Have You Ever Met A "Celebrity" or Actually See One Face To Face?

by minimus 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

I had front row seats at a Stones Concert a couple of years ago-I could have touched them-it was SO AMAZING! Keith Richards threw his guitar pick out into the crowd and the girl beside me caught it...I'll never go to another Stones concert again because it'll never be the same. My hubby works for Yamaha and was working a show in Toronto a couple of years ago and Kiefer Sutherland walked right past the booth and locked eyes with him...OH MAN, I would have been all over him like a dirty shirt.... LIG

• Navigator
    Navigator

I forgot to mention that I met John Wayne. In fact, he bought me a drink at the Officers Club at Hurlburt Field, Fla. He was there with his son filming the movie Green Berets. Nice fellow! Very friendly.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

I saw Davy Jones from the Monkees and got to shake the hand of Ken Curtis. He played Festus in the "Gunsmoke" series. Am I ageing myself or what?

• hambeak
    hambeak

When I was a small child my dad took us to a shoot of the misfits and we had a walk on with Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable I am the little kid crossing the street with my mom and dad and Marilyn bounced me on her lap and gave me a kiss I was six and still remember it. Mr. Gable was very stuck up as I recall We got a total of $50.00 for the part and never cashed the check.

• Handsome Dan
    Handsome Dan

My brother and myself used to hang out with Brain Adams before he got famous, a friend that used to be in are band is now actually Brains guitar technician for when he goes on the road

and also helps Brain in the studio

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I used to work for a retail chain where my job was to coordinate book and CD signings. During my time there, I met a lot of people. My favorites were President Jimmy Carter, the Dixie Chicks and Dolly Parton. The biggest pre-madonna I had to deal with was Nora Roberts.

CountryGuy

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Back in the 90's Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage would work out at World gym everyday, next door to Largo high school. And I would talk to them regularly. Hulk road a harley and so did I. And Hulk started out as a musician, and we would talk about music and recording. In the 90's I would see Hogan and Savage all over Pinellas County. Local restaurants, night clubs, He came in one time when I was singing Karaokee at the Japanesse steak house and waved to me.

Hulk Hogan was a wrestler, I never watched wrestling. I dont watch tv. I heard he was a bigshot wrestler for a while. When he would be in the gym there would be a lot of fans lined up at the window watching him and Savage work out. Hogan also had a few tv shows. He had a series filmed with the disney studios and then he had a Mtv show raising his kids. Savage used to do slim jim commerical down here in Florida, they called him the macho man. But when I would talk to him he was very shy and quiet. Also there was this wriestler called the undertaker, I would talk too. And these fellows, I think they were from Australia when they were in the gym they were normal and wed talk. But when I would see them in the grocery store or a restaurant they would walk real funny, they called themselves the bushwackers.

Also when I would see Hogan and Savage in the gym they were friends they would talk about dinner or going back to the house. But at the same time in the papper they were bitterly fighting.

One time I was taking my boat thru Clearwater pass and Hogan Pulled up on a Donzzi with about 4 females in Bikinis and as we were going through the pass the dophins where swiming along side our boats and jumping out of the water and twirling, It was surreal

The first time I met Savage I was on a delta airlines flying from Cleveland to Tampa, I had just been visiting my folks and I thought we were being highjacked all these big pirates and clowns stared coming down the ailes and the bigest clown sat across the aisle from me, then all these teenagers were coming up and getting his autograph. After a while I went back to the restroom and asked one of the kids who is that guy I'm sitting next too. He said he's the macho man, hes a wrestler and thats Elizabeth his manager. So when I sat back down I asked him to sign my muscle and fitness mag. He wouldnt eat the airplane food.

When I lived in Cleveland and was about 16, I would often go see this local band the James Gang play at the local teen clubs and talk to their guitar player Joe Walsh. I shared a urnal a few times with him even. My friend in one of my first bands bought a white Gibson SG guitar from Joe and used it in our band.

Also when I was in Cleveland and 16, I would go to the chesterland Hullaboo every weekend and see this band called the Choir then they changed their name to Target then they changed their name to the Raspberries and one of their singers and piano, guitar, bass players was Eric Carmen, I would stand 5 feet from him everyweekend watching him play spooky tooth, evil woman, the Moby Grape, Hey grand ma. Hey Bull dog by the beatles. He became rather well known.

One time when I lived in Cleveland, when Elton John first came out they played his music on the Rock stations. He came to Cleveland public hall along with Steppenwolf.. Me and my friend snuck backstage and sat 5 feet from him during his concert. Whoever was in charge of things thought we belonged there. And left us alone the whole show.

Then one time in Cleveland I went to see James Taylor at Blossom, my sisterin law was a big fan and after the show she took my wife and I. We waited a bit and he came out and talked to us and he held my 3 year old son.

I saw many concerts in Cleveland back in the 60's I saw Bob Seger play as a 3 piece band. He played key boards and had a bass player and drummer. He called himself the Bob Seger System. I saw Neil Diamond before he was famous doing his early hits. Cherry Cherry, Thank the lord for the nighttime.

Probably the most famous person I ever saw was Jim Morrison in concert at Public hall probalby 68 in his leather pants.

Then two years ago, I went to a Blue Oyster Cult concert at the State Theater in St Pete. After the show my wife and I got everyones autograph and I talked to Alen Lanier for about 5 minutes. He was married to Patty Smith, who has JW's somewhere in her past. But we didnt talk about that. He told me Buck Dharma aka Donald Rossier moved from New York, Long Island, to Florida and the band stayed at his house here in Florida then they got into Bucks car and drove home.

Thats all I can recall. I am into music and lifting weights.

I know I have seen some movie TV stars at restaurants here in Florida, but I dont watch tv so I cant recall them. I didnt even know who they were my wife would say shes from this show, hes from that show. I think they come to Clearwater because they are in the church of Scientology. Another cult of brain dead Zombies.

I also met and got a lot of Cleveland Indians autographs when they would come to the Trop. Kenny Lofton ,Jim Thome, Many Ramairez, Charles Naggy, Jarret Wright, Sandy Alomar Jr., Omar Visquele, David Justice.

One time I was driving from Tampa to Cleveland to visit and I was going through Macon Gerorgia, and I saw a bunch of black limos and ambulances and police cars, So I followed them. They went to this black church and I asked the people standing there whats going on, They said this guy Al Gore, he is running for vice president with Bill Clinton, He is in there. So I thought this is a photo op. My wife pulled out our video camera and when he came out he shook my hand and talked to us on the camera and even said hello to our friends back at home. I wish that guy wasnt cheated out of his presidency. The world and the US would be a better place. It looked to me like the secret service agents had guns up their sleeves.

I met brother Knorr at the Cleveland Assembly the year I was Ham in the Noahs ark dramma.

• TMS
    TMS

Never having lived in one of the meccas of the rich & famous, I've run into just a few so-called celebrities. Thank you Minimus for such a carefully worded thread title. As a holy JW I was reluctant to say much to prominent worldlings, lest it be viewed as "idol worship".

Muhammad Ali: While attending Kingdom Ministry School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in early 1970, a couple of local brothers gave us a bus tour of the sights of the city. We saw Charles Taze Russell's grave with the epitaph "faithful and wise servant" clearly inscribed. We toured a church that used to be a Watchtower building. A loony elder from California got the holy spirit and shouted out: "God damn this church!" A self-righteous Cleveland elder let it be known that he didn't attend KM School for such frivolous activities as a bus tour. He stayed on the bus, reading his Bible. At a stop light a bunch of us almost at once saw Muhammad Ali, the heavyweight champion. I think it was the California loudmouth again who shouted out: "Cassius Clay!" Ali looked up and smiled to the waving elders.

Most of my other "sightings" occurred at my 30 year employment with Kroger(a job made possible by following the slave's direction on education).

Garth Brooks: A stocky man in a black cowboy hat came through my checkout line late at night. He was very polite, paying cash for a snack item. I did not recognize him at all. Moments later two teenaged girls wanted to know what Mr. Brooks had purchased. I told them. One girl squealed: "Oh, I just LOVE Cheetos!!"

The Everly Brothers: I did recognize these guys, especially after hearing they were in Little Rock for a concert. They were in the store at about 1:00 am after a concert. The had a shopping cart filled with frozen vegetables, no meat and a microwave oven. I just assumed they didn't want to eat at Denny's.

Natalie Cole: Bought some pantyhose and a couple beauty aids.

Sidney Moncrief: Former Milwaukee Buck and Arkansas Razorback star, probably could have been elected governor of Arkansas at the height of his popularity. His mother, Mrs. Perkins was a regular customer. His estranged dad was nearly a streat person, but wore a faded t-shirt with the inscription: "Number 32 is my son".

Bill Clinton: Did a photo-op at one of the stores I worked at. Very personable. He sacked groceries and carried them out for the ladies for almost two hours. This was during his last run for the governorship of Arkansas.

Ed Bradley: CBS "60 Minutes" man. Saw him at a mall. Can't remember the story he was working on. He was buying a gift for his aunt who lived in Pine Bluff.

Anthony Davis: Working in field service with an almost clueless elderly circuit overseer, Joel Meeks. I think it was September 1973. The USC Trojans were in Little Rock for a game with the Arkansas Razorbacks. For some reason the USC coach John McKay had the Trojans sightseeing on Main Street in Little Rock. The street ends in almost a ghetto where we were preaching. Meeks asked me who all these boys were. I told him about the USC-UA game. I remember having Anthony Davis, the later Heisman Trophy winner walk right by me. I'm short by any standard(5'7"), but Anthony and I met eyeball to eyeball.

tms

• Arthur
    Arthur

A couple of months ago, I went into an Aaron Brothers art store in Studio City (near LA). I saw Robert Blake, in fact, him and I literally almost ran into each other in one of the aisles. He was bragging to one of the clerks about all of the countries he's been to and the theatre productions he's been in.

( yes, he is just as creepy in person )

• skycaptain
    skycaptain

You are so lucky, Ive never seen a film actor in real life. probable because i live in sunny Scotland and not dull horrible London.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit