Can we talk? . . .

by exwitless 107 Replies latest social humour

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

AGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

And why, why, WHY... do you hear PROFESSIONAL METEOROLOGISTS ("weatherman") speak of themselves as "meterologists"? They got a degree just to read meters?

And... gods help me... on almost every Real Estate show you hear "RealAtor". AGGGGGGHHHHHHHhhhhhh!!! It's realTOR, you ludites!!!

Okay, I'm done. I'll try to calm down now.

*whew*
    Baba.

• Scully
    Scully

Since this is in the humour section....

A young Southern belle was seated next to a business woman on an airplane. The Southern belle thought she'd try to strike up a conversation with her seatmate. "So, where're y'all from?" she asked.

"Where I am from, we do not end sentences with prepositions," came the curt reply.

The Southern belle regained her composure and tried again: "So, where're y'all from, bitch?"

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Homer: "Nuke-u-lar. It's pronounced Nuke-u-lar."

• Scully
    Scully

OMG YES!! LMAO

• exwitless
    exwitless

"Pamplet" or "Panflet". NO!!! It's "Pamphlet." Pronounced Pam-flet. Not Pam-plet or Pan-flet.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I just watched that last night. Season nine is AWESOME!

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

Some people spell too as to. ie The WTS is to powerful instead of writing too powerful

• Scully
    Scully

"Your child should bring their backpack tomorrow." NO!!! It should be "Your child should bring his or her backpack tomorrow."

Actually, in French, one would say "Votre enfant devrait apporter leur baluchon demain." (leur = their) Or, if you knew that the child was a girl, you would say "Votre fille devrait apporter son baluchon demain." The object "baluchon" is a masculine noun, therefore we use "son baluchon" regardless of whether the person using it is male or female. If we wanted to say "Your son should bring his suitcase tomorrow" we would say "Votre fils devrait apporter sa valise demain." The object "valise" is a feminine noun, therefore we use "sa valise" regardless of whether the person using it is male or female.

It's ( notits or its' ) really a pity that the English language does not have a half-decent gender-neutral pronoun.

• exwitless
    exwitless

As a nurse, I really hope I can educate people about the word "Alzheimer's". It's pronounced Allz hi merz. NOT "All timers", "Alls timers" or my favorite "Old timer's". THERE IS NO "T" IN ALZHEIMER'S!!!

• Scully
    Scully

We use a term in neonates - "dusky" - when an infant has an apneic spell and becomes cyanotic.

One of our recent grads was charting such an incident, but said that the baby became "dusty".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit