Don Imus Fired!

by minimus 217 Replies latest jw friends

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

gotcha Rethinking - Welcome to the board! (and note I didn't assume in my posts you were male or female )

• prophecor
    prophecor

D.I. will be promoted on satellite radio and be even bigger when no one really knew who he was. He'll smolder only for a moment, and all this will come to be to his benefit. That's the way things go, here in Amerika.

• Rethinking
    Rethinking

gotcha Rethinking - Welcome to the board! (and note I didn't assume in my posts you were male or female ) You didn't! Thanks for the welcome!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    gotcha Rethinking - Welcome to the board! (and note I didn't assume in my posts you were male or female )

That's so sweet their bonding! Survival instinct! You go girl!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    So it sounds like you are admitting you used it in a bad way - the racist way. One word, two standards

You follow me?

Yep, I do. Me and my husband were just talking about this topic. Oh, and I talked about it with my two daughters too.

• BR25
    BR25

All hip hop stations knock on whites everday, and then you have shows like the chapelle show that constantly knocked whites, but thats ok.

Sharpton and jackson said stuff about the duke lacrosse team, but its ok. Now if it were a college b-ball team and it involved 3 black players and a white stripper, and there were 2 well known white guys sticking up for the white stripper and the b-ball players got dropped of all charges here is what would happen. The 2 white guys would get fired, and there would dancing in the street from ny to sacramento once the charges were dropped, but know there is no double stands huh.

• Confession
    Confession

Whining about a double standard? Whining about a DOUBLE STANDARD? WHINING about a double standard? Are you kidding me?

"Double Standards" are what started the whole problem to begin with. Black people could be slaves; they were property--but white people weren't; they had rights. Even after the Emancipation Proclamation there were Jim Crow laws--which were "double standards." "Double Standards" are precisely what I, as a white person, railed against from the age of ten years on--to all the white people I knew who applied them primarily to black people.

It's this simple:

If you DON'T want race relations to improve, you will continue to abide double standards.

If you DO want race relations to improve, you will stop abiding double standards.

Any time someone says, "It's okay for me because of my race--but it's not okay for you because of yours," they are perpetuating the problem.

Don't think this is possible? Fine. You've made up your mind then. It will be duly noted the next time a double standard is used against you.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

All hip hop stations knock on whites everday, and then you have shows like the chapelle show that constantly knocked whites, but thats ok.

I remember the cartoons "Little Black Sambo"; and how they used to make a character in a cartoon look like a ugliest black person in the world after they got blown up. Their eyes would be all popped out, and their lips were made uncharacteristically bigger, they were made blacker than black, and their hair would be whacked up! They still show these cartoons sometimes. They still have movies that show this too! All that you can see is the black person's eyes in the dark. "Ain't nothin' in here but us chickens!".

• BR25
    BR25

I think double standards do mean something today. people abuse it. Not everyone was around when all the history went on. Nobody in the new generation from 0-30 yrs. old dont give a crap about history. They learn all the hatred from families, school, and the media.

Im just worried that my grand kids's - grand kids are still are going to be dealing with this 3 million years down the road

• EnlightenedMind
    EnlightenedMind
    All hip hop stations knock on whites everday

Do you listen to hip hop stations? There is no end to the senseless drivel that you find in music these days, especially hip hop, but knocking whites? No, these days, the mainstream music is all about bling and money and other foolishness.

shows like the chapelle show that constantly knocked whites, but thats ok

Dave Chappelle knocks whites, blacks, mexicans, all kinds. And he's certainly not the only comedian that does that. The difference is that comedians make generalizations for the sake of comedy, while Imus specifically targeted these few women.

As for the Duke lacrosse players, they were wrongly accused and are now being exonerated. If white people want to "dance in the streets", they can dance to their hearts content. And there IS talk of the prosecutor losing his license, as well he should. As for the two white guys in your hypothetical getting fired... not hardly. Look up The Innocence Project. How many prosecutors have lost their license for putting innocent men in jail for years and years?

I have acknowledged that there is a double standard, and I don't think that anyone is claiming that there isn't. The point is, that's irrelevant. There are things that are offensive if said by certain people, and this cuts across all cultures and color lines. There are double standards everywhere, but that is not a license to intentionally use terms that are known to be offensive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit