CO/DO's in the UK?

by pobthespazz 202 Replies latest jw experiences

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    His office basically has Penthouse views of London

i had to speak to ted buckingham once about becoming a marraige registrar..which he deals with....so i was down visiting some friends and had lunch at bethel and the person i was visiting was working in the office block but on a different floor..so she took me in and then i went up to his office..

man you would have thought i was an ira bomber...how did you get past security, who let you in, i thought i was gonna get to spend a night in the bell tower...anyway after he had calmed down and then responded to my questions on wedding procedures with answers to completely different questions..he gave me a tour of his room

doug turnbull that was the guy...genuinely nasty guy from what i have been told

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    I'm just enjoying seeing evidence in action that men are the biggest gossips!

and not just any men..

elders

and evidently x elders ( <---o look david carter)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Lowden:
    I see you're still reading and posting to the thread. Compelling, isn't it

Pub:
    And in contrast, I was having a go

Crumpet:
    It's nice to be able to let some of it out, after all these years. I don't think I've repeated these stories here before. Now that I'm not confined to the secrecy of the Elder body it's nice to be able to vent

• deeskis
    deeskis
    I seem to recall Rupert Bradbury owning Afghan Hounds that attacked Jean Strickland

I've got huge blanks in my memory from those times, but I do remember a lot of the names, and the Bradbury's/Afghan's does pull my chain?! I remember my mum said they had to get rid of them, don't know about the biting incident.

I love the way this thread had brought so many Scots out of the woodwork

• core
    core

John Blaney = old timer now long gone
    He was in the days when COs moved every week to new accomodation but if he liked it in the cong he was at he tried to stay put - he used to get sisters to iron his copy of the Daily Telegraph every day.
    He had a huge tie collection from admiring sisters - Pioneers mtg the was Tuesday aftyernoon so with John the meeting involved just unloading his old van of all his possessions into his new accom for the week - he had enough stuff to fill the Albert Hall - old gramophones, typewriters, tables etc. Used to claim that in the War he got onto trains and passed checkpoints by proclaiming that "stand aside....I am on urgent business for the King"
    His overcoat had more poachers pockets than a Dingle in Emmerdale and he always had 10 or so books in there - his favorite being the Babylon book
    Took him on a Back Call or Return Visit as now and the householder was not interested and quite curt - closed door - John went round the back and hammered on the kitchen door
    mad as a hatter but very popular
    could write a book of JB stories
    Buckingham - Ted & Jim - Ted was a DO then went into Bethel - Jim was in Bethel (purchasing?) - Ted in writing dept.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    Used to claim that in the War he got onto trains and passed checkpoints by proclaiming that "stand aside....I am on urgent business for the King"

one time he got a train he was late for to stop on the basis that he was an ambassador

i often heard oldtimers lament over the fact that thay dont make them like they used to..

but the truth is you just werent allowed to have any character as a jw..it was beaten out of you under the guise of developing humility and waiting-on-jehovah-and-not-running-ahead-of-the-org-everyone-has-to-be-a-clone-ness

• Gill
    Gill

Does anyone remember Brent Smith and his wife, I think her name was Jean?

The reason I ask, is that I remember him being a terriblly charismatic speaker. In fact the effects he had on congregations was bloody strange. The women and the men would trail round after him, with their tongues hanging out, metaphorically speaking. Even at that time, when me and husband were still 'in' we were embarrassed at the bahviour of people we knew. He was like one of those American evangelists who could grasp the attentions of huge crowds and keep them hooked.

He seemed an intelligent bloke but I remember his wife not being too pleased at the constant attentions he was getting from women, especially the young and attractive and 'blonde' ones. She was a pretty ginger haired lady, but she was in her early forties and I believe now, looking back on how she was, she was seriously depressed.

So!!! Does anyone know what happened to Brent and Jean Smith? He had a broad Yorkshire accent!

I'd be fascinated to know if they left Watchtower land......(sorry Lowden, but you know how it is....sometimes you just wonder what happened to so of the biggest fanatics around)

Brent Smith was also constantly being invited to give wedding talks and JWs named their sons after him!

Still makes me cringe thinking about the insanity of them all, and I have a lingering picture in my mind of us being late for FS one day and crowds of brothers all surrounding him and talking to him at once!!!! Very cringeworthy!

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Hi Gill

I remember Brent smith from the eighties.He was absolutely hilarious,i recall his PT about the cripple desperately trying to see Jesus and lowering into the room.He turned it into a complete comedy somehow.I dont know what became of him though.sorry.

Does anyone remember Geoff Young?He was a good sort,nice wife ,Vee or something ,nice old couple.Though he got my back up once when he reminded me that "Meeting attendance is not optional".Also had a problem with the brothers playing football and using "professional"language.I dont think he meant sick as a parrot etc.

• bernadette
    bernadette

Does anyone remember David Judd - did lots of temp co work. Also very charismatic.

I remember Geoff young - name only - everything else a blank.

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Fleaman!

You've reminded me of that 'comedy sketch' he used to do! Very funny! He used to do the 'funny routine' and that would grip his audiance. Then he'd come in with the low punches from the WTBTS!!!!

Very cunning!

It was he who said ' It doesn't matter how much of 'The Truth' you understand. Even if you only understand a tiny little bit of it and the rest makes no sense to you, as long as you LOVE 'The Truth', that's all that matters.'

For years I thought about that statement and how it made no sense at all. It took years to realise it was just WTBTS BS and nonsense!

He must have been well and truly brainwashed himself. He must have been totally blind as well, as he missed the misery, sadness on his wife's face that was obvious to everyone else who cared to look. She became ill and spent a few days in the Leicester Royal Infirmary, I believe it was. A caring consultant told her that she was depressed and needed to give up the ridiculous life she was living and have some children before it was too late for her.

But this was dismissed by all and sundry as the stupidity of a person of the world.

I wonder what happened to her. She was a lovely woman and she lost so much to the cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit