CO/DO's in the UK?

by pobthespazz 202 Replies latest jw experiences

• still wondering
    still wondering

has anyone mentioned?

John Blaney (what an arrogent bumptious fellow he was)

Tug Wilson (Smith Wilson ex flying squad circa 1960)

Ken Richmond (bang the gong guy on Rank films & ex Olympic Games wrestler)

• bernadette
    bernadette

John Wynn went to his heavenly reward a few years ago.

• still wondering
    still wondering

While we’re reminiscing does anyone remember the Wembley assembly in the early ‘60s using both the stadium and the hall when as part of a demonstration a very loud motorcycle ridden by a "Rocker" dressed in leathers startled the entire audience by roaring onto and around the large platform?

A warning I think that motorcycles are evil and from the debil or was it perhaps leather jackets? It made such an impression on me that I forgot which, so to be on the safe side from then on I assiduously avoided both. (became a "Mod")

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

local c.o is somebody lambie..he used to be down in the bristol area

anyone know harold tonks...he wanted to come off cos he was unwell but bethel persuaded him to stay on for one more time...and he died mid term

and who was the guy that ran off with someone and came back 5 years later and got appointed as an elder and became po but then got taken off being po cos he was lording it

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

Ken Richmond was in the Woking cong Surrey as either a M/S or elder as we visited them in circa late 80's early 90's

• scotsman
    scotsman
    local c.o is somebody lambie..he used to be down in the bristol area

Alistair Lambie. Quiet chap that loves hill walking.

and who was the guy that ran off with someone and came back 5 years later and got appointed as an elder and became po but then got taken off being po cos he was lording it

Know who you mean... owns the congregation in Thirsk. Millionaire.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Is that the same guy who was in Fort William, or am I thinking of another one?

Gah, this is so tempting, but some gossip is too salacious to post, like other COs who ran off with people. Needless to say the individuals are already to be found on our list.

Anyhow, Ole Ted...

He loves to use the District Assembly time to go on his vacation, usually by visiting a congregation and often in Scotland. He visited us a couple of times, so we returned the pleasure by staying in Bethel a few nights shortly before I DAed

After his wife died he managed to retain a double room. His office basically has Penthouse views of London, and his job entails double checking purchase requests from foreign (e.g. third world) countries and editing them if he thinks he can find the item cheaper somewhere else. It might only be for pennies, but our Ted will cut that corner.

It was on that trip that I found out he's also on the Writing Committee. I hadn't believed reports that non-Anointed folks wrote for the WTS, but here was one inthe flesh, so to speak. I also found that he had a penchant for getting new Bethel boys to wash his car, watching them throughout the process, and then criticising then for the quality of the job.

Personally I found him a lovely guy on visits, but I just it goes to show how anal Bethel can make a man...

• scotsman
    scotsman

Is that the same guy who was in Fort William, or am I thinking of another one?

Wasn't in Fort William

Just remembered - Doug Turnbull!

• bernadette
    bernadette

LT - I've sent u a pm.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Scots:
    Aye, I wasn't thinking of Doug. Funny what you find out about people you know

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit