This board is not for me.

by Wafe 142 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

Wow!

The diversity of answers on this post. I tried to get through them all, but I was afraid I would forget what I had to say. Got to the last page, though.

When the facade falls away from your life and all your cherished beliefs are in question, the world is a scary place, isn't it? Your mind is quite open and raw and very sensitive to thoughts and ideas that make it feel uncomfortable.Yeah? So it is our natural response to avoid what causes us discomfort.

I don't know how long you have been in the Witnesses or if you were raised in it. I know, after 30 years of being heavily influenced by this group, my thinking processes were altered. It does take some time and some adjustments to reintregate your mind. after all, your heart and mind have been in conflict for some time. For that matter, your mind is actually hiding things from itself.

Sound crazy? Read up on cults and what they actually do to people's thinking processes to control them. You may not like the word cult in reference to the Witnesses, but if you read the material on cults, you'll have to agree that there are some red flags screaming out to be heard. But you have to open your mind enough to listen rather than tuck them neatly away.

Give yourself some time and make the mental adjustments to learn to take control of your life again. Sometimes that involves doing things in life you once thought were taboo. Not from a spiritual sense, but from a Witness sense, something you really never understood or believed anyway. They have plenty of unscriptual rules to break, it should be easy to find something.

You just have to break the dependency. You have been told what to think for some time, I am sure. Now it's your turn to take responsibility for what you choose to do with your life. Not the latest Watchtower,not the "new light", not the governing body. It is totally up to you and there is nothing to hide behind.

If you choose to believe in Jesus and the Bible, that is your choice. If you are firm in your beliefs, then what others say is not going to threaten you. I guess you have to do your own investigation and then make up your own mind. After this, diversity of opinions will not disturb you so much. But it is good to have people around to challange our beliefs on occassion. It keeps us from becoming stagnant in our lives.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Dave,

Good post, and good to see you again I hope that you are feeling a little brighter in health these days.

Qu'est ce que 'pissy'?

You mentioned one important dynamic on these Boards that does not rely on any neurosis for impulsion, and that is the importance of its entertainment value in helping to form a spirit free from the emotional boundaries of a cultic world. Jehovah's Witnesses, and we well know this from our own experience, cannot survive as JW's without taking themselves far too seriously - it is part of the demands made on us by the WTS. Most of us turn up on this Board and bring with us exactly this sense of self-indulgent grandiosement, as if this huge World circles only us and anything they say or do that may bring it, and all that is worthy, crashing down around them. The cut and thrust that demands we defend our words, statements, notions etc, may sting in the short term, but if we are provoked into standing up and defending who we are and what we believe, it is a worthy instigation.

These Boards as I have intoned in the past, presents a very one-dimensional, almost dishonest view of a person and it is a fool who believes that they can always surmise a person or their motives from their posts. If people are hurt by words written by somebody they do not know, have never even seen or are likely to meet, then the insecurities imho are their own.

I will give you an example. Simon got himself a reputation for 'hating America' by some comments he made while discussing political issues, a discipline that he tends to feel passionate about. Many people, some close friends too, left the Board disgusted. He was pilloried and attacked both on JWD, JWO and other places and though I do not read these other Boards they are probably still picking at the decomposing scabs of their wounds as we speak. Someone even left a message at Amazon.com critiquing JWD and describing Simon Green as anti-American etc. etc. Ye Gods - don't they have a garden to dig!

What the Hell, who cares whether Simon is or is not anti-American. Are we so shallow and insecure that Simon's views, my views, or yours Dave, on anything at all for that matter are actually THAT important? This is an unhealthy trend emotionally, and this Board is not a substitute for a good therapist, to think so takes us into dangerous territory.

I know Outlaw away from JWD, and know myself very well. Neither of us in our real lives are close to the type of person you describe in your post. I can also guarantee that those who have tried to sum up the person that I am, and you as well as others have done this detrimentally on many occasions, have never even approached the gateway of the reality of what I am about. Lord above, many posters think that I am a woman because I chose to name myself after a mountain outcrop!

Another example : In the past you have described me, among other things, me as an insecure neurotic, and I have described you as a vain and self-important windbag. These are assumptions made on the words we write, but I am sure that in real life neither of us fit these descriptions, though given the length of this post maybe a label switch is due.

Perhaps recognition of the limits of what a discussion Board can do for us, or with us, will help those who take too much to heart what is said on them to better smell the roses.

Take care Dave. I wish you all the best, as I always have.

HS

• TopHat
    TopHat

I looked it up: Insecure Neuroctic

Humility goes out the window, and soon, without his even noticing it, an attitude of arrogance and unexamined superiority can take hold and become the norm. An Insecure Neuroctic has no flaws, in his own mind.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

HS,

Lord above, many posters think that I am a woman because I chose to name myself after a mountain outcrop!

Not I- I surmise you at least claim to be male. Who says cheerleaders can't be male, you certainly are!

In the past you have described me, among other things, me as an insecure neurotic, and I have described you as a vain and self-important windbag. These are assumptions made on the words we write, but I am sure that in real life neither of us fit these descriptions, though given the length of this post maybe a label switch is due.

Here's prime hilarious hillary the cheerleader- physician, heal thyself! You cast aspersions at others, and you clearly believe them- you stated it, so it must be true, right? Yet, when others such as my self make statements about how we picture you, you take it all too seriously!

In all seriousness, though, the rest of your points in the above posts are good ones, even though they're not really yours are they?

Just kidding- I'm sure you're not the neurotic monkey-spawned cheerleader your posts would seem to suggest.

BA- Can't we all just play nice?

PS- Now let's get back to the fun stuff, calling names and insulting intelligence, mmmK?

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Just happy to see Seven, and suddenly feeling very content to be broken, insecure and neurotic

~Merry

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Oh God Dave,

See what you have done now. Opened the jar containing that attack gnats.

HS

• TopHat
    TopHat

Are WE being attacked.....OH MY....I thought I was on ignore.....Have a good night...pulling covers over my head. LOL

• seven006
    seven006

HS, Thank you for your concern about my health. As far as my comments about you and Outlaw at the end of my last post, come on man, being a master of intelligent and sarcastic witticism that you have proven to be, I though you might at least be able to pick up on mine. IT WAS A JOKE!!! I think Outlaw who has read my posts over the years will get it. As far as SOME of the rest of your comments go…Just let sleeping dogs lie. ………………..Mary M, thank for you’re your kind comments, it’s good to see you again too. Take care, Dave

• needproof
    needproof

Hi there,

what is the point of having a discussion forum if discussion of Christianity is off-bounds so long as you dont agree with what is being said? How do you think a Muslim member of this board feels when it is said that Mohammed was not one of God's prophets, or a Jewish member when it is said that God has a son? If you want total agreement with your own version of theology, maybe you would be better off with the Witnesses.

Sir, I don't mean to sound rude to you, but your idea's are unrealistic. Maybe you would be better off in a all Christian forum where you can all pat each other on the back and reassure each other that your beliefs are accurate.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Dave,

HS, Thank you for your concern about my health.

Hope that you are coping.

As far as my comments about you and Outlaw at the end of my last post, come on man, being a master of intelligent and sarcastic witticism that you have proven to be, I though you might at least be able to pick up on mine. IT WAS A JOKE!!! I think Outlaw who has read my posts over the years will get it.

Yes, I know this Dave and I did not misread the thrust of your post. My intention was to show that it is not always possible, in fact seldom possible, to know a person, their inclinations or intentions from their posts on a discussion Board, and as our names were mentioned I used them as an example. I took no offense at all at your usage, as I am sure that Outlaw did not either. You see just how easy it is to misread intentions and reactions in another persons post.

As far as SOME of the rest of your comments go…Just let sleeping dogs lie.

Fair enough Dave, suits me. Take care - HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit