Don Imus Fired!

by minimus 217 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

I agree if they are going to go after people like michael richards or don imus for alledged racism then they need to go after dave chapelle and chris rock and any number of other entertainers that make a living using racist slurs . The problem as I stated before is that a white guy used a phrase that was probly even coined by a black guy to begin with .

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

I actually like Chapelle quite a bit. His humor is 1.) funny 2.) sometimes even makes a good point - on both sides of an issue.

Chris Rock also cracks me up, but I don't think he's a sharp as Chapelle.

Can't wait for the South Park version of this comes out!

• minimus
    minimus

Chappelle and Rock are great because they can poke fun at EVERYBODY including themselves.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

The punishment was excessive and doesn't fit the crime - it was stupid but Imus as compared to the comments that have been made by those new language police Sharpton and Jackson - aren't even a blip on the radar. The ladies on the ball team had more grace and class in handling this situation than Sharpton and Jackson put together - and they accepted his apology.

Interesting enough, rapper 50 cent gave a radio interview where he referred to his Jewish lawyers as the 'goon squad'....that was last week but where has all the anger gone? Didn't Mel Gibson have to run for cover when he made equally offensive remarks?

Now - as for Snoop Dog and what he thinks, here we go...and I'm not hearing anyone spout off about this. I think his generalization of white men and those on MSNBC is extremely offensive, yet not a peep. Where's his record label decrying this statement? Where's MTV and sponsors now?

Snoop recently commented on the Don Imus situation:

"It's a completely different scenario. (Rappers) are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about hos that's in the 'hood that ain't doing sh*t, that's trying to get a nigg* for his money. These are two separate things. First of all, we ain't no old-ass white men that sit up on MSNBC going hard on black girls. We are rappers that have these songs coming from our minds and our souls that are relevant to what we feel. I will not let them muthaf*ckas say we are in the same league as him. Kick him off the air forever."

- Snoop issued the statement through MTV.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Nice Snoop Nice.

So who is going to take up the cause of black women to no longer tolerate being degraded by white or black men - young or old-assed?

Oprah? Condoleezaa Rice? Star Jones? Halle Berry?

Someone!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Don Imus' biggest mistake in all this was to apologize to Al Sharpton, reinforcing the inference that Sharpton speaks for the entire black race. Sharpton is a parody and an embarrassment.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The fundamental problem is that there is no real black leadership. There are those who are capable, but do not want the job (Bill Cosby, Shelby Steel, Cornell West, etc.)
    Upon reflection, I withdraw Cornell West's name from the list. I haven't read his stuff in decades. He has some good ideas, but basically subscribes to the "it's the white man keeping the black man down" school of black leadership.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

goon is not a perjorative term for a jew, or a lawyer. Period.

Slang is one of my hobbies. Goon comes from a the cartoons that spawned Popeye the Sailor - Thimble Theater

[Origin: 1920–25; shortened from dial. gooney, var. of obs. gony a simpleton (< ?); influenced by the comic-strip character Alice the Goon in the series Thimble Theatre by E. C. Segar (1894–1938), American cartoonist]

Don't get me wrong. I also assumed 50 Cent was referring to some stereotype about the attitude and efficacy of Jewish lawyers. But he did NOT specifically say it. He didn't.

• MadTiger
  • heathen
    heathen

I think snoop dog is full of SH@# . I wish I could say I lost respect for him but never had any.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit