Can we talk? . . .

by exwitless 107 Replies latest social humour

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The Watchtower Bible and TRACK Society.

I have this track for you to read. I bought a track of land.

Also covered on Seinfeld, the STATUE of limitations has run out.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Attempts at Elegant English:

"Between you and I...." This expression has been used for so long by so many distinguished writers that it has become commonplace; however, it is not standard English.

"Margaret gave the presentation to John and I." Wrong! Though the above ["Between..."] has become acceptable, this attempt at elegant English doesn't fly. "me" in place of the incorrect "I".

CoCo

• exwitless
    exwitless

Wow, you guys are awesome! I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who is anal about these things. Some of my favorites you've posted since I went to bed are:

The misuse of quotes. I went to the courthouse this summer to report for jury duty. On the front door, it said All Visitors "MUST" enter here. Why was "MUST" in quotes?

"Expresso" instead of Espresso.

I thought of a few more. "Prostrate" instead of "Prostate". People! "Prostrate" is the act of bowing down in an act of worship to a god, king, etc. "Prostate" is the male organ in which you often hear about men having cancer. You don't get Prostrate cancer, you get Prostate cancer!!!

"Of a morning". I don't even know where this came from. For example, a lady said to me recently, "When I get up of a morning, I take my medicine." How about in the morning?

"Star Track" NO!!! It's Star Trek; trek, as in a journey or adventure.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear exwitless,

"Of a morning" is regional. An old southern gal we knew used that expression. My fave English teacher commented that she had no idea why she said "rench" for rinse. She must have grown up in an area where grandma washed clothes at an old wash tub; after the washing, she "renched" them. I read that somewhere not so long ago.

Thanx for the thread!

CoCo

• BrentR
    BrentR

I never realized how many here are that bothered by spelling, grammar and punctuation. I feel much less comfortable posting now since these are not my strong points. One of the challenges with any forum is to get lurkers to become involved and contribute to the dynamics of it.

This forum in particular is very important for support and encouragement of ex JW's and those soon to be. Allow me to go on record and say I am more interested in hearing from all of you and offering support when I can then how well you spell.

Maybe when we can get through all of our depression, grief, alienation, confusion and frustration we can then work on basic english. It looks like we have fine group of willing teachers allready here!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Usually - almost always - my own, when I catch myself making a spelling or grammatical error!

I Scully

• exwitless
    exwitless

Hey, BrentR, don't take offense. As I stated on my first post on this thread, I posted it under the "humor" section, just for fun. Things I (and others) have posted about aren't necessarily errors we read on this board. They're just things in everyday life we come across. Don't feel uncomfortable about posting here-we all make spelling and grammatical errors! (In fact, I'm not sure I just spelled grammatical correctly).

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Brent,

You are absolutely right! Please forgive any seeming arrogance on our part. Many of us are educators and simply like to share. But it should not be at the expense of your feelings. Your writing is just fine and you should not feel inhibited. But for those who may truly have difficulty expressing themselves, we who were taught the basic tenets of love and compassion of our faith should put your sense of ease and comfort above so-called correct speech. I am lousy at typing and computer stuff and I really work at understanding all of it. Please do not stop sharing with us. Sometimes I get my feelings hurt here a bit, but I truly sense unconditional love and have at last found my "oasis." When I started at JWD and posted a piece "Persecution Begins on Monday," I was really distressed. The comments were direct but loving. FODN said we are your friends, jgnat kindly told me to take it easy and Mouthy gave me love and hugs, so to speak. I recovered. In future my sharing will be helpful and not off-putting. Please give us another chance! You do have much to offer us, and how you say it truly DOES NOT MATTER!

Love,

CoCo

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I never realized how many here are that bothered by spelling, grammar and punctuation. I feel much less comfortable posting now since these are not my strong points. One of the challenges with any forum is to get lurkers to become involved and contribute to the dynamics of it.

Don't feel bad! Heck, there are plenty of posters here who write in some language...it sure isn't English...and it takes me a minute to decipher what they are trying to say.

I've been here for about half a year. No one will correct your grammar. The only time I do it is when someone tries to have an INT4RW3B FL@ME B4TTLE with me.

No worries, dude. Stick around. I'll buy you some cookies!

• anewme
    anewme

Remember when you heard Revelations, instead of Revelation at the kingdom hall?
    I tried to correct a few to no avail. Some people are just not interested in making the effort to use correct wording.

This is a funny I have never shared. We had an old brother who always closed his prayers with what sounded like "Forgive us for our fallen shorts." Us kids just wanted to bust!

Anewme

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit