Can we talk? . . .

by exwitless 107 Replies latest social humour

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

If I were to meet with posters at an Apostofest, I would shower and wash and style my hair, choose something flattering to wear, use deodorant, and apply some make-up. If I turned up smelly and ungroomed, my fellow posters would make some assumptions about how much I valued their time and association, and my personal standards.

How can I present myself to my fellow posters on a discussion board? Do I believe that you are worth taking the time to type in standard English, use correct grammar and spelling, and set out my posts so that they are easy to read?

If I consistently misspelled key terms in the topic under discussion, would it be unfair to draw some conclusions about my level of understanding?

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I hate it when people use "try and" instead of "try to". Try what and? However it seems to be more and more commonly used so it looks as if it is becoming standard.

• Scully
    Scully

Narkissos:

I think that separating formal and normative skills (like spelling and grammar) from creativity and imagination is not a bad idea, especially in primary school (my daughter is 9, not sure what grade it corresponds to in the American system, but it works this way too). I feel the older system (when I was in school 40 years ago) which ranked everybody on a single scale with the grammar and math nerd on the top (I used to be there) was actually unfair to all, as the creative "dunce" was constantly discouraged and the schoolish type didn't see the need to work on other skills.

Up to a point, I agree with you. (BTW, your daughter would be at a level equivalent of Grade 4 here, as she is about 4 years younger than my daughter.) I can see keeping spelling and grammar somewhat separate from creativity and imagination in the earlier grades. I would definitely think it is beneficial to students to have some expectations along the lines of

We will be learning certain words in our vocabulary and spelling. The expectations are that 1) you will spell these words correctly, 2) understand what they mean, and 3) utilize them in proper context in your story writing, as you learn them and integrate them into your repertoire.

But, no, this is not what is happening. They learn certain vocabulary/spelling words in Grades 1 to 6, and although they should know how to spell all these words, the students still misspell many of them and they are not made accountable for their mistakes (until report card time, as we have discovered). They start learning grammar in a formalized manner by Grade 5 and 6. By Grade 8, these skills should be well on the way to being integrated by a student and used as part of the whole of their language skills.

Maybe I'm too strict as a mom, but my 13 year old is not allowed to type her stories on the computer until I see a complete handwritten draft of her story. She thinks I'm being mean. But I want to know that she is spelling and using grammar correctly, rather than becoming dependent on the word processor program to find and fix mistakes for her.

I cringe when I see kids using calculators to do regular math problems (the school encourages this!), including multiplying double and triple digit figures or doing long division. They won't know how to perform these skills without some kind of machine to help them.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Synonymns? --- Not Really:

Incredible: unbelievable
    Incredulous: unbelieving

"The yarns that the old man spun were so INCREDIBLE that all but the most gullible of his listeners were INCREDULOUS."

Continually: to do something at short intervals
    Continuously: without interruption
    Constantly: to do something often

"The library was CONTINUALLY making phone calls to the bookworm about his overdue books. As he is in pain CONTINUOUSLY from injuries suffered after tripping over a stack of magazines, he is CONSTANTLY taking medication, which dulls his brain and makes him forget about everything, including overdue library books."

Compound-Complex

• compound complex
    compound complex

Homonyms [words similar in sound and, often, in spelling]:

Counsel: advice or opinion
    Council: a governing agency

Lantern: a transparent, protective case for a portable light or lamp
    Lantern: an architectural structure, with open sides allowing for light and ventilation

Bugle: an elongated glass bead
    Bugle: a valveless brass instrument used for military calls

CoCo Cocoa

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I heard brothers say it was time to partition Jehovah in prayer.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Amber Rose reminds me of some hilarious cases of how people in the far countryside could use the strange archaic WT vocabulary. Of course most are untranslatable but some may be transposed. As this nice "sister" explaining to me that her daughter commited fornification but she had regulised (by marrying the guy) since.

• Emma
    Emma

I just want to say that I love this thread!

• exwitless
    exwitless
    I just want to say that I love this thread!

Thanks. (I say thanks only since I started the thread; everyone else made it awesome.) I'm kinda proud of this thread-it's the first topic I've ever started that has made 5 pages of posts! It's been quite entertaining.

• Roger
    Roger

Brilliant, I've thoroughly enjoyed this too. Of course, I take it all in the spirit in which it was intended.

A few of my own; when someone says they've 'learned' someone something instead of teaching them, or 'lent' an item when they borrowed.

Or when they 'won' someone else in a race instead of beat them.

And what about 'pacifically' instead of specifically.

And my point of the moment is 'less' instead of 'fewer'. Lynn Truss says she refuses to patronise supermarkets which have tills for 'ten items or less' when it should be fewer. [The rule is it's 'fewer' when there's more than one item (such as 'fewer people') but 'less' when it's a smaller amount of a single item ('less of a crowd'). It took me a little while to get the hang of, but once I did, it stick's out like a sore thumb.]

I'm terrified now about getting this post accurate, and realise that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but just can't resist it. I would never correct someone I didn't know well, and make sure they always know the spirit I offer it in.

And I LOVE prostate for prostrate, but sometimes have to correct myself before it slips out .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit