep "uncleanness" out of the congregation than take a chance of having "leaven" ferment the faithful. We were quite proud that our numbers for pioneers were the highest in the circuit. We didn't emphasize Bethel service as we wanted to keep those that we trained right in our own Hall so that we could get the help we needed as we were usually only 3 or 4 elders on the body.

We all thought we were quite "special". And let's face it---being in your early 20s and having all this authority goes to your head! .........As the years went by and I left my home congregation to go to another (under duress), I started to see how unkind I was. I realized that even though I genuinely believed that I was doing everything "by the book", I was not that good an elder after all. I felt hurt that others might view me as "harsh" as I truly believed that I was pleasing Jehovah God and ultimately, I'd be blessed.

After a few years being a MS and then an elder again in the new Hall, I was appointed as Secretary, a position I kept until I resigned as an elder, years later. During the time I was an elder there, I was considered the most approachable in the congregation. I was regularly asked to marry couples and give funeral talks for the bereaved. I was back giving talks at the assemblies and I was one of the most requested speakers in the circuit. But this time around, I was looking at things in a different way. I clandestinely read Ray Franz' books and started to realize how the Organization really worked. I realized that historically, it was always wrong! I saw that as a group, we were NOT encouraged to be loving......Eventually I knew I had to get out and fade.........And I did!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Glad you made it out brother!

• minimus
    minimus

me 2

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Thanks for sharing! I know a young guy whose life story is quite similar. Groomed all his life for WT service, made Elder in mid 20's, the works. I'd be interested to hear the details of how it all unfolded for you.

-drew

• free2think
    free2think

Thanks for sharing your story Minimus. Like you my dad is seen as one of the most approachable elders in the hall, if not the most. Hopefully he will see the light like you.

• eclipse
    eclipse

It must of felt like a tug of war trying to keep people in, and kicking people out at the same time....I can only imagine what that kind of stress must of felt like. and yes, that kind of power does go to young men's heads....seen that time and again.

• BFD
    BFD

Wow all that ambition wasted on the borg. Sounds like you could be elected President if you put your mind to it.

How long have you been out? Do you still have family in?

BFD

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I think I read this story before- the whole premise is that you don't really want to eat green eggs and ham right?

• minimus
    minimus

I believe the fade started in 2002 and that was the last time I was at the meetings. My mother and brother and aunt are in but my daughter and ex are out.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Congratulations for seeing the light!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit