What's the difference between humans and animals if there is no God

by JH 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Gerard
    Gerard

Biologically, you'd be surprised to know how many genes we share withg other forms of life, even with bacteria and insects! Human-chimps DNA resemble about 98%.

What makes us different? Self awareness and complex communication. More than a privilege, humans should recognize our moral/ethical obligation to protect this planet and our felow creatures.

Regarding God, the mere concept has proven highly lethal. Humanity wants answers? Invest in research as faith alone is not enough to find the truth of any question - as simple as it may be.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    That puts them [humans] in a position to communicate and interact with a creator.

Most people who claim that, also have some type of mental disease. A few people claim to have been 'enlightened' but you can not claim this as a proof of actual communication or the existance of God.

• daystar
    daystar

I'm not going to read all five pages of this, but I wanted to comment on this.

The core of this thinking really de-values us as individuals.

If I am merely an animal, and am just a happenstance that came into being because of something called the evolutionary process, then:

I am not special, I am not created, I don't have a purpose, I am not intricately made, I am not unique, I hold NO value or worth, I am not an individual,

I could go on but I am sure you get the point.

I don't know where you get all of that. You don't have to be created by some supernatural entity to be unique, valuable, an individual, etc. I didn't create my son from legos, purposefully, and yet he is all of these things to me, just another human animal. We are all of the things you describe and more without the need for us having been intentionally created by some supreme being.

Stop teaching the money bs and tell them they are created by a loving God who desires to know them intimately!

So, in your opinion, it would be better to lie to them just so they, in your opinion, have a feel-good POV? Again, it's unnecessary, but the alternative just scares you because, perhaps, you are devoid of a sense of your personal worth and power outside of what some supernatural spirit creature supposedly gives you.

My value as a truly unique, purposeful, amazing individual does not depend upon the existence or non-existence of some god outside of myself, especialy since any gods are manifestations from within us anyway and are not outside of us.

• Terry
    Terry
    If everyone on the earth was destroyed except for a dozen people, it wouldn't take long for them to start acting just like the animals in order to survive.

How about 8?

• daystar
    daystar
    How about 8?

*nudge* Terry, Terry, Terry...

• mavie
    mavie

Can I go on a cyber rampage for just a moment?

The core of this thinking really de-values us as individuals.

Stop teaching the money bs and tell them they are created by a loving God who desires to know them intimately!

The question of whether God exists or not should not de-value humans as individuals. I don't consider the relationship valid in any case. Non-theism is unrelated to any intrinsic 'value' a person has. I believe each person creates his or her own reason for living. We make our own meaning.

http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Meaning-Viktor-Frankl/dp/1844132390/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/102-2570890-7690564?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176057621&sr=8-3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man%27s_search_for_meaning

Here is a quote:

" It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life—daily and hourly. Our answer must consist, not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual."

Do animals do this? Who knows. Can animals ponder their existance? Are humans the only lifeform that has evolved which is able of asking these types of questions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit