Don Imus Fired!

by minimus 217 Replies latest jw friends

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Free...I was hoping your vacation would make you new man!

Swalker

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Liberals turning on liberals, is this a sign of the end of days? I think it is awesome!

I appreciate the humor, but I do not consider myself a liberal, by a long ways. Nor do I consider myself 'turning' on anyone. I am trying to have an intelligent discussion about a serious topic, but I seem to be in the minority.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Just a quick thought:

What if the 'shock jock' in this scenario were.......BLACK!? I wonder what kind of reaction there would be from:

• networks
    • Rutgers team
    • advertisers
    • public
    • Sharpton
    • Jackson

I'm betting there would be NONE - zero, zip, zilch. Interesting thought, yes? The double standard is alive and well - and central to the whole problem. You can't have it both ways.

• BR25
    BR25

When I last posted I was speaking of King Jrs son. How he is a respectful person with class. Im only 25, so I dont know a whole lot about his father, but have read up and seen footage of him.

Here is my biggest point- From what I have even seen from what Ive read and heard he never directed any negativity towards the whites and always handled himself with alot of dignity. All the way up to his assisination he never filled himself with hatred. His son is the same way. Like I said before he actually gives thanks to alot of white people in association with his foundations and what he is trying to do, and shaperton, Jackson, and every other civil right activist out there havent went through a fourth of what he has.

I hope someday Jr's son takes a more prominent lead, and becomes the main activist for black people. He knows that if you want things to change you have to include both races in what you are trying to do. This is one thing shaperton needs to learn. You cant get races to come together if you constantly stick up for just the blacks. You will never accomplish anything going about it this way. He sticks his nose in everything. If I was Imus I never would have went on a talk show with Shaperton. All he is going to do is make the situation worse and the outcome for those involved worse.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Just a quick thought:

What if the 'shock jock' in this scenario were.......BLACK!? I wonder what kind of reaction there would be from:

• networks
    • Rutgers team
    • advertisers
    • public
    • Sharpton
    • Jackson

I'm betting there would be NONE - zero, zip, zilch. Interesting thought, yes? The double standard is alive and well - and central to the whole problem. You can't have it both ways.

I'm sure that WOULDN'T be the case. If you've ever been in the New York area and listened to Star & Buc Wild, you would know that a black shock jock DOES get fired for crossing the line as far as Don Imus did.

• free2beme
    free2beme
    Free...I was hoping your vacation would make you new man!

:) I just think Imus is not someone I could, or ever will care for. However, he has been the Liberal stomping grounds master, for some time. It is so rare to see liberals turn on one another, as they have the "Do not judge others" attitude and are so accepting of everything with few limits. I just found this who thing amusing. You have to watch the South Park episode about "The N ... Word"

Personally, I think in about a year, after he has done some things to support the black community. He will come back on. Probably satellite. As for shock jocks, I wont listen to any and I also do not like RUSH. I do like the band RUSH though.

• minimus
    minimus

Russell Simmons, a pioneer in rap has stated that 3 offensive words should be stopped: bitch, ho and nigger. At least he's trying to have everyone stop using these disparaging words. Better late than never!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Russell Simmons, a pioneer in rap has stated that 3 offensive words should be stopped: bitch, ho and nigger. At least he's trying to have everyone stop using these disparaging words. Better late than never!

I happened to catch him on a TV talk show this morning. He came across as very personable and gentle. He said that when these words come out over the public airwaves, that (some) people have the right to be upset with this and can demand these words NOT be used on this venue. He went on to say that IF those that wanted to hear this language in their "music"...then they have the right to go and buy the CDs. He was also promoting his book ( A rules-for-living book) which he said was on the best-seller list.

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit