Don Imus Fired!

by minimus 217 Replies latest jw friends

• GramblingMan
    GramblingMan

Regarding negative rap music, MTV/BET and the people who sell it are control by money. You do understand a very high % (I think over 70%) who buy rap music are white teenagers and young adults. Rap music didn't start out negative and by and large it isn't, what you are hearing and seeing is what sell to the mainstream.

• Confession
    Confession
    I'm not a Sharpton fan but what you say about Sharpton not taking a stand against negative rap music isn't true. The media just hasn't covered it, like this incident. Also whore/ho didn't start with rap music. I know for a fact that early 70 movies (black explotation films) were using the word and it's safe to say that the word was in use before hollywood got to it.

Is he calling for their being fired by their labels? Has he taken this strong of a stand?

I did not say that the word "started" with rap music. I wrote, with reference to its modern-day use for women in general...

...where did people first begin using "ho" so widely? Wasn't it with many in the Rap Music culture?

I stand by that.

Respectfully,

Confession

• Confession
    Confession
    Regarding negative rap music, MTV/BET and the people who sell it are control by money. You do understand a very high % (I think over 70%) who buy rap music are white teenagers and young adults. Rap music didn't start out negative and by and large it isn't, what you are hearing and seeing is what sell to the mainstream.

Nothing you've written here contradicts anything I wrote. Nationally syndicated talk radio programs are (as we see now) obviously 'controlled by money' too. What is your point about rap music being purchased by white teenagers and young adults? I know this, but don't see how this has anything to do with the points I made. And the fact that this music is what 'sells to the mainstream' only makes my point more solidly. If there's people who like it--and there's a market for it--then you're probably going to see it happening. This is true with the music industry--and it's true with nationally syndicated talk radio programs.

Right?

• GramblingMan
    GramblingMan

Yes he has taken a stance and marched because of it. So because he didn't ask for them to be fired from the label makes it less credible? He has been very vocal and public, about how he feels about the current state of rap music.

• GramblingMan
    GramblingMan

You are not the only person that has comment on this board.

• Confession
    Confession

Yes he has taken a stance and marched because of it. So because he didn't ask for them to be fired from the label makes it less credible? He has been very vocal and public, about how he feels about the current state of rap music.

Glad to hear he was involved in a march about it. But why was he not merely "very vocal and public" about Don Imus? Why did he go to the extreme of calling for his firing? And why did he not go to such an extreme with rappers?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I'm not a Sharpton fan but what you say about Sharpton not taking a stand against negative rap music isn't true. The media just hasn't covered it, like this incident. Also whore/ho didn't start with rap music. I know for a fact that early 70 movies (black explotation films) were using the word and it's safe to say that the word was in use before hollywood got to it.

Is he calling for their being fired by their labels? Has he taken this strong of a stand?

You play the hand you're dealt. If Al Sharpton waged a continual campaign urging record companies to drop gansta rappers who use similar language to what Mr. Imus used, he would be a Don Quixote tilting at windmills. The public wouldn't pay attention.

A cynic looks at Al Sharpton's involvement in this and says, hypocrisy! Inconsistency! I look at it say, here's a wedge that Al Sharpton and others used to get people talking about how hurtful such casual racism as what Mr. Imus displayed can be to young people.

Don Imus will survive this.

As recently as the 1950's black people were being hung in Alabama - just for being black.

White people need to run as fast as they can, as far as they can from that legacy. Calling young black women "nappy headed hos" ain't gettin' it. It's not cool for black men to use that language towards black women either, as I said earlier, perhaps the tide is turning.

• Confession
    Confession
    You play the hand you're dealt. If Al Sharpton waged a continual campaign urging record companies to drop gansta rappers who use similar language to what Mr. Imus used, he would be a Don Quixote tilting at windmills. The public wouldn't pay attention.

I disagree. Al Sharpton vs. Snoop Dogg? You don't think that would make headlines?

A cynic looks at Al Sharpton's involvement in this and says, hypocrisy! Inconsistency! I look at it say, here's a wedge that Al Sharpton and others used to get people talking about how hurtful such casual racism as what Mr. Imus displayed can be to young people.

It is not "cynical" to ask for an equal application of criticism.

Don Imus will survive this.

Agreed.

White people need to run as fast as they can, as far as they can from that legacy. Calling young black women "nappy headed hos" ain't gettin' it. It's not cool for black men to use that language towards black women either, as I said earlier, perhaps the tide is turning.

If you are going to move for an especially sensitive America--and you wish for this to extend even to comedians and other entertainers, then you cannot condemn some of them--while giving lip service where others are concerned.

• uninformed
    uninformed
    I agree about Sharpton and rappers; BUT it is one thing for a black person to use the n word. Stupid and demeaning, but not a racial slur like this. If they use racial slurs against whites or Jews, they deserve the same treatment as Imus.

Not long ago, Sharpton called NYC "Himey Town".

Double standard.

I always like Imus. He portrayed bitter old grouch and was a 'shock jockey'. His comments were ALWAYS inappropriate. His particular comment about the basketball girls was not funny nor should he have said what he did.

I wish the black community would work on their real problems. Seems like everyone can be rascists but them.

u

• TonyT
    TonyT

As a white male Imus meets the required qualifications for getting in trouble for racist comments.

Members of other groups get a pass.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit