CO/DO's in the UK?

by pobthespazz 202 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Pubsinger - thanks for asking - the leg/ankle all healed!

Crumpet.

It's true isnt it!!!! Good old LT and Tij having a go. They remind me of those two women Les Dawson and Roy Barraclugh used to dress up as.

(ooops maybe that's me giving away my age)

How's your leg(knee?) these days?

pub

And dont worry - I know who you are talking about. One of the Les's Roly Poley ladies became a Dame and was friends with my ex's mother - so I absolutely know who you meant! Bernadette - I was too young to even notice what he was wearing - he was just gorgeous. I decided on the spot if I couldnt have Anthony Andrews (Scarlet Pimpernel) or LT then Anton was going to be the one! Gill and Fleaman - I remember Brent and Jean well - I loved them both. Brent was ever so kind and always had us kids up on stage with our pictures and took the piss without us realising to the hysterics of the congregation. Thats why I dont understand those here who say they try and avoid circuit visits - because my memories are at worst of alleviatioon of the boredom and at best wildly entertaining. Jean used to chew gum all the time even at meetings which I used to watch in awe as a little 6 year old. I think we even had them to stay once. It was a terrible disappointment when we got David Algar and Richard Cullen after that. All I could remember of Richard Cullen was he had a very long nose which he appeared to look down.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Brent Smith was from Sheffield. I believe his mother was ill and he came off for a bit.

Great speaker, the "cripple through the roof" talk was great, as was the one about Hannah and Samuel.

But he was totally Pharasaical over. . .hair cuts.

He made a big stink about short hair cuts! This was the late '80s and the days of Bros, Jason Donovan and Rick Astley(). Basically the cut of the day was a 1940s cut but it was "worldly" because it had shaved and blended back and sides.

He caused trouble right across the circuit. I refused to change and more than that dared to argue my case. There were a couple of elders in there 60's who had exactly the same haircuts and had had them since the 1940's! I pointed this out and was told that they weren't following fashion! I told him that if that was the best he could come up with to forget it.

Thing was, he had a 1970's on the collar, over the ears cut like Elvis in his later years, which 20 years earlier he would have been "counselled" on.

Strangely enough I wasn't made a MS that year

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Oh Hi Crumpet.

Glad your leg's better.

You wipper snapper! Remembering being on the platform as a kid with Brent Smith. He was CO when I got married. We didn't invite him and we didn't name our kids after him.

Pub

• Gill
    Gill

He was very arrogant as I remember and had a thing about beards as well.

My cousin was hauled over the coals for his beard but would not remove it!

His pre wedding talks to couples were hard line on contraception and 'making sure' they didn't get pregnant to ruin their chances of pioneering!

I remember one girl telling me that he had instructed them that the wife must take the contraceptive pill and that she must not start taking it until the day after the wedding as it would be wrong in Jehovah's eyes and that condoms must not be bought until the day of the wedding also!

He may well have been a 'good laugh' and a 'great speaker' but he was a bit of a moron also!!

• Pubsinger
  • Gill
    Gill

Pubsinger - When it comes to Brent Smith...Mr Charismatic Speaker.....I rest my case.

I'm afraid he was way too much up his own arse as far as we were concerned!!!

I'm still wondering about his wife! I hope she is all right! I've seen too many JW men like Brent Smith and the misery they bring to other people's llives with their own unreasonable demands and feelings off power!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

dennis green gave a talk at a circuit assembly about trust..

he was making the point about not trusting someone you dont know and to illustrate he said that if tomorrow you had £2000 to put in the bank but you had no way of getting to the bank would you stand at your door and ask a passing stranger to do it for you..no because they would run away with it..but what if the circuit overseer went by..would you trust him..he didnt get an immediate response because the audience is still trying to work out where he is going with this..so he made a joke about us not being very sure but that he would cos he had got to know the co after spending a couple of weeks with him..

the co at the time was ray midgeley prompting the response from a nearby elder..

"i would give him £2000 and hope that he ran away with it"

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

ROFL

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/6496/109572/post.ashx#109572

was just on the "Your first post" thread. Went to have a look and came across this as my 4th post!

At least I'm consistent!

• bernadette
    bernadette

yup, pubsinger - Val the footballer, good fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit