Stupid Brits!

by nicolaou 86 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

We had snow last night, but it's turned to slush today, and it's frickin freezing!

So, get your coat, you've pulled...

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    We had snow last night, but it's turned to slush today, and it's frickin freezing

Sorry to hear you have the snow already LT, but I bet you cope with it a lot better than we will here in Derby. 2 or 3 inches here, and the city grinds to a halt. There will be absolute chaos everywhere, if there isn't it will be a first. You'd think the local council had never seen snow before except on Xmas cards, the way they react. It's pretty cold here as well, and has been for the past few days.

i'll be digging my coat, gloves, scarf, woolly hat and fur lined boots out tonight in preparation, I think...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I recall it well from when I lived in Kimberley (half way between nottingham and Derby).

The Gulf Stream makes the climate temperate that, along with the salt air, stops the snow lasting long here.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I'd forgotten that you used to live in this area LT, I might even have seen you at an assembly or dc without knowing who you were. How long ago was that? I started associating with the jws in 1981, baptised 1983. I expect I'm a bit older than you, but we might remember each other when we do meet.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Love Honour & Obey + Sexy Beast with Ben Kingsley..

Will do, sir...

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

well of course we all have tea on the lawn every afternoon with cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off, we all know the Royal family personally, all the shops still close half day on Wednesday,it still gets very foggy hear and we all talk either in public information style British accents a la ( Mr Chumley-Warner) or salt of the earth British spiv east end (you want some whelks guvnor!)and of course our terrible teeth because of the fact we all smoke Capstan full strength ciggies,,,

• Dansk
    Dansk

And another thing, I hate crumpets!

Ian

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I love Crumpets

Linda:I left in 1990 to come home to Scotland. We would have been to the same District Conventions, and possibly Circuit Assemblies, too. I was in Derbyshire No.1 Circuit, as the hall for Eastwood Cong was just over the border in Langley Mill, but occasionally strayed to others, especially after they built Hellaby.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Our 'laissez-faire' attitude to things - we seem happier to moan about things than shift off our jacksies and do something!!

for example if there's a burst water main in the road, people don't think to phone the water company to report it, they just complain to each other that it hasn't been repaired - as if the company is supposed to know that there's a leak at that specific point on their network of several thousand miles of pipeline!

Same thing with power cuts, street lights etc etc etc - if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem....

and we wonder why the Aussies call us whingeing poms!!

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

It is SPOOKY! Do you think I have a gift?

Every year, it is sunny for three days in a row, and we declare a drought. Every year, we have an inch of snow and the country grinds to a halt. This happens every year, as if we had never seen snow or sunshine before.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6338151.stm

"Travellers are battling transport problems after heavy snowfalls across large swathes of England and Wales.

Luton, Stansted, Cardiff and London City airports have closed runways and train services have also been affected.

Schools in parts of England and south Wales are shut and drivers are being urged to travel only if necessary.

Up to 10cm (4in) of snow has already fallen in parts of England and Wales and more is expected across central and southern areas.

Severe weather warnings have been issued for Wales, the Midlands and for the south-east of England.

The deepest snow recorded so far fell in Worcester, where 10cm (4in) is lying and overnight temperatures plummeted to -4C (25F).

Elsewhere, 5cm (2in) has fallen in Benson in Oxfordshire and 4cm (1.5in) in west Wales, south-west London and Wiltshire."

Can you picture it? Up to 4" of snow!! Oh, the humanity!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit