Don Imus Fired!

by minimus 217 Replies latest jw friends

• Dismembered
  • minimus
    minimus

Dis, you know everything.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused
    It's you who took issue with what I said to someone else and then decided to take up her cause and ride my ass. You're just so good. .

Just as you and others took issue with Imus calling those girls from that basketball team a slur. He didn't call you a "nappy haired hoe" or Sharpton or Jackson - so do you think they should not have taken issue with it? Why did you take issue with it then since he didn't call you names?

Why are you referring to me as "you're just so good" ? Are you implying that I'm only objecting to your slurs of another person for show? Or are you trying to deflect the critism by suggesting my motives or ill?

If you can ride Imus ass and the cartoonists asses and take up a cause - based on their racist attitudes - why can't I do the same with your racist attitude as expressed to a poster?

You're not apoligizing for your beliefs or statements, but you want me to apoligize for mine.

Mine aren't racist! Yours are! I don't have a belief that it's ok to think or call someone a "house" n-word. What about my beliefs would you want me to apologize for?

I'm just not going to do that. You'll just have to live with it. I don't owe you an apology.

Well based on those statements shouldn't people just have to live with Imus or anyone else who makes racial statements? (I don't think they should) You don't owe me an apology you owe Rethinking an apology and the board and apology for using that slur here.

• minimus
    minimus

"Nappy Headed Ho" Bears are now being sold on the internet. Google it. Tee shirts and other stuff.

• Confession
    Confession

Whose mandate is this?

We're not talking about governmental regulation here, because it HAS received blanket criticism and condemnation from the FCC. No one can say that type of stuff on the air, regardless of race, so there is no institutional disparity with regards to the word.

I am not calling for a governmentally regulated "mandate." I am saying to you, EM, as well as to any individual, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander." If you are going to condemn a white person for using a word--to the degree that you create a nationally broadcast appeal call for his firing--then you must condemn any black person for it as well--IF you have any interest in being considered a fair person.

So what more do you want? You want to regulate the sensibilities of individual people? That's unrealistic. Who are we to tell anybody else what should or should not offend them?

If I have to criticize one person who uses the word, I have to criticize everybody who uses it? Well, what if only one person offends me?

So a black person says it and it doesn't offend you. Then a white person says it and it does offend you. You have just discriminated against a person based upon the color of his skin. Congratulations. I don't want to "regulate the sensibilities of individual people." The only standard is the one MLK espoused. That one day people will "not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Simple. If it's wrong for you, it's wrong for me--and vice/versa.

Are you saying that black people should be offended when other black people use the word as well? Well, that's your opinion. (and mine as well, btw). But just because we believe that doesn't mean that it's "right", or that we can force others to share that viewpoint. We don't all have to think collectively as a group about it.

I would never tell a black person when they should and should not become offended. Regardless of a person's skin color and regardless of what they may "feel" inside, applying a standard of speech to a person of one skin color--but not to someone of another color--to the degree that you will condemn them or call for their firing--is pure racism.

To infer that the word has a blanket meaning and should be either totally embraced or totally discarded by everyone is the same as saying we should outlaw the word "fire" rather than outlawing the act of yelling "Fire!" in a crowded auditorium.

I disagree. In your example, everyone gets to use the word "fire" in everyday speech. But no one gets to shout it in a crowded theater.

• Descender
    Descender

I took a sociology class in college that was about race relations years ago. The Professor was a middle aged white woman that really seemed to hate her own race. She was always ragging on white people and apologizing to the few black students in the class for the past actions of her white ancestors.

She showed us all a video one day of several white and black people getting together in a study group. Both races were middle aged males. They were both asked basic questions, like do you consider yourself racist. The white guys all said, "no, of course not." Some said they had black friends and such. The black guys said that they as black individuals could only be the object of racism and could not be racist because of their skin color. The black men all agreed that all the white men in the room were racist and the white men were visibly scared to make an issue of it. The black men were yelling at the white men, telling them that their ancestors had done this to the black race and it was on them to do something about it to make it right. The white guys sat there and wouldn't argue back, just saying that they didn't think that what their ancestors did in previous generations should affect the way people view them today. One of the black guys jumped up and threw his chair accross the floor and yelled that he was so mad that these white guys just didn't get it and he felt like hitting one of them. After the video was over, the proffesor asked us what we thought. The white students didn't really understand, none of us thought we were racist, and didn't think we should be judged on things we had no control over. The black students said they completely understood the black guys outrage on the video, and it was obvious that white people just couldn't get it.

I stated that I think it's all an eyesight problem. Without eyesight, words and race would mean nothing because we wouldn't be able to perceive the difference between white, black, brown, red, or yellow. So if everyone just gouged the old eyeballs out we could forget about this race stuff and live in peace. Oh, except for religion of course.

• EnlightenedMind
    EnlightenedMind

Confession, thank you for your response. I agree to disagree.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Is a "nappy-headed ho" the same thing as a "bleached-blonde bimbo" only of a different color? Would the BBB remark have stirred up this much controversy? Thoughts please..................

• minimus
    minimus

Every group could concievably point out that their ancestors were mistreated. It gives no good reason to be nasty in the present.

• Warlock
    Warlock

You may be able to control what people say, but you cannot control what they think.

I would rather know what they think by what they say, rather than tell them "You can't say that!".

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit