What's the difference between humans and animals if there is no God

by JH 85 Replies latest jw friends

• PEC
    PEC

I am not special, I am not created, I don't have a purpose, I am not intricately made, I am not unique, I hold NO value or worth, I am not an individual,

That is correct, I have no problem with that.

I still want to know why God is a always a boy. Does "He" have male genitals?

Because, Man made God in his image.

Philip

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

there's not a big difference between ants and humans either, behaviourly.

tetra

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Scholars often differentiate between two kinds of religion,mythos and logos. Mythos refers to imaginative religion based on myths, or stories with meanings. Myths provide an explanation of why things are the way they are and give a deeper meaning to life. The two creation stories in the Hebrew Bible are among the most famous myths in Western culture. I believe that myths were never meant to be taken literally but were probably understood even by a pre-scientific people as metaphorical attempts to describe a reality that was too complex and mysterious to comprehend in any other way. It is only in a scientific age, with its emphasis on factual knowledge, that myths have come to be understood as facts. By taking myths literally, fundamentalist religion transforms mythos into logos.

http://www.uuworld.org/ideas/articles/6558.shtml

• press any key
    press any key

riddle me this

if the purpose of the sun is to provide us light and heat, but we have no purpose, does that negate the suns purpose

and if our purpose is to love and worship GOD, but he has no purpose, does this negate our purpose

just wondering

cheers

pak

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

if the purpose of the sun is to provide us light and heat, but we have no purpose, does that negate the suns purpose

and if our purpose is to love and worship GOD, but he has no purpose, does this negate our purpose

The sun provides light and heat to the earth, its flora and fauna, regardless of humans' existance. And how do you know that's the only purpose of the sun? Why limit the sun's purpose to light and heat, only?

Where did you discover that humans' purpose is to love and worship God? Where did you come up with the idea that God exists? That he may or may not have a purpose? Does God have a purpose? IF God has a purpose, do you know what it is? How do you know this?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The difference is Beer!!..How many animals make Beer!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    The difference is Beer!!..How many animals make Beer!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

I believe this single thread of words is the most profoundly astute observation I've ever read on JWD.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    If there is no God, does this make us the most intelligent Animal?

That would make us he most intelligent animal discovered so far. Yes.

What's the difference between humans and animals if there is no God?

I would think self awareness should be good enough... but here's an incomprehensive list:

We are smart. We use fire, electricity, plumbing, computers, and cars, all of which improve our lives and abilities due to our knowledge. We have a sense of empathy that allows us to determine that murder, theft and rape are wrong. And we form governments to protect potential victims of such crimes. Using subs, planes and cars, we can fly higher than most birds, dive deeper than most fish, move faster than any known animal, and travel through space. Speeking of space, we were the first known species to leave the atmosphere, or to put anything into orbit, or set foot on the moon.. We constantly strive to improve our species. We all have individual likes, dislikes and prefferences. We can suppress our instincts, we can even change our instincts. (Therapy, drugs etc.)

Intelligence is probably evolution's greatest achievement to date.

We are the only species on the entire planet, in our entire solar system, in our entire galaxy, in the whole universe with such great potential. We don't need a god to hold our hand and tell us that we have to go potty outside the camp, or that stealing is bad.

Humans are special, simply because we ARE special, not because some MORE special god decided that we are.

But some people would like to change all that... some people would prefer if humans, (under gods direction) just gave up science and stuck to farming for all eternity, possibly naked. Or worse yet, give up EVERYTHING we know, to go live in some alternate dimension playing a harp on golden streets, chanting 'holy holy holy is god'... yah, that'll boost your self esteem.

LtCmd.Lore

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

The core of this thinking really de-values us as individuals.

If I am merely an animal, and am just a happenstance that came into being because of something called the evolutionary process, then:

I am not special, I am not created, I don't have a purpose, I am not intricately made, I am not unique, I hold NO value or worth, I am not an individual,

For me, the core of this thinking is empowering in the extreme.

If I am a sinful, infantile creation undeserving of happiness and life except by the grace of my absent creator ("Amazing grace...saved a wretch like me?" What an ugly song! I'm no wretch, are you?),

I am not my own person, I don't have free will, I am not responsible for my actions, good or bad.

It's like we're all irresponsible children waiting for a celestial parent to clean up our mess.

Instead, if we evolved, then I am a god! You're a god! Imagine it: we're the supreme beings on this planet, maybe even in the whole universe. We should all act as gods and goddesses. Then it's on us to treat ourselves, eachother, lower animals, and the environment with the respect and dignity the universe deserves. It's on us to be righteous and just for the sake of being righteous and just. How many people through their own weakness create disorder and chaos in the world with the hope or rationale that a god will forgive them when needed? In some respects an all-forgiving god that tosses out forgiveness like cheap cookies is as dangerous to the world as a vengeful god damning all infidels to death.

Atheism is beautiful.

• Handsome Dan
    Handsome Dan

Biological intelligence nothing else ! .......and a good pair of pants

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit