Don Imus Fired!

by minimus 217 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Now he can go on Sirius or XM and really say what he thinks...

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

When I was looking at the Imus video, I noticed that he looked old, ill, and very fragile. I'm sure they gave him his entire retirement package. As if he needed it.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I'm glad. Those kinds of degrading slurs belong to a different era.

It's a shame that the gangsta rappers have made such talk fashionable. They're as misogynistic as the fucking Taliban.

Perhaps this backlash against Imus is the turning of the tide.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

The video shows Imus using the term and another video where a man says "fag out".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ui1jPNDWArM

• Numinous
    Numinous

How come nobody screamed when Mr. Jefferson called white people "honkeys" years ago? It was funny then, but, as comedians go, there will come a day when you carry a shocking comment too far. Nobody is saying what he said is ok, but man, how many times can you apologize for something. If the person you are apologizing to doesn't accept it, it's on them. Whenever someone told me something I knew wasn't true I would just say "no I'm not" and move on with my life. You have to be pretty weak in your sense of self to say "he took our joy away"...it says they value his viewpoint more than their own. Where does censorship end?

• Warlock
    Warlock

I used to listen to his show a few years ago, but they sold the station and he was no longer available.

I heard Imus say a few things that were at least as bad, or worse, than what he was fired for. If you SAW the show, you could see on his face that he was just being a sarcastic old crank, and I really don't think HE even believed what he was saying most of the time.

Warlock

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Whenever someone told me something I knew wasn't true I would just say "no I'm not" and move on with my life. You have to be pretty weak in your sense of self to say "he took our joy away"...it says they value his viewpoint more than their own. Where does censorship end?

Nobody's talking about you on public TV or radio. You have to experience it to understand it. Sorry is a sorry word.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Where does censorship end?

This firing was not an act of government, and in no way are Don Imus's first amendment rights being infringed upon by any of this.

Advertisers pay extremely close attention to prevailing attitudes, and the media sensation that this story has created (and it's not a case of the tail wagging the dog - people don't pay attention to it if they don't care), made them realize that such talk is simply not acceptable to most Americans. So they did the wise thing and pulled out.

20 years ago when I was a snotty white High School-aged brat in a little suburb of Columbus Ohio, me and my white friends used the word n*gger without any qualms. And we meant it too. We hated black people!

Today's High School aged kids would likely be mortified at the casual, unconscious racism that existed amongst me and my friends. Back then, it just seemed natural. But the zeitgeist has changed - for the better.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Sharpton and company should get all the rappers fired too.

Most rappers are self-employed. People buy their music. There are no rappers doing public TV talkshows? Is there?

• heathen
    heathen

Oh he'll probly just go to xfm or cable anyway. It's probly all just for publicity. I do agree that people are being overly sensitive about a white guy using a phrase that was probly invented by black people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit