CO/DO's in the UK?

by pobthespazz 202 Replies latest jw experiences

• helper
    helper

I was very interested to read some of the names thrown up by this request. JOHN BLANEY was well known to me and often refered to as "The Baron", a truly individual character who would almost always take a consitutional walk in the evening..to the nearest tavern. I first met him in 1953 while ungoing a Book Study with the Congegational Servant, as then known. John drove a vintage car that was as old as he was, at least we all thought so. It ended up as a chicken coup.

ALBERT BROAD I knew very well, a lovely laid back District Servant with a droll sence of humour. As I was the only person in the curcuit with a 16mm sound projector I was always used to show the Watchower films at conventions. Albert came to us after the previous DS was DF. Albert called everybody "mate". He came from the London East End and would tell how his parents would push a baby carrage, complete with gramophone to the entrance of Highgate Cemetory, where they would play Rutherford's talk on WHERE ARE THE DEAD?

Albert felt the answer was just behind them through the gates.

I often wonder what happened to Tom Dickenson and wife. As CS they often stayed with us. Tom and I would play our own personal game in the evening it as called "convention assigments". One of us would select a trade or profession and the other would choose the most unlikely assigment for the individual. Again Tom and his wife were a charming couple and good fun to be with.

Other names are Rupert Bradbury, ex-medical student and accomplished speaker.

Don Ward a gentle Texan with a delightful manner when giving Public Talks. Both he and Rupert Bradbury were on the District, Don Ward left these shores in the late 1950s

I guess I am giving my age away.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

yes you are

Especially calling them CS intead of CO's!!

Welcome to JWD. I find it really amusing (in a nice way) that a thread like this would prompt you to make your first post.

Pub

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I

cannot in the slightest way, understand why you lot are keeping this thread going!!!!!!!!

Twaddling on about why? What? Where?

Who gives a stuff about these people.

Move down the bus!

There is no earthly reason to have started the thread in the first place. Very weird indeed.

Lowden

I'm just enjoying seeing evidence in action that men are the biggest gossips! I don;t think its weird to reminisce - especially when you spent most of your life somewhere. If I meet up with old school friends we tend to chat about our old teachers so I'm not sure what's different or odd. HELPER - Welcome to the board - dont worry with this reminscing we are all showing our age! BERNADETTE =- I remember Anton Ions- and there was nothing to be criticised in his appearance at all. I fell in love instantly with him when I was 11 and he asked my Dad if I was his wife. Looking back - that was a bit odd!

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Crumpet.

It's true isnt it!!!! Good old LT and Tij having a go. They remind me of those two women Les Dawson and Roy Barraclugh used to dress up as.

(ooops maybe that's me giving away my age)

How's your leg(knee?) these days?

pub

• scotsman
    scotsman

I seem to recall Rupert Bradbury owning Afghan Hounds that attacked Jean Strickland.

But it could be the drugs...

• still wondering
    still wondering

If I remember rightly Doug Turnbull was the guy who was filching from the assembly contribution boxes over many years and had numerous liaisons with a number of pioneer sisters.

Tug Wilson (ex flying squad) caught him at it, got disfellowshiped, moved to Scotland and bought a large office cleaning company with his ill gotten gains and swore that someday he would be back.

Does anyone remember this?

• still wondering
    still wondering

this was in the late 50s early 60s. i'm pretty sure it was him as it used to be said that Turnbull turned out to be a "turncoat".

• bernadette
    bernadette

crumpet

I remember Anton Ions- and there was nothing to be criticised in his appearance at all.

I agree - very handsome, marvellous rich voice, good sense of humour, wasn't at all boring - you have good taste.

It was his clothing that got criticised - yellow ties matched with fawn trousers, camel raincoat. Once he got married he started dressing very smartly, sharp navy suits contrasting ties wow -

Julia's influence no doubt about it. He needed a woman's touch

bernadette

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I never liked David Bingham. He had no time for any individual publisher who had concerns.

• jason bourne
    jason bourne

are there any co"s that turned "apostate"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit