What do you think is behind the watchtower change in 2008 ?

by 5go 100 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• zack
    zack

They will not get rid of the KM. What I think they WILL do is:

Consolidate WT Writing and Awake Writing into one department, currently they have different editorial staff, management, etc.... since these are "public" mags (and may be happening already. Didn't long time Awake Editor Harry Peloyan pass away?)

They will have the Service Department, which currently writes the KM, author the for-JW-only issue of the WT. This way, all liberal WT writers (of which there are more than a few)

will no longer have an influence on JW Doctrine. Service Department will be in charge of all dub thinking.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I and several other posters have suggested the new dubs-only WT published on the 15th of each month would be a logical place to fold in the KM at some future date. Perhaps that gave rise to the mistaken notion that the KM was going to be "eliminated." However, Blondie makes a good point in that the KM is for publishers only, and the WT with study articles in would obviously have to be made available to anyone attending the Sunday meetings, publisher or not, because they are expected to study and participate. Therefore, including the KM in the pages of the July WT seems less of a possibililty.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Echoing everyone else: This is all about cost savings.

With the Watchtower, there is only, EVER, one motivation for any change in policy, any action they take. The answer to any "why" question regarding the Watchtower ALWAYS comes back to money.

This was not always the case, but with our current, modern-day WTS, it is 100% always true.

There are, of course, other ancillary benefits, all of which have already been covered in this thread: simplification (some would say dumbing down) of the field ministry, marketing, etc... though I absolutely disagree that information control has anything at all to do with it.

But none of those reasons would have been enough. It's the money. With the Society, always follow the money.

ALSO: I heard the letter from the Society about this read in person, so I can speak authoritatively on one question that's been floating in this thread: The Study Watchtower is available to all baptized Witnesses, publishers, and interested ones. "Interested ones" was specifically mentioned in the letter. In practical terms, I imagine this means that anybody who shows up for a Watchtower study will be provided with copy the Study Watchtower--it is still a public meeting, after all.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    We're seeing the last 20 years of this religion

I only go that far in my dreams. There will be more severe cutbacks coming, though.
    PURE ECONOMICS

The Kingdom Ministry will be incorporated into the study mag. The Awake will disappear.
    The Watchtower will eventually disappear for the public, but they will say it's still printed
    (for the JW's). That could be a long time coming. Brooklyn properties will all be sold.
    Other holdings will be sold down the road- assembly halls then kingdom halls as the
    decline continues. Patterson will be the home for the GB (which will include other sheep).

Immediate future- tracts will be offered more and more. Pressure to baptize kids will continue
    because the "end is soooo near." Numbers will be negative in just a couple years virtually
    everywhere. They might try to have a "Welcome back the Disfellowshipped" campaign.
    The Borg, themselves, will start wild rumors through Circuit Overseers to see how the rank and
    file respond- if not too badly, changes will be made quickly.

• onacruse
    onacruse

OK then, let me ask:

What was the total printing of the Watchtower and Awake last year?

What were the total magazines reported as placed last year?

This is an honest question...I have no idea what the numbers are, and they may (or may not) put the lie to what I suggested earlier in this thread.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I can't answer the total numbers printed and placed, but they have always been
    way out of line. Each cong. was shown that a few years ago, and many times
    before that. The CO went around and showed the elders the total number of
    mags recieved each month (Say 250 of each mag, 2 WT, 2 Awake so 250 times 4 = 1000)
    then he showed the total placements each month (say an average of 680) and he told the
    brothers that they should suggest that the r&f cut down (by at least 300 in my example).

If they want to keep the costs down with this new arrangement. They will push more and
    more special tract months. They will have Memorial invitation time and Convention invitation
    time, possibly offering a third campaign of Kingdom News each or every other year.
    As they cut down on placements, they will add a category to the field service slip for tracts,
    and they will encourage the dubs to give more to the Worldwide Work box.

They will print millions less mags, and millions more tracts. Costs will reduce.

Later, they probably will combine the WT and Awake staffs (if not already happening) before
    phasing out the Awake completely. Maybe it will be "Watchtower/Awake" as many newspapers
    did as they merged.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

While loathe to give credit to the WT it seems like its a fairly sensible change that may save money (is that really a bad thing!?), will allow them to tailor there message to different audiences, is a very good way to enliven an old sales product. I don't think there is anything underhand or cynical in it.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

***"Interested ones" was specifically mentioned in the letter. In practical terms, I imagine this means that anybody who shows up for a Watchtower study will be provided with copy the Study Watchtower--it is still a public meeting, after all.***

I called Bethel about this and the gentleman was guarded in his answer. He made the distinction that the Public Talk was open to the general public, but the Congregation Watchtower Study was specifically for baptized members and unbaptized publishers only.

I asked him if I would be prohibited from attending the Watchtower study, since I am not baptized, and my study was ended by the the JW, not me. I still receive the magazines every month. He said there's no direction on that "at this time." He suggested that if I consistently attended meetings, I should have no problem continuing to receive either issue of the Watchtower, and I should be welcome at the study.

But he could not guarantee it.

I would like to see them announce that all non-members must vacate the premises because the "Congregation" study is about to begin! We shall see.

~Sue

• under_believer
    under_believer

I agree, Qcmbr. I think it's a very sensible, reasonable move for them to make.

On the other hand, I do like what it implies--that they are losing money, that they need to cut back. I think it's a hopeful sign.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I can't understand why there's two magazines for the public - surely the revamped Watchtower and revamped Awake! could be combined?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit