What's the difference between humans and animals if there is no God

by JH 85 Replies latest jw friends

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    I looked at him and said: "Your father's sperm was a one-celled thing-a-ma-jig piddling around in the ocean of your mother's womb and---look at you!"

LOL, Brilliant!

I'll have to remember that one.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    I am not special, I am not created, I don't have a purpose, I am not intricately made, I am not unique, I hold NO value or worth, I am not an individual,

What? ok I don't know if god is out there but if he is not we are still unique there will never be someone like me or you ever again. If there is no god that's it, one chance to make a difference, to make life better for somebody who only has one shot at life too. If there is no god you will still be you now and for ever, every thing you will do is now and for ever. You are, we are and "I am".

• moshe
    moshe

two things are certain for humans- death and taxes- animals don't have to pay taxes.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    two things are certain for humans- death and taxes- animals don't have to pay taxes.

Good one!!

• Warlock
    Warlock
    animals don't have to pay taxes.

Yeah.

Tell THAT to the IRS!

Warlock

• Twitch
    Twitch
    What's the difference between humans and animals if there is no God

We have opposable thumbs and weapons of mass destruction?

We created many gods in many forms throughout the ages and to the faithful they were as real as any other. Did we finally get it right? Do we now understand? What will god look like to people 1000 years from now?

my 2c

• DJK
    DJK

I am an Atheist. To me there is no god.

If we are part of the animal kingdom, then we are the most intelligent. But are we? Believing in something we cannot see or prove doesn't seem intelligent.

Animals create and destroy with instinct, to survive. Without knowledge of good and bad.

Man can create. Man can destroy. Man can create thing's to destroy. Good or bad, man does this with knowledge of it's good and bad.

Where we came from is less important to me than what we have learned getting here, and what I have to do to get me into tomorrow.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

My question is in the inverse. If there is a God, how do we then differ from animals... that is from a theist view.

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

I apologize if someone already raised this point. But if God is the supreme authority, then who gave Him (or she or it) that much needed purpose people keep talking about? If no one did this for God, but he gave Himself a purpose, why can't we do the same for ouselves? It really isn't that hard to do. It's a responsibility to ourselves.

Do you suppose that God feels crushed by the news that there's no one out there to tell him he's special? Does he need an outside source to give His life meaning? I thought the Bible told us that the answer to this question is "no." Yet somehow, he manages to go on without being in a state of misery. Or so we're told. We can too. I really don't see the problem here.

Life is what you make of it. You don't need God to make you unique or to give your life meaning. We are, for all intents and purposes, just animals with big brains IMO. That is rather humbling. But it isn't terrible. Great men and women still do great things. Shakespeare still wrote his plays and Einstein still came up with the theory of General Relativity. Whether God is in the picture or not changes nothing about who we are.

IsaacJ

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

This question unwittingly points to the obvious: gods, religion, morals, etc., are specifically human issues.

Whether we find it disappointing, scary, or thrilling: it's our face in the mirror.

All in all, we'd better smile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit