What do you think is behind the watchtower change in 2008 ?

by 5go 100 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 5go
    5go

It will all be explained at the assemblies and conventions this year. Publishers would never miss those important events

Wow I might stay awake this time I hope they do !

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

but I sure think the smugness of the R and F will go to new heights now. This just proves to them the importance of going to the meetings, so they won't be left out of the WT loop,

Cost may well be a factor however I do not believe it's the primary motivation.

Whenever the work has gone under ban the witnesses adopted such tactics, restricting the flow of information, limiting copies of their literature and restricting who can attend the meetings. We are now seeing the first two being implemented and the last point was hinted at in an previous post.

They have always believed that the work would come to a halt, that there would come a time when the general public would be cut off from this so called "spirtual food"

Regardless of whether or not their beliefs in this area are correct, they believe them to be so and are obviously now laying plans for such an eventuality. You just can't stop a work like theirs on a dime. It has to be done in stages.

I firmly believe that they days of their preaching will soon be over because they will end it, not because the organization implodes or dies out.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

Whenever the work has gone under ban the witnesses adopted such tactics, restricting the flow of information, limiting copies of their literature and restricting who can attend the meetings. We are now seeing the first two being implemented and the last point was hinted at in an previous post.

They have always believed that the work would come to a halt, that there would come a time when the general public would be cut off from this so called "spirtual food"

Regardless of whether or not their beliefs in this area are correct, they believe them to be so and are obviously now laying plans for such an eventuality. You just can't stop a work like theirs on a dime. It has to be done in stages.

I firmly believe that they days of their preaching will soon be over because they will end it, not because the organization implodes or dies out.

Right. In fact, there have to be survivors into the New System [Rev. 7], but we've long heard that the preaching work would stop when the signal would be given for it. I wonder what is expected to get into when the preaching is stopped. I guess there will have to be an announcement as to what the change(s) will be.

• Mary
    Mary
    Ozzie said: Food at assemblies and the donation arrangement were driven by their desire to avoid tax.

Yes, but in hindsight, it would have been a much smarter move financially for them to just pay the damn tax. I saw 'disaster' written all over this when they first changed it....and I still believed it was 'the Truth' then too. Witnesses are notoriously cheap. If no one's watching, they won't pay.

As for the change in the Craptower magazines, I think it's a two-fold purpose: One is obviously to save money, although I thought Blondie or Scully posted something here not that long ago showing that they raked in over $900 million last year. Doesn't seem like they're too close to sleeping on a park bench any time soon with that kind of money rolling in. And second, I think they probably realize (from lurking here), that some of their doctrines are so totally whacked, that it's best that they're not readily available to an unsuspecting public. I don't think they're stupid enough to think that it's going to prevent the studies from falling into 'apostate' hands. I'll have full access to them and I'm sure a host of others on here will too.

What a mess they've created for themselves!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Here's a new thought - at least to me - that occured as I read thru part of this thread;

They do not charge for the Public Literature, except by voluntary donations. But sometimes, as mentioned they may be getting shortchanged there also, due to poor or cheap dubs at the literature counter.

Perhaps - just perhaps - they are planning on charging for the In House Watchtower - the study version - a fixed price? SInce they are not selling it to the public - no taxes on this I would assume - which is the whole reason the fixed costs were dropped to begin with at the time of Swaggart's lawsuit in California. They would not be 'peddling' a product with the dubs-only version - they are recovering costs [supposedly] for an in-house service they provide. Could this be why it will take almost a year to implement something they could do in two weeks time? They have further groundwork to lay, forms to create, lawyers to consult, in order to begin charging the Jw's for this magazine?

Thoughts?

Jeff

• under_believer
    under_believer

> Actually for the last several years, there is a Worldwide Kingdom Hall Building Fund for areas that can't afford it.

But Fred, where does the money in that fund come from?

That's right. Donations from mostly wealthy 1st-world congregations in the US and Europe. The flock is still paying.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

And so it should be. Freely you have received, freely give. There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving. It's the equalizing principle, that the one with little not have too little and the one with much not have too much.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

It is all based on business at this point, they must keep going to secure in the minds of others that they are the true religion.

abr

• Fred E Hathaway
  • Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

I think it's great that there will be a separation between the 2 types of material, Public edition and Study edition. We'll then see the difference between what is considered "milk" and "meat" more clearly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit