Don Imus Fired!

by minimus 217 Replies latest jw friends

• EnlightenedMind
    EnlightenedMind

Who cares if it's a double standard! If a white person calls me the n-word, it's going to be perceived differently than if a black person calls me the same thing. Just like a Spanish person might take offense if someone other than a Spanish person called him "homes." I wonder if people really don't understand that or if some are being intentionally obtuse for the sake of furthering their arguments.

What I don't understand is why white people whine about the double standard all the time. It's not navigating a minefield. Just don't say it, and get on with your lives. I don't whine because white people would be offended if I call them rednecks, while Foxworthy has made a career out of it. I just don't say it, and it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

This word is used by white people, and you know it!

David Allen Coe Lyric Jody Like A Melody - David Allen Coe. Longhaired Redneck - David Allen Coe. Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile - David Allen Coe. My Wife RanOffWithANigger - David Allen ...

www.zenlyrics.com/David+Allen+Coe/showartist/searchid/1947 -

• BrentR
    BrentR

There should be zero tolerance for anyone using any racist words irregardless of what color you are. Think about how many white, asian and hispanic kids listen to rap.

• Rethinking
    Rethinking

In my neck of the woods, the news is only talking about Imus' comment about the ladies' basketball team, so if he said more offensive things I cannot speak my opinion on them.

Someone, I forget, said that no one can make you feel inferior without your permission. If blacks use the same/similar or worse references to black women or other blacks as Imus did in videos, music, comedies or in conversation among themselves, or whatever, I think essentially, they are allowing people of other races to do the same.

If I don't beat the snot out of you for calling me the 'b'-word, but instead giggle at it, think it's cool or permit it in some fashion, someone who overhears you may think that it is okay to come along and call me that too.

It is a double-standard. Plain and simple. I don't buy the excuse that blacks put a positive spin on the 'n'-word because they are using it to mean "friend", "pal", or "confidant" when talking to each other. If white folks or anybody else can't refer to a black person by that word or any other negative references, neither should blacks to each other. Some blacks should examine themselves; I've been witness (eww, did I use that word?) to blacks being prejudiced to other blacks from different countries, so many are not as united on racial issues as some would like to make it appear.

And, yes, fire everyone who has done what Imus did, if that's possible. White, black, red, yellow, purple.

....By the way, I'm black.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

....By the way, I'm black.

I could tell. You sound like one of them "house" kinds. Now, that's used in a bad way!

• Rethinking
    Rethinking

Never heard that term before. What does it mean and will it warrant a beating from me?

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

to whoever said that what Imus said was different than rappers because rappers don't have a public radio show - well rappers are on public radio stations. That doesn't mean I support what Imus said. I HATE what I hear from rap songs about killing and calling women bitches and hoes - so I don't listen - I change the channel. Again that doesn't mean I support what Imus said, cause I don't

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

MsMcD - were you serious about what you just said? "House" kind? So if a black person doesn't think like you they are some kind of "house" kind? So there is only one way of thinking if you are black?

• BrentR
    BrentR

It is just as rediculous as JW parents telling thier kids that hitting people is wrong and then spanking the same kid. Double standards destroy and defeat the message. The messenger also becomes a hypocrite.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    MsMcD - were you serious about what you just said? "House" kind? So if a black person doesn't think like you they are some kind of "house" kind? So there is only one way of thinking if you are black?

Think like me? Not many people think like me. So, there you go. I'm me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit