The Story of Minimus

by minimus 116 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

RR, huh?

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

just kidding. I'm on some medication that is pretty much has me convinced that whatever I say or do is hysterical. Sometimes people agree, sometimes they dont.

Good story- its good to show that people who were "strong" witnesses leave too, not just fringe witnesses.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

THanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed it as I do all of your posts.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks for the experience, Min, I too was appointed at an early age - It came right out of the blue for me. I started in a large cong. so was never pushed to the fore of the elders at that age.

It is true that you find yourself delivering counsel on things that you know little about and are really unqualified to do so. Serving on committees scared me rigid at first. I really felt that I was weighing somebody's eternal future in the balance. I eventually reasoned that God would not have to listen to me, He could do what he willed with the person and we were just applying "Bible law" as best we could . then it seemed easier to cope with.

I did serve alongside some brilliant older elders who had the knack of following the rules but being flexible when called to do so - I also served along with some complete idiots and power-trip merchants...

When I left, you felt that it must have made a difference to the cong, but now, a few years later you realise that one is forgotten and nobody cares any more...cest la vie!

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: "I realized that historically, it was always wrong!"

Great line! I plan on stealing it.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Mini! Thanks for sharing this.

Like you, me and one other local elder's were considered the most approachable and friendly two elders in the eight of us that served on the body. When he died and I left, the friends were so down and kept asking me to return to the hall that they really needed me there. I never did and finally moved away after doing the fade for three years. The pain of not being able to explain things to them was heartbreaking.

I didn't mean to steal your thunder, just wanted to share the similarities that we had with the local friends. Keep the stories coming. Someday I'll do the same.

Blueblades

• done4good
    done4good
    I eventually reasoned that God would not have to listen to me, He could do what he willed with the person and we were just applying "Bible law" as best we could .

BB, I had a serious discussion with an elder friend of mine, and he used a similar line of reasoning when I questioned him on the subject. Frankly, I was very disappointed with him, as he was the one jw I knew that actually knew how to think rationally. The point that disfellowshipping somone would ruin their current life as far as a relationship with their family and friends was concerned went right over his head. I hope I at least made him think.

j

• minimus
    minimus

Blue, I've always felt a kinship toward you. You sound like a very level headed kind man. I'm glad you're here!

• minimus
    minimus

This is the reason why I have a hard time believing that elders can see the light by discussing some doctrine, chronology or stand on disfellowshipping. Even the smarter ones have their mental blinders on, usually.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Great experience, Min.

Are going to share this at the Apostate Circuit Assembly?

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit