What's the difference between humans and animals if there is no God

by JH 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Warlock
    Warlock
    We're animals, there's no shame in it.

We are humans. Why do people who believe as you do, seem to find shame in that?

Warlock

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Warlock:

We are humans. Why do people who believe as you do, seem to find shame in that?

I don't. Not at all. And I don't know why you would think I do. I am immensely proud of the acheivements of our species. Nonetheless, that does not change the fact that we are animals. Obviously, we are humans as well. You seem to have some trouble grasping that. What it comes down to is that humans (Homo sapiens) are just one of many species of animals. That doesn't mean we are pigs or monkeys or iguanas. We are a different species of animal, but are still completely and totally animal.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

we are also mammals aren't we?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Derek, it is self evident that humans have a spiritual dimension precisely because they seek to do and develop things that go way beyond securing physical survival something that animals and much more inanimate objects can not do. Humans learn, solve complicated problems, create, perfect, understand artistic beauty, in ways that are a world apart from animals and in ways that far exceed survival requirements. See where mankind is at present compared to the stone age, whereas animals are still today just as they were then. Clearly humans have a spiritual flame that is unique to them even if they have a mainly animal like body. Of course that body also has its superior points, walking on two legs, speech organs, each person has a unique face (except in the rare identical twins) and even a unique voice that guarentees them their individuality, and thin hair cover.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I find it amazing that people believe they have no worth if there is no God....wow. Be nice if people maybe looked at themselves as being an important part of the world - do your best for it and it will do it's best for you.....and although we often define the difference between humans and animals as 'humans have a consciousness' - the ability to reason, to remember the past yet plan for the future - what do we really know of how animals think? Maybe to them there is an animal God? sammieswife

• restrangled
    restrangled

What's the difference between Humans and animals?

Most animals have extraordinary senses. Our pet dogs are able to hear 250 Yards to our 25, in the same audio range. Their olfactory senses far surpass us. Our dogs can smell fear or bad intentions from other humans.

Our cats have exceptional eyesight in the dark that far surpass humans but might be surpassed by certain birds.

They have the capacity for attachment, and I believe emotions, such as love, sadness, and contentment. ....Maybe more

The difference is "reason". Animals react to instinct and sensory influences. Humans react to instinct, sensory and then in the end reason.

We are here to take care of the animals and they are here to assist us in certain ways. I don't think either would thrive without the other.

r.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...Humans are the only liveing creature..That can be friendly to another species..Until it`s time to eat them...OUTLAW

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

greendawn

Derek, it is self evident that humans have a spiritual dimension precisely because they seek to do and develop things that go way beyond securing physical survival something that animals and much more inanimate objects can not do.

Yeah, and humans also have a fairy dimension, a Yeti dimension, a Nessie dimension, a Beast-of-Dartmoor dimension, a Star Trek dimension, a mascara dimension, an interior designer dimension. Why do you think having a belief in something means something exists? Holy Tooth Fairy.

Humans learn, solve complicated problems, create, perfect, understand artistic beauty, in ways that are a world apart from animals and in ways that far exceed survival requirements.

Funny that a human can use its evolved abilities in way removed from the survival requirements that lead to the development of those abilities. Bit like a dog learning to shake hands or look for drugs. Oh, by the way, Bower Birds think modern human art is rubbish.

Of course that body also has its superior points, walking on two legs, speech organs, each person has a unique face (except in the rare identical twins) and even a unique voice that guarentees them their individuality, and thin hair cover.

For Pete's sake,. you're making really bad points man. Bipedal locomotion; means we have back problems as we were originally quadrupeds, and evolution does not make a target design that work perfectly and evolve towards it but refine an existing design to meet gross survival demands with sometimes negative secondary effects. Speech organs; most animals communicate - we have bigger brains and more to talk about. Unique face; sheep (and likely most social mammals) can identify each other very well thank you, even if we can't tell one from another; I know, I know, they all look the same. Sheep probably think that about us. Thin hair cover; and this makes us unanimalistic why? Does it make hairless mole rats human? It actually means we have to wear clothes most of the time... but I suppose clothes are a human attribute? LOL.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    I for one believe that animals are special, intricate, unique, have much value, and have individual personalities and the capacity to love. What they lack is the ability to ruin things on the same scale as humans have done. Sure, we humans are "special" but not necessarily in a good way.

So many great answers on this thread. Really interesting as I am studying this for my current assignment.

I think objecting to being called an animal devalues animals and is Animalism, ie considering them to be less just because they are tasty!

• Terry
    Terry

Is God necessary for Belief in God?

Is Santa (as an actually existing person) necessary for belief in Santa?

Or, is the mere exposure to the IDEAS which represent God (or Santa) enough for humans to demonstrate their differences in regard to animals (who do not profess faith in God.).

Humans can believe in things which do not exist regardless of evidence/non evidence.

Animals can be fooled too.

The chief difference between animals and humans is that humans build churches, create literature, compose music and write jokes which exist long after they are gone. Animals have no posterity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit