What do you think is behind the watchtower change in 2008 ?

by 5go 100 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    It's an on-going challenge, since Jehovah wishes that none should perish, but have everlasting life.

Jehovah wishes that none should perish. Satan wishes that all should perish. At the current rate, and according to the figures published by the govering body of Jehovah's Witnesses, a few millions are on the road to life and billions are on the road to destruction. Does this mean that Satan is a better organizer and motivator than Jehovah?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I agree that your understanding of "freely have you received, freely give" is skewed. In your current disfellowshipped state, what is the society providing you by way of shepherding and care? What is your mother providing by way of room and board, love and care?

Besides Kingdom Halls, the WTBTS also restores old movie halls and manages large facilities and landscaped properties. As far as I know, these facilities are not open for public use or for caring for the poor. (Other than Witnesses who have taken a vow of poverty, of course)

http://members.shaw.ca/theotrip/

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/40/

They are getting ready to sell off a property in Brooklyn right now, at a fairly hefty profit.

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/index.php/watchtower-money/watchtower-building-in-brooklyn-heights-for-sale/

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Lol - you're so right jgnat. I asked a JW that as their Kingdom Hall is only used for a few Meetings per week, then why couldn't they open it just for one morning to help the poor and needy (eg, as a soup kitchen). The response was - out of respect for the surrounding community, lol.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

perhaps a PM would be better for personal questions not directly related to the forum. I'll follow-up with you in my own PM, accordingly. Thanks and take care. All the best.

• Bluegrass Tom
    Bluegrass Tom

I listened to the whole letter be read aloud from the platform.

My take is that it is a cost savings move. They aren't getting the donations anymore and the membership is sliding away.

The monthly study copy being distributed at the magazine counter only to congo members is a move to keep the study articles away from apostates and the outside. I believe that there are so many ex-witnesses around that get the publications and use them to argue against the WTBTS that they are trying to limit what gets out. This way they may have some way to identify and track apostates that still have something to do with the congo.

I expect that the issue which is produced for the door-to-door work and public consumption will be filled with pablum so it can't come back and bite them like what has happened in the past.

PS.

Anyone that doesn't want to have anything to do with the WTBTS but still attends meetings is because they can't get out because of family involvement, social or work connections, etc. Change the rules of speaking to the DF or DA, and these people will be gone in a milisecond. Nothing more to worry about.

• Gill
    Gill

Money! The Green Stuff! Moohlah!!!

The Watchtower is dying! ( And about time too!)

• rockhound
    rockhound

My question: If the following statements "are still true", and as we all know, the Watchtower is the main means to spread the "Good News of the Kingdom" , then how will the people of the world get any spiritual food? No main study article, No spiritual food for the people of the world!!

1930 [since 1879 the Watchtower] "has been the means of communicating truth to those who love the Lord. All those who love God supremely believe that The Watchtower was started and has been maintained by his power and grace." (Light, J. F. Rutherford, 1930, p. 12)

1931 The Watchtower is not the instrument of any man or set of any of men, nor is it published according to the whims of men. No man's opinion is expressed in the Watchtower. (Watchtower, Nov. 1 1931 p. 327)

1937 "The Watchtower is issued twice each month and brings to its readers the current report which the Lord, in the exercise of his loving-kindness, manifests in the unfolding of his prophecies to those who are devoted to him....the Watchtower being the means the Lord is pleased to use to transmit his message of truth to the people, it is a real comfort to the remnant and the other sheep of the Lord to have this given to the regularly twice each month." (1937 Yearbook, p. 82)

1939 "It should be expected that the Lord would have a means of communicating to his people on the earth, and he has clearly shown that the magazine called The Watchtower is used for that purpose." (1939 Yearbook Of Jehovah's Witnesses, P 85)

ROCKHOUND

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Dear Brother Hathaway,

I wish you no disrespect. An unbiased observation of your comments suggests that your perception of reality has been strongly influenced by your desire to belong to a group that you have idealized to a point where it has grown to be something it is not. The majority of comments made on this board are by sincere persons who know intimately the lying and deception that the organization is capable of. We found out the truth and yes the truth sometimes hurts.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

I'm not Brother Hathaway since I am currently DF'd and using a pen-name. Call me Fred, if you wish.

My desire is to live forever on earth doing Jehovah's will, and the only way to do that is to go by the Bible 100%, which I don't think some of my actions/associations support. That's the problem of having "a double heart". For me, the one lying and deceiving is me to myself. I'm not willing to point any fingers elsewhere.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks Fred,

In reality, you do not have a double heart. You do in fact have a single brain. As you state, there exist certain contradictions within the reasoning function of your brain. You wish to live forever in a Paradise on earth because of the power of suggestion- that is a pleasant hope that has been held out to you. However important that hope is to you, other activities in your brain cause you to act contrary to it. Attempting to understand this contradiction could lead to tremendous personal growth. Perhaps there is a part of your mind that does not view your Paradisaic longings as reality-based and therefore participates in such anti-Bible actions. If your mind is not 100% convinced of your hope, try to examine the reasons why. If you continue to ignore the warnings of your mind this may lead to some sort of psychological break-down, if it hasn't already. Be careful. Best wishes.

P.S. I can call you brother if I want to. The local body of elders that disfellowshipped you has no authority over me should I choose not to give them that power. As a former elder who resigned in good standing, I know all too well that one j.c.'s disfellowshipping could be another j.c.'s reproving. It's also possible that one or more of the members of your j.c. is engaged in actions far worse than those that served as the basis for your disfellowshipping. I know for a fact that the Almighty did not participate in your j.c. Again, best wishes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit